A skewed history of MMORPG?

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

A skewed history of MMORPG?

Postby vonkaar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:54 pm

I saw this on another forum...

:ugh:

LoS is infamous?
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Re: A skewed history of MMORPG?

Postby Drem » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:01 pm

Tigole's the lead developer of WoW? i thought he just helped in the beginning or something. that's pretty ridiculous to think i played on the same server as him before WoW was even an idea
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:07 pm

no, Ariel was moreso the head honcho

Tigole and Daelomin did a lot of the raid instances tho (baron geddon was all daelomin apparently)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Dylan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Is Tigole a camel?
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:16 am

I don't know, I think that description matches FoH (whine, threaten to quit, poop in socks, etc) better than LoS.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gidan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:59 am

He was promoted to lead game designer, though at this time, he is no longer working on WoW. He is now working on their next MMO.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Dylan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:57 pm

That entire rant is completely invalidated by the fact almost every raid encounter in World of Warcraft or any other major MMO these days is instanced. It doesn't matter at all how quickly some other guild goes through it since everyone can go at their own pace. I don't even see how LoS/FoH wanting new content to do effected the rest of the game, it just gave those people more to do when they caught up.
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Naethyn » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:16 pm

I don't think it's a hard case to argue that each expansion of EQ catered more and more to the high end people with the loudest voices.

Wow is the same way. Look at Wolk....

That entire rant is completely invalidated by the fact almost every raid encounter in World of Warcraft or any other major MMO these days is instanced. It doesn't matter at all how quickly some other guild goes through it since everyone can go at their own pace. I don't even see how LoS/FoH wanting new content to do effected the rest of the game, it just gave those people more to do when they caught up.

Except that every raid instance is now invalidated as the greens are better then the last expansion's legendaries! There is no progression.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Drem » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:43 pm

Naethyn wrote:I don't think it's a hard case to argue that each expansion of EQ catered more and more to the high end people with the loudest voices.

i still play EQ and i disagree. maybe that was the case for Velious but every expansion after that has catered to making the game simpler for people starting out. it started with AAs (which have almost managed to eliminate the necessity of any class because everyone can do some form of everything at this point), PoK, then maps, then the magus porters, then instancing, then the guild lobby, then hassle-free deaths, then the removal of keys and flags up to demiplane, then mercenaries, blah blah blah.

if anything it caters less to the high end crowd. take the SoF expansion and the introduction of gear that drops randomly from any creature with stats on par or better than DSK or demiplane for example. you can gear up a guy better than tacvi as soon as you max your level and claim your free armor/weapon/5x double xp potions package

the only difference you see between "hardcore" and regular players are that raiders simply advance faster because they put more time in. there's such an endless amount of stuff these days that a casual player could definitely be content with what they can achieve on their own or in a small guild. it's completely opposite of how EQ was during velious

not to mention if you missed old content you'll likely be able to solo it or do it with a small group these days which, to me, is pretty sweet
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:43 pm

velious was definitely a raiding expansion

that being said, kunark was so lengthy most people were no where near 60 when velious hit, and maybe 50% were 60 when Luclin came out.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Return to Everquest General Discussion