new server initially w/o current expansions

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:09 am

the cool thing about this is that it's relatively cheap entertainment without having to upgrade your machine.

I'll have to force myself to play in zones I never really went to before though to make it not feel like a grind. And lasso Polo into playing a bard again so we don't have to worry about haste items.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Dylan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:40 pm

Hmm... I thought the see through UI came out later... oh well I never used it until Velious anyway, Persona button ftw~
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:43 pm

Reynaldo wrote:the cool thing about this is that it's relatively cheap entertainment without having to upgrade your machine.

I'll have to force myself to play in zones I never really went to before though to make it not feel like a grind. And lasso Polo into playing a bard again so we don't have to worry about haste items.

that's actually how I ended up making tikker

I made him to see the newbie zones in Kunark, and some of the antonica zones I didn't see with my Ranger or Cleric
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:44 pm

I'm going to be the richest motherfucker on that server.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:42 pm

sure
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Diekan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:43 pm

lyion wrote:
Mop wrote:Ya it sounds cool - i think they should make it pvp to slow down the progression more so and make it 3 seperate guilds have to kill each world boss Nag / vox / Pof / Poh to make Kunark live.

/disband
/reform
kill again

I think they should put 6 months in between opening new expansion content. That'd be a better solution

That's probably the best idea. I'd go as far as to: Starting with the original game, then opening each expansion during the time frame it was originally released. How long was it before Kunark came out? I can't remember, but I would wait that long before opening the Kunark expansion - so on and etc.... I think a lot more people would be more interested in that. A lot of folks, including myself, would be more than happy to return to the days of old. Sure, we already know the strats for this or that mob - but damn - going back to Mistmoore to camp fangs again? Those days were more fun than any raid I did in the elemental planes.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby 10sun » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:26 pm

It would be cool if people could access expansions based upon time since character creation.

Its kinda like the veteran AAs that they added whenever... now I have the ability to instafill my hp/mana once every 72 hours because I hit 6 years since account creation.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Diekan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:36 pm

I just hope Sony uses some good sense in this case and doesn't opt for guild progress to be the determining factor on when the expansions are accessable. Power gamers have tons of other servers to play on - I hope Sony keeps them out so the rest of us can enjoy ourselves.

But, when has Sony ever used good sense?
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Drem » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:27 am

they won't. raiding ppl would start whining about not being able to progress, and let's face it, GMs have always catered to the high-end guilds
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Snero » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:59 am

game developpers catering to people who play the game the most, strange thought
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Lyion » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:02 am

Drem wrote:they won't. raiding ppl would start whining about not being able to progress, and let's face it, GMs have always catered to the high-end guilds

This isnt for raiding people, though. They have a ton of current servers to rape, pillage, and pwn on.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:27 am

if you're not interested in raiding, you should be playing UO

what you guys are really saying is that you don't want some OTHER raiding guild to kill shit
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:34 am

The game should not reward people who put 50 hours a week into it. It should be consistent.

A specialty server should not cater to the same demographic as a regular server, or it essentially is no different.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:39 am

that's not a good way to look at it

might as well issue everyone full sets of planes armour just for showing up
you wouldn't want those people who put time in to have better gear than those that don't
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:53 am

Hell, just open the server for people who can play 50 hours a week and rush to open all the content in 3 months, so this server becomes exacrtly like every other one. Sorry, that's a bad idea.

That'd completely ignore the whole point of this server, and make it exactly like every other one, except for one or two small guilds that burned through the content.

Set a timetable for upgrades based on the collective, and don't cater to a small minority.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:02 am

casual players are the minority in EQ
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Reynaldo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:12 am

I was thinking the point of the server was a retreat back to what we all say we liked about EQ, instead of fighting space monkeys that hit for 7000 damage.

I don't really think the server is "geared" towards anyone. The original post says the content will be unlocked by groups or guilds that trigger certain events. It doesn't really say that the unemployed lifers are granted this priveledge, although they'll most likely be the ones getting a crack at it.

I really do think the content won't be opened at such a pace that you wouldn't be able to enjoy your time in each expansion though. Other new servers burned through stuff cause they were able to skip original EQ and get the obtainable good gear from latter expansions (or just transferred to the server).
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:22 am

Exactly.

My point is if this server opens in May, and all the content is unlocked by July, then it just ends up as another EQ server, no different and worthless for EQ as something to bring back players.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:25 am

i wonder if they'll limit it to the spells available from each expansion originally
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Xaiveir » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:29 am

Any idea when the date this actually goes live is?
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Lyion » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:30 am

Its all speculative for now.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:31 am

i think they're going to find it's too much work to rebalance, jeje
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Reynaldo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:59 am

My point is if this server opens in May, and all the content is unlocked by July

By "all the content" I'm assuming you mean Kunark? Absolutely no way people get through anything farther than Kunark (assuming Phara Dar is the unlock mob) in 2 months time.

People don't need more than 640K of memory either =).
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:14 am

Reynaldo wrote:
My point is if this server opens in May, and all the content is unlocked by July

By "all the content" I'm assuming you mean Kunark? Absolutely no way people get through anything farther than Kunark (assuming Phara Dar is the unlock mob) in 2 months time.

People don't need more than 640K of memory either =).

lol. I think you underestimate the amount of time people have and the lack of planning Sony will most likely display.

If the mobs have not changed, and content is unlocked by killing end expansion mobs, the first 8 will be open in under 6 months.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Sithos » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:46 am

lyion wrote:llol. I think you underestimate the amount of time people have and the lack of planning Sony will most likely display.

If the mobs have not changed, and content is unlocked by killing end expansion mobs, the first 8 will be open in under 6 months.

To many if's or ands. Wait until they actually announce (if ever they do) and see from there
Sithos
NT Oldtimer
NT Oldtimer

PreviousNext

Return to Everquest General Discussion