IRC Dev Chat - Progression Server Q&A

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

IRC Dev Chat - Progression Server Q&A

Postby Naethyn » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:15 pm

Nice info here, enjoy!

Q. - What is the status of the progression server?

A. - I've been reading up on all of the threads on the Progression Server forum on the eqforums, getting familiar with what you guys see as the problems and coming up with solutions to most of them. I've got some documentation and notes on what needs to be taken care of. We've also got the hardware up and running, so I should be able to start any implementation that needs to be done starting Monday. - <Maddoc>

Q. - With the planned removal of the tutorial for the recently announced progression server, what strategies are being considered to deal with congestion in the classic Everquest 'newbie' zones?

A. - It's interesting that you mentioned that because we were just discussing that very subject in my office prior to the chat. We're still discussing options on that subject, but I can say for sure that we are aware of it and will make some adjustments to ease the congestion as much as possible. - <Maddoc>

Q. - With the announcement of the Progressive server, many people have been wondering about the fate of the Guktans. Since many LoY features are very useful for the entire server, will there be a chance of the guktans going live on the progressive server before LoY zones are launched?

A. - The fate of many races are determined by the players' actions on the progression server. The Iksar, Guktans, and Vah Shir will all remain under lock and key (or continent) until those expansions are unlocked. The same will occur with the features available with each expansion. - <Vahlar>

Q. - Is there an eta yet on the progression server? Or even an eta of when an eta will be announced? Also as all servers are named after something in the game? I suggest the new server is called Lord Doljonijiarnimorinar or just Doljonijiarnimorinar.

A. - Right now, we're in the planning phase for the server. We're hammering out the details and figuring out exactly what needs to be done. Once that's done, we'll have a better grasp on when the server will be available and there will be more official press announcements with those details. - <Rashere>

Q. - Could you provide any insight about the newbie armor quests on the progression server? Will they be staying in as is? nerfed? disabled until a later date?

A. - This was mentioned in one of the threads on the Progression Server board on the Eqforums and is on my list of things to investigate. This is actually a problem for much more than just the newbie quests, so it's something I'm going to have to look at on a more global basis to make sure we're not introducing gear (items, foods, money, experience, and many other things, for that matter) that is far beyond the era currently available on the server. - <Maddoc>

Q. - Will magician pets be able to dual wield on the progression server. What about the speed cap on necro pets? What about things like innate crits for wizards, will those exists on the progression server?

A. - In general, most current systems will remain on the Progression server, which includes but is not limited to those that you mentioned. - <Maddoc>
A.2 - Aside from unlocking new expansions and features, the progression server will be nearly identical to a Live server. While I look back on the first few months of EQ fondly, I'm not sure I'd want to go back to the days of 1 point backstabs, spell books, or meditate buttons. - <Prathun>

Q. - Is there any chance beastlords and berserkers will be allowed from the start on the progression server?

A. - Like the races that will be unlocked by expansion progression, the same will go for the different classes. Basically, if the content or expansion you're playing through didn't have one of the races, classes, or features you mentioned, it won't be available. - <Vahlar>

Q. - What will be required as the "twists" or an example of to unlock an expansion other than just killing the main boss of that expansion?

A. - We are not really limited as to the requirements for opening up content on the Progression Server -- We have everything from raid-target kills to quest completion to discovery to guild-based accomplishments are at our fingertips as tools for expansion progression. That's not to say we're going to use all or even any of those, but it gives you an idea as to what we have available. Anything's possible. - <Maddoc>

Q. - Just to clear idea with the new progression server, nothing will be instanced untill LdoN/Plane of Time?

A. - The instanced content in the old world (such as monster missions, for example) won't unlock until the expansion that is associated with them is opened. So, correct. No instanced content should be available until LDoN / PoTime. - <Prathun>

Q. - Recently Nodyin made a post on the official EverQuest forums, mentioning a set of notes being worked on, to provide players with more information regarding the profression server. Can we get any further information as to when these notes will be made public?

A. - The notes that Nodyin mentioned is the press-release regarding the server, which is currently being worked on. We're also still working on some of the details of how all of the intricate pieces of this server will work and formulating plans to handle all of the issues that we encounter (and that players have voiced concerns over). Once we have everything in a more solid state, we'll be answering questions and making posts on the Progression Server forum. As a side note, we do plan on having a beta-cycle for this server, so you will get a chance to help form the server and discover additional problems prior to the launch. - <Maddoc>

Q. - Veteran rewards will be locked out untill later expansions then?

A. - We're looking at all the technical aspects of the Progression Server right now, but our plan is to withold the veteran AAs until the Progression server has essentially "caught up" to the Live servers. - <Vahlar>

Q. - On the progression server are the frogloks still going to be in rathe mountains on server opening (not playable just there)? Also in rathe mountains are we going to see a return of hillgiants?

A. - I have to look into at it more in depth, but off the top of my head, the frogloks in Rathe Mountains will not be there until Frogloks become a playable race -- On that note, the hill giants are still in Rathe Mountains, they're just moved somewhere else in the zone. - <Maddoc>

Q. - Are expansions on the progressive server able to be unlocked in anything other than the linear order they came out? Example: LDoN before PoP etc..

A. - We have the ability to open them up in any order we choose. LdoN and LoY are the only ones that we've really thought about opening up in a non-linear progression, however... This is a progression server, so I would expect that the expansions will be opened up in the order they were released. As I mentioned before, some details are still being worked out, so be sure to visit the progression server forums on the Eqforums, since that's where I'll be communicating with most of the players. - <Maddoc>

Q. - Can you give us any ETA at all, even a ballpark figure, of when the progression server will go live? are we talking a few months, end of summer 2006, winter 2006, etc?

A. - We're expecting to launch the server within the next few months. We should have more details for you soon, though, which will narrow that down. Keep an eye on the EverQuest website for more details. - <Rashere>

Q. - Will people be able to farm epic items from old world before Kunark is even unlocked on the progression server?

A. - In most cases, content will be remaining as it is for the progression server. In the case of the epics, if there are old world pieces you can farm before Kunark opens, then you'll be able to get them before that expansion is opened up. You just won't be able to complete the epic since they generally require Kunark specific content at some point in the quest. - <Rashere>

Q. - So are you going to revert rathe mountains to the pre-froglok files? and remove all bst/berserker guildmasters and npcs, and items from the old world, up untill those specific expansions?

A. - As Rashere just mentioned, we're going to keep most of the content remaining the same as it is on the Live Servers -- Rathe Mountains is a special case, since those NPC's shouldn't really be there in the "Progression" until the LoY storyline has been opened. In short, it's very likely that the frogs will not be up in Rathe Mountains and that Rathe Mountains will exist as it was prior to the frogloks moving in. - <Maddoc>

Q. - When the progression server comes to an expansion you may not own, will you need to purchase it to play that expansion?

A. - The Progression Server follows all of the same rules as the normal servers -- If an expansion is open and you don't own it, you won't be able to go there. - <Maddoc>
A.2 - Progression server will give DING a whole new meaning. - <Vahlar>

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/boa ... ge.id=3844
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:28 pm

man
it's going to be pretty different than original EQ
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Naethyn » Mon May 01, 2006 11:27 am

I'm still really excited to raid naggy / vox!
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Gargamellow » Tue May 02, 2006 10:47 am

eh..i won't be wasting my time there..i have goals on nameless
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Everquest General Discussion