EQ2 class

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

EQ2 class

Postby Tikker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:01 pm

I may get sucked into this with a friend

what EQ2 class is closest to the EQ1 shaman?

I want if possible:

ability to solo
a pet!
buffs
slow
heal
ability to do mediocre damage
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Re: EQ2 class

Postby Martrae » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:13 pm

mystic or defiler

Kahar would tell you mystic is best
Dammuzis would say defiler

:)
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:14 pm

what's the difference?
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Don't do it.

The combat system is akin to reading a paraplegic crayon written book.

Shadowbane is free! I'm screwing around there right now.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Martrae » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:24 pm

Not much as far as I can tell, but I, personally, have never played either.

Defiler is evil
Mystic is good

Maybe I can persuade Kahar to log on and explain the differences from his perspective. :)
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:35 pm

shadowbane sucks donkey balls

i'm not sure I'll bother with EQ2 either, but i'll goof around with the free trial with a buddy and see what shakes out
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:36 pm

He says:

defilers deal mainly in debuffs. mystic strengths are mainly buffs, defilers used to be able to out dps a mystic but that has changed.

defilers wards are a bit stronger at app and adept levels, masters though mystics beat out

as far as aa lines go, defilers get better ones spread over all, mystics however have combat line as well as buff lines. that and mystics are sexier

There you have it straight from the rat's mouth.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:40 pm

which is the better healer?

pets are similar I assume?
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:47 pm

He says mystic, but he's not exactly impartial. :)

Pet's seem pretty equal to me. They aren't tanking pets, though, like the Conjurors get. The dogs especially die pretty quick. They have a lot of spells that are tied to the dog, though so you sort of have to have it summoned even if you don't fight with it much.

They get other summoned pets that do things like group heal, etc, but do not fight at all (more like shaman totems in WoW - they just stand there and give benefits).
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:11 pm

hrm

basically, it sounds like what we're trying to do is come up with a duo that's about equivalent to SK/shaman in EQ1

something where you can duo pretty much anything until you reach endgame, and add whatever classes and have a good group
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:28 pm

is there a good site out there that lists all the spells/aa etc, kinda like lucy for eq1?
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:35 pm

http://home.comcast.net/~eq2gamedata/main.html has all the spells and racial abilities.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page best site for quests and assorted info

http://eq2.allakhazam.com/ still around but not as full featured as it should be IMO.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:57 pm

I looked at alla's briefly before, and it sucks donkey balls

does race make a huge difference?
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:36 pm

I don't think it does.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:52 pm

I haven't played the game in years but seems like pretty much any two classes can duo pretty well.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:39 pm

So i'm fiddling with a fae mystic right now (limited to fae race) and it seems stupidly easy

is it just a trial thing that sometimes your hp/mana jumps back to 100% when you win a fight?

and what's with this heroic opportunity thing?

basically, I'm interpreting it as allowing you to make a neat spell combo for bonus damage
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:45 pm

Tikker wrote:So i'm fiddling with a fae mystic right now (limited to fae race) and it seems stupidly easy

is it just a trial thing that sometimes your hp/mana jumps back to 100% when you win a fight?

and what's with this heroic opportunity thing?

basically, I'm interpreting it as allowing you to make a neat spell combo for bonus damage

It's pretty easy. I don't think I died once until I had to go in to an instanced dungeon somewhere with a group of players.

I think you get HP/Mana back like that if you gain a level or something. I forget. The Heroic Opportunities let you do combos with other players in your group. Each type of player has a certain move they can add to the combo at the proper time to add a nice damage bonus.... something like that anyway.

I had a great time with the game up until my early 40's and then I just kinda lost interest.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Martrae » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:38 pm

You jump back to 100% every 10% of your level. At the lower levels, yeah, you're never gonna run low since every kill mini-dings you. And, yes, low levels are stupidly easy.

The HOs are pretty much what you thought. They do different things based upon class and random luck. You can do them solo or in a group. The group ones will again do completely different things than you would get solo.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Ndaara » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:18 pm

Race makes very little difference. The biggest difference for me so far is having a fairy (good or evil) means I don't die jumping off of cliffs (yes, I do tend to jump off cliffs a lot). High elves also get a falling buff so they don't die jumping off most stuff either. Not sure which others get that.

Some races give minor bonuses to tradeskill stuff, which is nice, but not necessary by any means.

As far as I can tell, the only other racial differences are cosmetic. For example, with hair, some races get a braid which swings around when yuou move. When I first started the game I thought that was so neat! Sort of like watching an iksar or kerran tail swish around, which I also found mesmerizing. But I freely admit I'm odd.

I don't like healing with a mystic or defiler, but I am used to a 50 warden and she does a super good job. Shaman lovers tell me I'll get used to healing with runes (wards).

Yes, the game is easy, especially at lower levels. Yes, it does get harder as you get higher, but my highest is a 69 troubador who soloed almost the entire 69 levels. So I think you can find easy ways to level up if you want to. After picking up a second account and moving my warden over, I've been sticking to dungeons and having more fun and slightly more challenge (I die a lot).

Overall I really like the game. With a mid 40's swashbuckler and warden, we were able to effectively duo in any level appropriate zone and explore several dungeons. I like the nostalgia factor, that places sound familiar but are different. Pretty much any two characters can be an effective duo, so try some stuff and see what you think. You can't level past 10 on a trial account anyway =p
Ndaara
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Tikker » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:42 pm

that's kinda lame

I'm just kinda concerned that I'm not going to see enough in that first 10 levels to convince me to play

ps, holy copycat

the GUI and quest system is so WoWish it's not even funny
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:43 pm

Play WoW again Tik. Malfurion/Horde.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:25 pm

WoW is full of more mind numbingly retarded "gamers" than I've ever encountered in my entire life put together.

most people would rather read spoilers and try to just copy what someone else did rather than just play the game and learn it themselves
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:28 pm

Tikker wrote:WoW is full of more mind numbingly retarded "gamers" than I've ever encountered in my entire life put together.

most people would rather read spoilers and try to just copy what someone else did rather than just play the game and learn it themselves

WOW has so many UI raid enhancements and addons, I'm surprised actual people are required.

I want Privateer Online.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:34 pm

some of the add ons are spectacular but some are so overpowered, it's crazy

the one that bothered me a lot was the healer mod where it would just auto heal/cure anyone that needed it, and auto cancel a heal for you if the tank didn't need it
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:37 pm

Off topic, but I fear the success of WOW will push more to the EQ/WOW clone instead of trying new and innovative things.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Next

Return to Everquest General Discussion