I'm out of EQ

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Postby TStorm » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:08 am

Wow needs a nice content expansion. Not necessarily high end dungeons but additional content across the board. That obviously is coming with the expansion but it's going to be out almost 2 years before that happens.

They should've aimed for the 1st year imho.

I can get a character up to about level 20 but then the god awful barrens quests start and there's really nowhere else to go. After my 4th time through I can't do them anymore. :( I have a 60, 51, 25 and 20. There's so much more to do in EQ. Too bad I went psycho-addict crazy when I played it. Daoc suffered the same problem Wow is having atm. Content is so easy at times that people breeze through it before the fresh stuff arrives. Thank god our guild is about 6 months behind others.

P.S. We downed Ebonroc for our 1st time. What a jackass encounter!!!
TStorm
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Ginzburgh » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:26 am

MC + Onyxia + original outdoor raid mobs + ZG is 1 night worth of content

Yes but at least there is:

BWL
AQ20
AQ40

I don't know what you want here. If you want to play 24 hours a day than I guess you would run out of content. It's fine for someone who plays 20 hours a week.

And keep in mind, there is only a ton of content in EQ because it's been around a lot longer and they have added expansion after expansion.

If you want to talk original EQ, how many times could you run the planes and guk before getting tired of it?

there was still some neat clickable items, or situational items worth having that you could spend time camping, that just doesn't exist in WoW

I'm sorry but this statement is incorrect. I will cite two of many examples:

http://www.thottbot.com/?i=52548
http://www.thottbot.com/?i=52390

Those are two that I am going for on my off time. There are MANY more than just those, those are just the ones I am going for at this particular moment. In addition to those, you can spend time trying to acquire nice trade skill recipes.

You quit before BWL, a lot more has been added, bottom line. You are arguing with a person who plays.

It's like saying a movie sucks when you haven’t seen it and arguing your point with someone who has seen it 10 times.

Or, it’s like me arguing that EQ has no content when I quit after the first expansion.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Ginzburgh » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:28 am

P.S. We downed Ebonroc for our 1st time. What a jackass encounter!!!

Congrats, you guys will be through flamegor to Chromag your next run.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:39 am

Ginzburgh wrote:
I don't know what you want here. If you want to play 24 hours a day than I guess you would run out of content. It's fine for someone who plays 20 hours a week.

And keep in mind, there is only a ton of content in EQ because it's been around a lot longer and they have added expansion after expansion.

If you want to talk original EQ, how many times could you run the planes and guk before getting tired of it?

no, you're still missing my point

You couldn't clear all of guk the very first time you hit it

you could spend 2,3,4 days of gaming in most of the EQ dungeons before you completed them

In WoW it generally takes 1-2 hours to completely clear a dungeon for the very first time

Look at a zone like OS, or Lguk
there's probably parts of the zone you've never been in

you probably can't say the same for any of the WoW zones (cept maybe scholo cause no one goes there )
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Ginzburgh » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:37 pm

Steer clear of words like "any". If you are referring to the lower level dungeons, scholo, strath, upper and lower brs then yes, your average group can run through those dungeons and kill every boss in reasonable amount of time. Wether its 1 or 2 hours or more, it's debatable depending on the group and how experienced the players are.

But as we've discussed earlier, the 40 man raid dungeons are a different story. The "Very first time" you step into places like that takes multiple days to complete the entire thing. But you have already stated that you werent referring to the 40 man raid dungeons so thats a non-issue.

WoW works for me because I have the luxury of not having to do those lower level dungeons you were referring too.

And you are wrong there :P

I think we can go back and forth and neither of us will be able to convince the other. You like EQ for your reasons, I like WoW for mine. Neither of us are wrong, it just comes down to what you enjoy.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:08 pm

Ginzburgh wrote:Steer clear of words like "any". If you are referring to the lower level dungeons, scholo, strath, upper and lower brs then yes, your average group can run through those dungeons and kill every boss in reasonable amount of time. Wether its 1 or 2 hours or more, it's debatable depending on the group and how experienced the players are.

But as we've discussed earlier, the 40 man raid dungeons are a different story. The "Very first time" you step into places like that takes multiple days to complete the entire thing. But you have already stated that you werent referring to the 40 man raid dungeons so thats a non-issue.

WoW works for me because I have the luxury of not having to do those lower level dungeons you were referring too.

And you are wrong there :P

I think we can go back and forth and neither of us will be able to convince the other. You like EQ for your reasons, I like WoW for mine. Neither of us are wrong, it just comes down to what you enjoy.

you're still missing the point~

comparing end game content of WoW to leveling zones in EQ isn't remotely a fair comparison
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Ginzburgh » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:14 pm

Oh I thought we were talking about end game. You said you had a level 60 shammy with full giantstalkers so I thought you left the game because of a lack of end game content.

In that case I agree.

Leveling in WoW does not have the epic feeling leveling in EQ had.

However...we might be biased because EQ was the first MMO we played. (I'm assuming EQ was your first MMO).

I am always the first to say that I never had fun like I did when I first played EQ. Aside from a virtual reality game, I doubt I'll ever be able to replicate the feeling of running a train up the ramp in blackburrow the first time.

Leveling in WoW is just a mad dash to 60. It's like a pie eating contest, the first person to finish wins but he probably doesn't enjoy eating the pie along the way.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Captain Insano » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:27 pm

I really have to say in it's current form EQ feels like a much more developed and *adult* game.

Even with all the things that have made it easier to level in EQ it is still a damn difficult game when compared to WoW. That includes both progression and end game content.

Grinding the late 60's in MPG is hands down more difficult then any of the snore-fest dungeons in WoW.

I will say that MM's are an absolute joke. They should have been implemented as a slow way to level and have a bit of fun. THe HHK MM should not have been implemented at all. Too many people cruised right to 70 with it and can't play for shit. IMO it was a big mistake on SOE part, but one that has been rectified.

By the way Lyion... before you hang up your sword for good with EQ you might consider hanging onto your gear and toon and spending some time in Shadows of Dissolution, the current guild for most of the people here on NT.

The guild is progressing very nicely through PoP among raiding other good content and having a lot of fun in the progress. I wouldn't be surprised if in 3 months or so the guild is fucking around in Anguish and the PoR endgame zones.

It might be worth sticking around for.
Tossica: No, you're gay because you suck on cocks.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Mazzletoffarado: That's me fucktard
Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:33 pm

I don't play EQ to raid, I play to kill shit with the smallest amount of people possible.

My personal favorite exercise is solo'ing with my druid in Kunark, two boxing Velious, three boxing Luclin, and running around doing stuff that I see full groups fail do with just two or three characters.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tikker » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:35 pm

Ginzburgh wrote:Oh I thought we were talking about end game. You said you had a level 60 shammy with full giantstalkers so I thought you left the game because of a lack of end game content.

hunter ;) Giantstalker gear is hunter lewts

Ginz wrote:
Leveling in WoW does not have the epic feeling leveling in EQ had.

However...we might be biased because EQ was the first MMO we played. (I'm assuming EQ was your first MMO).

I played UO for a year and a bit before I jumped over to EQ
I really enjoyed wow, but I agree. none of it felt as epic as EQ (except the first time you kill onyxia, and hit up orgrimmar to see the head placed on the pike ;)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Ginzburgh » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:44 pm

hunter Giantstalker gear is hunter lewts

pwnd :(
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Sorina S » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:26 pm

Tikker is exactly right. I played WoW from day one and was done by May. It's really nice looking but too damn easy. Personally I don't ever think there will be an MMOG world like EQ1. It's all old hat now, and game designers including the EQ1 folks have given way to the demands of the game playing public.

These games are simply too easy to negotiate. There's no mystery left in them there's no real dynamic world, just a bunch of predictable scripts. That's not to say something down the line might be better, and I don't know jack about EQ2 maybe it's as intense. But WoW is just a graphic party with some interesting combat functions and no real challenge. Very predictable.

Iyion, all the best in all your virtual worlds, and the real one as well.
God made man! But a monkey supplied the glue...
Sorina S
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Jazendar » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:36 pm

The same reason I quit Sorina. Unfortunately, It took me 4 more months than you to beat it. =/
Jazendar
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Aatrex » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:06 am

The three building blocks imo of EQ's success are: mystery, community and difficulty/learning curve.

Spoiler sites kill these type of games unfortunately - no mystery, no fun.
Aatrex
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Captain Insano » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:54 am

raiding with rust and that whiny cleric GL - no mystery, no fun.
Tossica: No, you're gay because you suck on cocks.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Mazzletoffarado: That's me fucktard
Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:02 am

tonight we tried to kill guardian of the high priest in tunare shrine... that mob is a really difficult encounter that we weren't able to figure out yet with the classes that showed up (have killed before, np) and i can't find any spoiler sites at all for it except for what loots it drop; or at least not from a quick search, which is all i'm willing to give it.

there is still mystery and fun, but you need to be doing the right things. encounters that make your guild need to form new strategy to win it... especially now that so many new raid encounter doesn't need keyed, it just limited with low amounts of ppl, so each raid you will have to adjust your strategy based on your players. some raid limit now just 24 or 42... so it forces you to build your strat based around kiting, mezzing, or TMing to win. sometimes the right class won't show up for raid, so you have to figure out a new strategy with those that are there. this new method of raid also is killing zerg guilds, which is great. the game is really fun now, imo, and is reaching velious-level satisfaction for me again
Last edited by Drem on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jazendar » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:12 pm

I'm having a lot of fun right now. Unfortunately, it isn't really clear where the best place is to level at, so i'm kind of wandering around checking out all of my favorite zones, which doesn't bother me a bit. They revamped a lot of the old stuff I thought they wouldn't, they added a bunch of cool new zones and I see myself sticking around for a lil while. Hit 61 last night, slackboss I know. I'm after thoz fablez~
Jazendar
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Previous

Return to Everquest General Discussion