AA Points. Why i hate them so.

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

If there were less AA's or none, Would you get your twink on?

Yes
33%
no
17%
id quit
No votes
id farm Plats and sell it to IGE
No votes
STFU.
50%

Total votes : 12

AA Points. Why i hate them so.

Postby Scatillac » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:11 pm

Is it just me? or are AA points the downfall of EverQuest? A last ditch effort to keep people in the game? Sure they are good for that purpose but here is why i hate them so much.

Noobs: There really arent that many around anymore i know that, but what about alts? Its sad to hop on and see nothing but 65 plus people everywhere. I always get excited when i see a newbie run by wearing a netherbian chitin and a fine steel mace. I run a guild ( sort of) called < Keggers Anonymous >. It is dedicated completely to low level players, once you hit 55+, cya . Its pretty fun running around in noob gear trying to drop gobs in runnyeye or stomping sarnaks in LOIO. Not only does it bring back memories, but it also allows me to help these new player who can never find a group.

So my Question is, if there were Less AA points to aquire, would more people play their alts?
ohhhhhh rusteh.
Scatillac
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Gargamellow » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:13 pm

AA points made EQ interesting.
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:24 pm

Didn't Mudcrush have like 400 AA's like a month after they introduced it?
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gargamellow » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:32 pm

mud was a bad motherfucker! still is...but not in eq so who cares

p.s. j/k mud..please don't eat me
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Naethyn » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:44 pm

Narrock wrote:Didn't Mudcrush have like 400 AA's like a month after they introduced it?

No way.

CT was the l33t spot and it wasnt that good.
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:58 pm

Narrock wrote:Didn't Mudcrush have like 400 AA's like a month after they introduced it?

nah, Mud had 120ish when PoP opened I think

that being said, 60+ was hardcore at that point

Back to the original point, I originally hated AA cause it meant I couldn't justify playing a twink as easily

But after playing WoW, there's no reason at all to keep playing a main once you've got max gear. AA's at least extended the life cycle of an individual character, and I actually really missed them in WoW
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Yamori » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:54 pm

Hitting max levels is much easier in EQ nowadays, and XP moves much faster due to huge gear increases, so AAs aren't really a problem like they used to be. I don't think the higher end game would work without them at this point either.

It was back when they first came out (since 1 AA equaled level 51 worth of xp, and xp was still slow as hell) that it was an absolutely shitty concept. Spending 3-4 hours for one lousy point wasn't time effective, especially for those who had just recently done the 51-60 grind. It was one of the major reasons I ended up quitting originally - I don't think I even got a single AA point on my original wiz.

Recently, with my BST, at my fastest I was pulling in 5 AAs a day (with LoD on) just by doing 30-40 minutes of grouping in DoN with guild groups. With the AA changes I could still hit 3 to 3.5 a day the same way. (Granted I'm uber :ugh:). No biggie these days. ;D
-Yamori
AKA ~~Baron Boshie of the Nameless~~
Yamori
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Burgy99 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:36 pm

Yea, with my brief return to EQ I got about 5 levels and 50 AAs in a months time, playing very casually( no LOD either). Now that I actually got the bow AAs for my ranger, my freaking friends quit on me and re rolled as alliance in WoW . :cry: I must say though, AAs today compared to even just PoP/GoD days, are much easier. In small increments I think they're not bad because you get immediate upgrades that are nice, but when you have 0 and you see that you need 400 or 500 AAs it's daunting.

On my WoW warrior that I ebayed, I wanted some form of alternate advancement Sooooooo bad. Over all I think they are a good idea, but could be done differently. Experience to buy additional talent points in WoW would be awesome, and having the ability to re-spec them when you wish instead of being locked in like EQ would have been great. Of course there should be a price, maybe in the form of experience instead of gold / PP.
Burgy99
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Return to Everquest General Discussion