Troubador or Dirge

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Troubador or Dirge

Postby Ginzburgh » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:43 pm

I'm buying EQII today.

I want to play a bard type charector. Troubador looks like a buff friendly charector while Dirge looks like a DPS charector.

Is there an obvious reason why I should pick one or the other?
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:34 pm

They're fairly equal actually. I play a troub and I love it.

I tried a dirge and while I only played to 14ish I didn't really see much differences. When I get time I'd like to at least play to 30 to get a better feel, they probably don't differentiate much until 20.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Ginzburgh » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:47 pm

Yeah I was looking at the songs and they seem pretty similar.

Are they sought after for grouping?

And what race should I go for? Does it matter? If not I was hoping for halfling (if that's possible).
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:56 pm

You can play any class with any race. You'd have to betray to do it but it's possible. A halfing bard-type isn't an issue that way though. There are slight differences in starting stats but they don't seem to affect things as drastically as they did in EQ.

I never have troubles getting a group. I rarely try for one outside my guild, though, but on the occasions I have it's been pretty painless.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Ginzburgh » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:59 pm

Awesome, thanks.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby mofish » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:32 pm

Bards are neutral, so you can be either a troubador or a dirge in qeynos (where asslings hail from).

From what I gather, they are very similar, neither one gimped. The general consensus is that dirge's buff melee better and troubadors buff casters better. They both get health/mana regen. The troubador gets charm, and mezz. The dirge gets fear, and something. both good classes, cant go wrong either way Im sure.
mofish
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Adivina » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:09 pm

Too bad fucking fury's are not equal to every other damn healer. Quit my main after I got tired of being outhealed by people 5 levels below me. (I would heal for 190something and someone five levels below me of a different healing class would be healing for almost 400...) The only decent heals furys get are the group ones. If I have a shammy type to back me with wards its ok, but otherwise fury heals are fucking pathetic.
Donnel wrote:
Erodalak wrote:Who needs an education when you are hawt like advina

fixt :P
Adivina
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby mofish » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:29 pm

Furies heals get much better at higher level, they get a specific heal, I cant remember, but its very good. Also Furies out-dps all other priests by a mile. And yummy group invis. But its good you quit, they are like the FOTM healer, so many damn furies runnin around.

You want to heal, and do it well? Defiler. Gf's defiler is 41 now, and she is all the healing we ever need. Friggin awesome healer. And they look sweet in chain with a huge spear.
You were right Tikker. We suck.
mofish
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Adivina » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:40 pm

I made a monk. Fotm? I am lost there. So what level do my heals stop sucking ass on my fury? :P
Donnel wrote:

Adivina
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby mofish » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:46 pm

Sorry internet video game geekery : fotm = flavor of the month.

Lemme check the fury spell list :

This is the spell I remember everyone talking about, not sure if its been adjusted since or not, still looks pretty sweet :

Back Into the Fray
Replenishes target ally's health. If target ally is under 50% health, the amount replenished is doubled. This spell cannot be cast on the fury.
Back Into The Fray (52)

I think I need to start a healer. Whatever faults EQ2 has/had, the game totally advanced mmorpg healing. Lots of innovative, unique heals and stuff.
mofish
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Martrae » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:25 pm

Furies got the rep as the best soloers so everyone is trying one.

Dirges get rez and fear, troubs get charm and mez. Charm sucks ass though. It takes up a concentration slot and I've got too many things vying for one of those to leave empty in case I ever want to charm.

Best thing about my troub is the speed song. With Jboots I run faster than the SS carpets. :)

Seriously, they are extremely good utility classes. Evac, run speed, decent dps, great group spells, plus I can solo. :)
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Adivina » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:42 pm

I made my fury because I was looking to make a healer and was told they were slightly more battle hearty than other healers. I wanted to be able to survive. That level 52 spell sounds fucking sick...I might pick my fury back up just for that spell. I wonder if its a long recast spell though like my uber crazy HOT I have now, think its like a 10 minute recast, so its for trouble time only not normal healing.
Donnel wrote:

Adivina
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Ginzburgh » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:46 pm

EQ2 is fun so far. Got a level 12 Dirge on Nagafen server.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby kaharthemad » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:39 am

mofish wrote:Furies heals get much better at higher level, they get a specific heal, I cant remember, but its very good. Also Furies out-dps all other priests by a mile. And yummy group invis. But its good you quit, they are like the FOTM healer, so many damn furies runnin around.

You want to heal, and do it well? Defiler. Gf's defiler is 41 now, and she is all the healing we ever need. Friggin awesome healer. And they look sweet in chain with a huge spear.

I am more to the Mystic side of things mo. Mystics get a lot of nice buffs and wards. true that a mystic can be out healed at the higher levels but the wards we use make it so I dont have to use my heals that much.

Mystics also get a HOT (Heal over Time) spell that I call my dumbass spell. This spell is great when you have downtime but it rocks if you have a overnuking idiot in party or a moron that likes to run around. If he is running around and keeps dancing out of range throw torpor on him. It instantly negates all run speed buffs and drops him to 20 percent run speed/ATK speed.
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby DangerPaul » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:46 am

Isn't that how you heal me? ass...
DangerPaul
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby kaharthemad » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:41 am

nope

I used attendant to keep you healed. If I used torpor it is because it is a fast heal and you were dying too fast to get my regualr heal off.
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Ginzburgh » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:43 am

Does anyone play on Nagafen? Seems pretty popular considering it's the only "regular" pvp server.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby DangerPaul » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:45 am

No one I know of.

Kahar, that was a joke by the way, I never get healed because I know how to play... sometimes.
DangerPaul
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Markarado » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Both troubadors and dirges are underplayed classes. You would be doing good choosing either one. Charm and mezz aren't that useful in EQ2, but regardless both classes are quite equal. Both classes get speed buffs don't they?

I really don't understand why you think Fury's aren't good. They are by far one of the most overpowered classes. They can heal as good as any other healer if not better. They can out DPS any other priest class by far. I played a Templar because they were supposed to be the best healers. So you can imagine how much I hate Fury's. Templars are great for PVP though. Reactives all the way! The only class that could beat me was a Dirge or Troubador, and those duels would last atleast 30 mins to an hour.
Markarado
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Ginzburgh » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:52 pm

Man I am so stupid in this game. I have a million questions:

Wtf is heroic opportunity and how does it work

Why did I pass my roomate in exp tonight when we were grouped together and were
killing the same thing. Does the triangle above the exp bar have anything to do with it, is that rested exp? If so, how does one acquire rested exp

Are resists important, a lot of resist gear is dropping off skelies in antonica. Should that gear just be saved for "resist gear bags"?

Should Dirges be looking for fast weapons (low delay) right now I am weilding piercers.

and I have a lot more questions I cant think of right now.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:25 pm

Heroic Opps can be useful. You or your group hits a couple spells or styles in a certain order and you can get a boost in damage, a heal, power regen or a host of other things. It depends on what classes are involved and which opp is up.

You probably had more Vitality than he did. Vitality is gained from downtime. If you're not playing a couple days and your roomie plays the whole time you'll have a lot more Vitality than he will.

Resist gear...not really useful until you start raiding and I'm not really sure of the usefulness even then.

I generally grab the highest rated weapons I can find and dual wield. I did use a shield for a while to see if I took less damage (dual wield was a bit borked at that time anyway) and while I didn't get hit as much, battles seemed to last FOREVER.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby mofish » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:35 pm

Ginzburgh wrote:Does anyone play on Nagafen? Seems pretty popular considering it's the only "regular" pvp server.

Ive made a couple characters there. What alignment are you? Would be happy to show you the newb ropes. Ive never pvp'd before, so I might suck. But Im fine against pve, and I play fps, so maybe the two will mix and make me not suck too bad.
mofish
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Markarado » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:35 pm

In the high end raiding part of the game resist gear still isn't very useful. Some people would trade out a few items for higher resists depending on the encounter, but I never would. Losing the other stats just isn't worth it.

Tank classes will often switch out a weapon for a shield when taking on a harder encounter. It's very important to be equiped for all situations as a tank.
Markarado
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Ginzburgh » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:04 am

Ive made a couple characters there. What alignment are you? Would be happy to show you the newb ropes. Ive never pvp'd before, so I might suck. But Im fine against pve, and I play fps, so maybe the two will mix and make me not suck too bad.

Me and my two real life friends are level 14. We're on Qeyenos allignment. We get stalked on a hourly basis. It's fun though, definitely adds an element of excitment to the game.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby kaharthemad » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:09 am

DangerPaul wrote:No one I know of.

Kahar, that was a joke by the way, I never get healed because I know how to play... sometimes.

ive healed you when I was helping your pally thru stormhold.
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Next

Return to Everquest General Discussion