New Progression server in the works

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

New Progression server in the works

Postby Tossica » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:59 am

Not sure on release date but it's coming.

I logged in to Vulak again for the first time in a few years and started up a new toon. It seems like there are two distinct paths you can take. One of them is the "easy button" where you go through Crescent Reach and level up super fast, rarely die, etc. The other is to just start in the old school zones. This provides a welcome challenge and has removed a lot of the really frustrating crap that made trying to be a casual player impossible back in the day. I only got a couple of hours in to it last night but Everquest is still King, IMO. People complain about being able to create instant lvl 85 toons, free overpowered armor, etc but really, the game seems to be what you make it. They still have a hard path in place if you choose to take it.

I enjoyed my few hours and look forward to getting some more time in when the new progression opens up. If anyone else wants to play, let's get a plan together. I can do like one night a week. Old school content with new features and engine. Fun!
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: New Progression server in the works

Postby Zanchief » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:14 pm

Crescent Reach isn't that much easier than other zones to be honest. It's just a bit ore streamlined as far as quests and things go. More mobs and quicker spawn times to support more players, and there is an exp bonus in those zones (at least there were when I was playing a few years ago). We had a lot of fun, but some of the streamlines did annoy me. Its just a bit annoying getting past how the game is homogenized near the end. Everyone has the same gear stats are very similar.

It's fun crushing old zones though. I'd farm HS with Zanchief and get gear that would sell pretty good in the bazaar. People still pay a lot for Erud Masks.

I don't think I'd be able to play on a new progression server right now, but I'd like to.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:51 am

Quest rewards through Crescent trivialize all of the old world content. Plus you can level up to 50 without leaving your backyard.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:06 am

just play p99 if all you want is old content? why bother with progression servers
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:21 am

Drem wrote:just play p99 if all you want is old content? why bother with progression servers

I want old content but with some of the newer game engine put in. It's a nice balance between old school and new.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:37 am

you mean like shadows and post processing or something else? the p99 engine looks about the same as the current one. it has shadows, but not post processing

i just resubbed to eqlive last night. playing any other mmo eventually makes that happen.

i have a 91 on FV and erollisi if anybody wants to fuck around
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:19 am

More that they've taken out some of the REALLY tedious things that make it very difficult to be a casual player on the progression servers. I want old world content with some of the features of the newer expansions. I am actually having a blast right now going through old world content with my healer bot. As much as I thought I'd hate mercs, it's really fun and challenging to take on dungeons solo.

Actually, what I'd really like is a server that comes up with OG, Kunark and Velious content but the level cap is 50 for some period of time. No new content ever and people are welcome to attempt the higher level content with their armies of lvl 50 zerglings. No Luclin, no PoK, no Planes of Power, etc. Just the original trilogy with a time period between level cap increases.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Tossica wrote:Actually, what I'd really like is a server that comes up with OG, Kunark and Velious content but the level cap is 50 for some period of time. No new content ever and people are welcome to attempt the higher level content with their armies of lvl 50 zerglings. No Luclin, no PoK, no Planes of Power, etc. Just the original trilogy with a time period between level cap increases.

This is actually a really good idea. It would make leveling up easier as people would have access to a bunch of extra zones for mobs while the big crunch of people come into the game. Plus it would add a huge challenge to those people who know the game inside and out and are just ready to steamroll all the noobs. They might be trying the harder stuff. Could be really interesting. I'd raise the cap to 55 after a year or so and go from there.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby 10sun » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:38 pm

I patched up a couple days ago.
I'm debating on re-upping.
FV as well; fuck The Nameless.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tossica » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:22 am

Too bad it's not going to happen. That would be pretty much my ideal server.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:57 pm

Tossica wrote:Too bad it's not going to happen. That would be pretty much my ideal server.

How wild would OS and HS be as raid zones? How far could people get? That would be fun.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:34 pm

10sun wrote:I patched up a couple days ago.
I'm debating on re-upping.
FV as well; fuck The Nameless.

Weird, I just re subbed. I got that ranger almost to 92. Gonna transfer Drem soon but the damn name's taken

Anyways, we should hit some 16th anniversary content sometime

Except I'm going to Texas for a week in 18 hours
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:28 pm

Zanchief wrote:
Tossica wrote:Too bad it's not going to happen. That would be pretty much my ideal server.

How wild would OS and HS be as raid zones? How far could people get? That would be fun.

Wonder if anyone could equal LOS's record of getting through Plane of Sky with the L50 level cap in place. (Horse island, IIRC) Alternately, assuming the aggro AI for mobs is still the "charmed mobs generate zero aggo" nerf they did halfway through real Velious because of how we did the Avatar of War, I am curious as to whether anyone would be able to down him without any of the Luclin content, like no one but us and FOH did.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:15 am

The Sky thing was done in P99, I'm pretty sure.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Harrison » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Some things to note about beating an emulated sky:

Knowing every fucking little detail about it ahead of time.(biggest thing, IMO)
Adjusted combat tables, damages were/are off, some mobs weren't properly quadding/tripling or whatever at the time(a lot of patching has gone back and fixed this)

I think we can all agree it was a much greater accomplishment doing it for real than on P99 for many reasons.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:16 am

Arlos wrote:
Zanchief wrote:

Wonder if anyone could equal LOS's record of getting through Plane of Sky with the L50 level cap in place. (Horse island, IIRC) Alternately, assuming the aggro AI for mobs is still the "charmed mobs generate zero aggo" nerf they did halfway through real Velious because of how we did the Avatar of War, I am curious as to whether anyone would be able to down him without any of the Luclin content, like no one but us and FOH did.

If anyone knows anyone that still has any influence at Daybreak or whatever they are called now, should get this lvl 50 capped, OG, Kunark, Velious server rolling ASAP!
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:14 am

Leveled my first toon to 50 since 2001. Sure is easier these days.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Bloodberri » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:32 pm

Hello strangers, anyone else playing on Lockjaw? So far i've seen Garg and Tork, not sure if they still play, Ravox and Buddaboo.
Bloodberri
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Tossica » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:40 am

Some day I'll get time to play again.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:17 am

They need to release Kunark and leave the level cap at 50 so the hardcores can keep busy beating their head against the wall. I might play then.

Right now the game is full of 6 boxing mages that grief named mobs. Doesn't seem fun to me.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:43 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:51 pm

people would eventually find a way
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:57 pm

Tikker wrote:you couldn't do kunark at 50

so much of a the spell success was based on levels, imo, it'd be impossible to beat the dragons

All that matters is they would try. You want the ultimate challenge? That would be it.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Return to Everquest General Discussion