I'm out of EQ

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

I'm out of EQ

Postby Lyion » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:07 am

After playing EQ and having fun and reminiscing some, I think I'm done. WOW and EQ2 are just so much better games for me through and through, I'm out.

I'd go All Access if I had a group to screw around with, but really I'm not enjoying EQ much after playing it for a few months. Well, given that SWG sucks ass, PS is just another FPS, and I don't own The Matrix I can't think of a reason to get All Access.

I've geared up my beastlord, cleric, and my rogue and done several pick up raids and a ton of grouping. The game really shows its age, and EQ invalidates content while rolling out new expansions, a la 5 years ago. There are assloads of time sinks and a lot of mass and content, and some cool parlor tricks. However, I think they need to completely overhaul the game and bring it out of 1999. Until they do, they'll continue to bleed subscribers, although I'm not sure how they can justify uberizing EQ with EQ2 as their main bread and butter game.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jesus » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:22 am

You mind if I get the gear I gave you back?
Jesus
NT Bixie
NT Bixie

Postby Lyion » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:35 am

Jesus wrote:You mind if I get the gear I gave you back?

IM me and you can nab it all. You can even use the account, as it has two more months on it. Beastlord account is expired, but rogue/cleric one is open until May.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tsupa » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:25 pm

damn lyion, that sucks... i was just about to rope you into joining a weekly DoD group that i do with a paly and ranger... I think you should try some of the raiding (not pickup) before you leave for good... that's the most fun in EQ these days
Tsupa
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Captain Insano » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:59 pm

Can I have some free gear? I'm pretty broke and will be playing for a long time to come.
Tossica: No, you're gay because you suck on cocks.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Mazzletoffarado: That's me fucktard
Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:20 pm

Just have Goose take you to Ro. The armor quests there drop very good stuff that's fairly easy to get.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tsupa » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:15 pm

lol, everyone after your stuff Lyion.... if you decide to come back again, let me know and i'll get you into my weekly DoD group ...
Tsupa
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Drem » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:00 pm

the only bleeding subscribers they have are the ppl that don't have the patience to get good. it's just ppl that want all their shit NOW NOW NOW

and what do you mean by "bringing the game out of 1999" ? i hope they don't change it. that'd be like changing ultima online to a brand new graphics engine just because of a few subscribers that only care about the newest coolest things to look at, since they can't have fun actually playing the game. i don't think there's anything that needs to be fixed in EQ aside from some class balance issues and i think the majority of the playerbase agrees. and of course new expansions phase out old expansions. i don't see you bitching out wizards of the coast for how magic cards ruined the black lotus by putting out 17,000 new expansion packs with newer, better black loti. you're obviously just looking for something that EQ can't offer you: immediate satisfaction in a huge social atmosphere

peace out man~
Last edited by Drem on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:19 pm

Play WoW with me on Draenor server.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:12 pm

WoW isn't half the game that EQ1 is

it looks 100000x better, runs smoother, etc etc but has fuck all for replayability
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Captain Insano » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:48 pm

WoW is like Mario Kart while EQ is like racing NASCAR IRL.
Tossica: No, you're gay because you suck on cocks.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Mazzletoffarado: That's me fucktard
Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:17 pm

Is there an MMO that compares to EQ? I always thought EQ was ok cept it was enjoyable because of the playerbase.
Jay

Postby Ouchyfish » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:43 pm

captain_insano wrote:WoW is like Mario Kart while EQ is like racing NASCAR IRL.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Lyion wrote:If Hillary wins Texas and Ohio, she'll win the nomination.

Tossica wrote:Seriously, there is NO WAY Sony is going to put HD-DVD out of the game.
Ouchyfish
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:41 am

Tikker wrote:WoW isn't half the game that EQ1 is

it looks 100000x better, runs smoother, etc etc but has fuck all for replayability

I agree both EQ2 and WOW aren't nearly as loaded as EQ, but both have a direction and aren't in the content bait and switch mode EQ is.

The problem isn't EQ, it's trying to do anything due to this. EQ has wonderful content and very cool things to do and I like the game. The graphics and engine are dated, but the content owns. SOE for some reason is still in the same 2000 mentality of nerfing everything but uberizing the new expansion zones which causes people not to want to do the other stuff.

Outside of Ro, my problem is getting a group to do anything, except camp WOS, DON Creator, or one of a few other spots is next to impossible. The monster missions are a blast and have decent rewards. I've had fun exploring Ro, but again unless one has a set group then EQ is very difficult, unless you just want to camp WOS over and over, which I sure do not.

I levelled my Rogue to 70, so I don't really want to level another character, although that was more fun than sitting in WOS or DON Creator.

I guess my big problem is EQ just isn't friendly for returning players trying to do different things unless you have a set group to do them with. Since I know nobody in Euphoria, Sanctuary is gone, EQ has long passed me by, it seems

I have fun with 10 and Goose, but I despise being reliant on a few others to do things. My only other option is dual boxing to explore and check out new stuff, which I was trying to get away from, but looks like it's really the only option for being independent in EQ.

I'm going to finish building out my new second pooter, and maybe I'll play some more since my account is open for 2+ more months.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Yamori » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:17 pm

I think the grouping problem is due to the game being filled with level 70s who are utterly horrible at the game and have no idea wtf they are doing.

SOE sort of started building that coffin when they released Luclin, where 80% of the zones were outdoor, and people could very easily level to 60 without ever learning how to properly pull/tank/crowd control/snare/heal/ect. You just can't learn that when mobs are spaced out all over the place and you can simply run to a zoneline when the going gets rough.

Almost every new expansion just added an extra nail to this...

Now the game is at the point where a ton of the level 70s out there have absolutely no idea how to do actually challenging content in a group, since all they've done is Outdoor/MMs/DoN stuff, and inviting people you don't know into an actually interesting group is a huge risk.

I dunno what the solution is... because in the state of the game, leveling to 70 and getting basic gear (by current standards) really does need to go by pretty fast. It just isn't worth it to spend 150-200+ hours to get a character up to the upper levels like it used to be, especially since lower level groups are practically nonexistent now.

I guess ideally they could SERIOUSLY beef up certain dungeon exp rates (as in, 2x, 3x normal xp), to the point that all the new players would conglomerate to them and at least get some actual grouping experience.
-Yamori
AKA ~~Baron Boshie of the Nameless~~
Yamori
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Gargamellow » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:52 am

bummer cya

/em logs onto EQ for the five gazillionth time

p.s. seriously, i woulda grouped with u had i the time
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:37 pm

i agree with yamori. somewhere along the line it became really easy to get to lvl 70 and now you've got a bunch of people that either 1) press auto attack or 2) press their spell hotkeys. those people can't do much outside of that. there isn't much pains for dying these days, either, so most people don't even try to utilise all of their abilities to survive in a pinch. i've been in numerous pickup groups lately where just because we pulled two mobs or because somebody died, half the group would scream and run to the nearest zone immediately
Last edited by Drem on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Dylan » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:41 pm

i agree with yamori. somewhere along the line it became really easy to get to lvl 70 and now you've got a bunch of people that either 1) press auto attack or 2) press their spell hotkeys. those people can't do much outside of that. there isn't much pains for dying these days, either, so most people don't even try to utilise all of their abilities to survive in a pinch. i've been in numerous pickup groups lately where just because we pulled two mobs or because somebody died, half the group would scream and run to the nearest zone immediately
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ginzburgh » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:56 am

WoW isn't half the game that EQ1 is

Everquest - Released March 16, 1999
World of Warcraft - Released November 23, 2004

A four year head start does wonders for "replayability". See you in 2011. Maybe WoW will have guild halls by then!
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gargamellow » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:05 pm

dude...leveling has become easy, but there are a billion things people weren't able to do because they weren't able to level...

just goes to show you that you can't please everyone
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Ginzburgh » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:13 pm

dude...leveling has become easy, but there are a billion things people weren't able to do because they weren't able to level...

just goes to show you that you can't please everyone

You failed to quote. Was that comment directed at me?
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gargamellow » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:17 pm

I wasn't quoting babe..just running my mouth
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Ginzburgh » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:25 pm

Oh, because you're making no sense.

Glad to see nothing has changed here on the Nameless Tavern.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gargamellow » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:31 pm

i make perfect sense to anyone with a brain
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:40 pm

EQ2 is too easy also. I cannot tell you how many 50+ people haven't a clue on how to play their class or how to group properly. If you do manage to find someone who has a clue you add them to your friends list pretty quickly. :)
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Next

Return to Everquest General Discussion