Some old names..

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Some old names..

Postby Genjiro » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:13 pm

I've seen a few names I recognize still posting here, though it's been years since Ive been around or kept up with the Nameless.

Lyion and a few others.

/wave
Genjiro
NT Bixie
NT Bixie

Postby Lyion » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:53 pm

Damn, an old school guy. Hey Genj. How ya been?
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Markarado » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:36 pm

Dunno if you remember me. I remember you though. Hey!
Markarado
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Genjiro » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:54 pm

lyion wrote:Damn, an old school guy. Hey Genj. How ya been?

Hey man, doing well. I heard Saldor Tenaj Chon Valia and that crew were playing somewhere again in EQ1, maybe an emulator server or something. Dunno I'll have to go on irc sometime and catch up.

As for me and mmo's, I've played about all of them. Was guildleader of the top guild in EQ2 for close to a year then we all collectively decided the game was a pile of steaming crap and left. Did the WoW thing for about 4 months, a couple 60's later it was so beyond boring I cancelled.

Now I am just waiting for Vanguard to hopefully be the next thing to recreate that EQ magic, and to pop my online cherry all over again but I don't have my hopes up anymore. I think years of nerfs, guild drama, and other assorted bullshit has jaded the oldschool group of players and scarred our psyches beyond repair. Playing with my girlfriend the past couple years has helped that quite a bit though.

Anyways what have you been up to? Still play on Nameless? I heard EQ1 is totally different than it used to be.
Genjiro
NT Bixie
NT Bixie

Postby Ginzburgh » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:51 pm

Guild halls ftw!

just kidding, it still sucks.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:59 pm

Hey, glad you're doing well. You sound like you're in the same MMO situation most of here are.

I tried to get back into EQ a few months ago, and it's a totally different beast. Having been gone since Velious, there was too much to catch up, and too few people who weren't equipping and helping with flags I didn't have a clue about. Unfortunately almost all the older crowd from the early days were long gone and EQ now just isn't very friendly for returning players. The game world really is nothing like it was in 01, when I quit. I have an all acccess account active but I'm rarely playing EQ, mainly when 10sun and a few others are around during the day.

A few here play Winters Roar, an EQ EMU server that sounds pretty cool. I haven't really checked it out but it seems like it has promise.

I played EQ2 for a few months at release. I quit and played WOW and levelled a few high level chars. I quit WOW when my old DAOC guild all retired and returned to that game. I've just started relevelling a new character on Blackhand hoping WOW can keep my interest. After the pain of EQ again, it shouldn't be too tough to do

Some on the board are playing Vanguard Beta, and I think a lot are hoping it'll recapture the old school EQ feeling. Warhammer Online also looks promising.

NWN also is fun and there's a lot of content out there, although its a much different pace and not very MMO like.

It sounds like you aren't doing any MMOing. Good luck if EQ is sucking you back in. It's fun again until you realize it's the same grinds, time sinks, but without the fun community we had in the old days.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Genjiro » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:20 pm

Yea, I'm not playing EQ again, even when I quit back in the Luclin/early PoP days it was a total bitch to try and catch up in AAs and all that. Considering I'll be quitting most likely for VG anyways it seems to be a big waste of time. I just heard Saldor Tenaj and them were playing again, I think on an emulator.

I doubt I will be doing much in the interim, except picking up some single player games like ES4, until VG. The market is so incredibly stale right now and it seems people are either playing EQ2 or WoW simply because there is no alternative. My guess is VG will eat much much more of WoW's playerbase than people are guessing. Granted, the WoW bnet fanbois (yes they are there--most of my guilds applicants in WoW listed SC, WC3, and Diablo as their previous online game experience--no joke) will stick with it but I think a ton of the old mud'ers and EQ1 vets will jump ship. Should be interesting to see, anyways.

WoW was just so bad, raiding was almost done for you with things like CTRA playing the game for you with agro alerts, stopheal functions, decursive, and all the other associated cheese. Personally, I'm anxious to see another non-instanced world where there is actual community (ES BP thread omg) and gasp, interaction. Even though LoS, Sanctuary and others may have hated each other at certain times, it was still better than never seeing anyone else due to instancing--and hey in the long run I dont think there are hard feelings.

Anyways, good to catch up.
Genjiro
NT Bixie
NT Bixie

Postby KaiineTN » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:31 pm

Tenaj has defeated Hideaki in a duel to the death!

I miss Drolkrad, and Vinshayr, and Itai, and Euphasia, and Nizzarr, and Abou, and Tigole, and Shadowspear, and Beardo, and Redmuse, and Nagrakthor, and Sinah, and Amberlee, and Ronald, and Freon...

I don't miss Fell, and Hedges, and Gorefeast...

That is all.

PS, I'm Flink.
KaiineTN
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:31 pm

Hey Genj

unless vanguard changes a lot, it's not going to make much of a dent in WoW at all

until a game comes along that's a radical departure from the EQ clones, nothing much will change

we need something that's as far from EQ as EQ was from UO

ok

we need oblivion online, hoho
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:25 am

Yeah, we need a new paradigm shift in the MMO universe, certainly.

I'm hopeful NWN2 might be decent.

I did have problems getting caught up, and it was frustrating.

I grouped often with 10sun and Goosse who both helped me, but they also both were dual boxing and were more self sufficient. I didn't want to dual box and I had old gear which was a rough combo for a returning player. It would've been more manageable if any of the old school people were around, but they weren't.
Last edited by Lyion on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Adivina » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:11 am

/wave :boots:
Donnel wrote:
Erodalak wrote:Who needs an education when you are hawt like advina

fixt :P
Adivina
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Reynaldo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:05 am

EQ would still be great if it wasn't so goofy. They have the game mechanics in place now to do some really unique and fun stuff, but instead, they just make mobs hit for 1000 harder each expansion and give you 50 more hp on your gear.

To tell the truth, I still had a ton of fun playing on non-raid situations. The single group content and upgradability are phenominal. MPG trials are fun and rewarding, DODH missions were tough but had excellent rewards for the most part. Hell I was even having a blast farming Cazic Thule for lizard bloods and random tradeskilling stuff.

But raids just kill the game. They're slow. Tons of trash mob timesinks in between bosses that have way too many hp. And raids where 1 ADD kid playing PS2 can wipe you and cost you an hour of downtime are NOT the win.

My hope for an expansion.....

Fall of Faydwer (sp?) - keeps with the gay Steven Segal style 3 word expansion/movie titles

Orcs from crushbone take over Kelethin and the wood elves have to shack up with the High Elves like the Trolls did with DEs. Could you imagine the raid encounters you could have in Kelethin? Keeping 2 or 3 waves on different platforms to kill a boss cause they'd knock you off every couple minutes and having to scramble up the lifts to re-engage. Would own like the clickable bridges in Sol B.

Add new zones off Crushbone - The Breeding Pits for non stop orc axion.
Put the Mistmoore revamp back in and add a new zone for the Mistmoore Crypts for some vamp hunting with a layout like OS.

Chessboard could be an instanced raid zone clicking on different tiles to port you into a skyshrine type zone with a mischief feel.

Add Unrest Mansion (something like Dreadspire Keep without the gay 2 mile pathway leading up to it).

Kedge.......fuck Kedge.

End zone could be a translocation gnome added on the Butcherblock docks to port you to some undiscovered island in Ocean of Tears with a similar feel to Anguish with some Cyclops and the Dynolizard type bosses.

Sorry to get off topic...geez.

Hi Genj!
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:19 am

But raids just kill the game. They're slow. Tons of trash mob timesinks in between bosses that have way too many hp. And raids where 1 ADD kid playing PS2 can wipe you and cost you an hour of downtime are NOT the win.

That's why they have to kibosh the 40+ man raid encounters and make "raids" so that they can be accomplished with 15 man groups. Then make all the "epic" gear quest based and make the quests for each piece of gear as involved as the EQ epic weapon quests. At least in a 15 man raid each person can get what they need fast, as opposed to divvying up 2 or 3 pieces of loot between 40-80 people.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:04 pm

30-40 seemed to be about the sweet spot for raiding imo
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:13 pm

I'd like to steer away from the end-game being required 30-40, and make it more of a rarity.

20 max, and 30-40 being a rarity (but still fun and rewarding)
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Sorina S » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:17 pm

I remember you Jenj. You caught my shaman Lhor one evening on cyclopse isle and we kicked some butt for awhile. All the best bro~

SS~
God made man! But a monkey supplied the glue...
Sorina S
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Tikker » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:33 pm

Harrison wrote:I'd like to steer away from the end-game being required 30-40, and make it more of a rarity.

you never did endgame in any of the games you played, your opinion is moot

ps, beating an expansions boss isn't endgame when it's not the current expansion
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Captain Insano » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:37 pm

They need an expansion involving some corrupt sect of Halflings lead by undead mayor gubbin who quads for like 2k.

A whole expansion about killing halflings would just be too cool for words.
Tossica: No, you're gay because you suck on cocks.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Mazzletoffarado: That's me fucktard
Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:43 pm

Tikker wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'd like to steer away from the end-game being required 30-40, and make it more of a rarity.

ps, beating an expansions boss isn't endgame when it's not the current expansion

I shit on you, :gtfo2:

If you even remotely believe that, you're an idiot.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Alphonso » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:15 pm

The best expansion idea I could ever come up with was a rip off of zelda's link to the past. Have some sort of portal that warps you into the dark world and have oldworld towns be the raid zones.. own
Alphonso
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Gargamellow » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:04 pm

Hmmm...You gave me a hit point ring..I think...
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:42 pm

Harrison wrote:
Tikker wrote:

I shit on you, :gtfo2:

If you even remotely believe that, you're an idiot.

if you think you were playing endgame at any point in your eq career, you're the idiot, not me~
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Yamori » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:40 pm

Alphonso wrote:The best expansion idea I could ever come up with was a rip off of zelda's link to the past. Have some sort of portal that warps you into the dark world and have oldworld towns be the raid zones.. own

Heh, funny... I've had the same idea. Though I was thinking more in terms of a time warp type thing that goes into the future of an apocalyptic Norrath after it has been overrun by discord or whatever. It's a really cool concept. I'll even give them a name: EVERQUEST: REIGN OF DISCORD! Omg whee.

Like, a lot of the central zones have become discordant strongholds, and most of the lesser cities were over-run by their old nemesis' (ie, rivervale = owned by goblins, Oggok = conquered by lizards, Felwithe = ruled by Mistmoore vampires. XD) And all the quests would be based off the scattered remnants of Norrath's original population.

Running around a really dark, mucky, gloomy, rotting version of Qeynos with a blood red sky filled to the brim with zombies that quad for 1300 would Sylvester Stal-Own for tr00.
-Yamori
AKA ~~Baron Boshie of the Nameless~~
Yamori
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Drem » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:44 am

agree
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Mop » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:50 pm

Holy shit hi Genj, this is Cyni barhoppah~ hows my fav nig.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Next

Return to Everquest General Discussion