Give me a history lesson - LoS/Old school/Uber people

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Give me a history lesson - LoS/Old school/Uber people

Postby Snero » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:24 am

LoS leader

I know there was some jumping around when tig quit and I think tenaj was guild leader for a brief period, polo might have been as well

Draed
Ariel
Tigole
Ronald
Tigole
Daelomin
Bzul
Razumihin
Berton
Me
Telegareth
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Tikker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:59 am

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:10 pm

The early early history of LOS, as told by Draed himself on a similar thread on the private LOS forums (slightly edited):

Draed wrote:Anyways I will tell what I can remember. A lot of it might be wrong. that was a *long* time ago. I was originally playing on Cazic Thule with Zeek in a tiny lower level guild called Arctic Lords before Nameless opened. I couldn't get into any of the "uber" guilds so I decided to start over on the next server that opened up. I was like level 46 when The Nameless opened. Zeek didn't go with me at the time, so I didn't know anyone at all. The first people I met and started grouping with were Nagrakthor, Genjiro, Despie, Sengir, Hammyr, Mudcrush, Oniar, Trolie, Avslatar(Henric), Windy, Tashoka, Valia, trindle.

I can't remember who the first member I invited was. I believe it was either Mudcrush or Despie. Hapt and Muffy joined shortly after. They were two of the few people that were higher level than me. Hapt was *much* higher than me. I think something like 10 levels higher.

Our first "guild event" was Cazic Thule and the guild almost broke up because of it. It was *horrible*. we all died many many times. A bunch of people actually /guild removed after that event.. I believe hapt, nagrakthor, avslatar, windy, and maybe muffy all left the guild after that event. Hapt, Muffy, Nag all came back shortly after.

A little bit after that I met Tenaj and Vendreahl who were both extremely hardcore and awesome players. I grouped with them for a couple weeks and they got an invite.

When I was about level 25~ or so I ran into Ronald who /conned red to me. He was always anonomous so I had no idea what level he was. I started talking with him a bit and found out that he lived in the same town and went to the same college I did(Texas A&M). We met a few times and had some beers and talked everquest. He was previously the guild leader one of the best guilds in all of everquest on Innoruuk, but he got banned, so he started over on Nameless. He had a lot of experience leading a large "uber" guild and pretty much knew all the zones and secrets in the game.

Shortly after meeting Ronald, he took a group of us into lower guk on the undead side where the executioner and all the other named frogs were. We were the only people in guk! I don't remember who all was in that group but we seriously camped all those named undead frogs for 8+ hours. That was the first time I started skipping class for everquest... the beginning of the end. =( I think we finally left guk at like 10am! There was actually a bit of drama that happened there too. There was this real annoying barbarian warrior who went with us. I don't remember his name(maybe someone else does?). One of those frogs dropped the executioners axe and he was begging us to give it to him or something. I think I actually did give it to him.

Our group which usually consisted of me, nagrakthor, sengir, ronald, hapt, tenaj, vend, mud, etc pretty much killed every named mob before anyone else on the server. Frog Lord, King, all the named kobolds in sol b, Unrest, etc.

During this time various people joined the guild. Caswallan, Finger, Jezzebel were all people that I knew in real life. There are too many to name. I remember tenaj and I had to hunt down murab to guild remove him. He was hiding in some zone that no one ever goes to. That annoying barbarian got removed too.

Eventually Ronald joined the guild.

Ronald was the first to 50 on the nameless by far. Muffy and Hapt were next I think. Drolkrad, that other druid who was in the guild.. clueless I think, he was one of the first to 50 as well. I think I was the 8th person to level 50, and the first non-caster. Ding!

Note: Zeek = Ezekiel and Muffy = Glubgawd.

Draed retired shortly before Kunark, and Tenaj was the one who took over at that point. (He's the one who added me into the guild, actually.) I forget why he stepped down, but he turned it over to Ariel, who had been the leader of Storm Reavers before they got merged into LOS. It was during Ariel's term that we had our first big guild schism, when a bunch of the early LOS people (Inluding Tenaj, Genjiro, Chon, & Valia) decided they didn't agree with his leadership, and all split to go found Ruin on Sullon Zek. (Which they proceeded to dominate to such a degree that the guild was still in 1st place on the server PVP leaderboards more than 6 months after it disbanded. Given how successful LOS ended up being in Kunark/Velious after they left, one can only speculate how insanely well we'd have done if they stayed.) Ariel eventually stepped down as leader (and mostly stopped playing) near the beginning of Velious, I believe it was, since he was going into crunch mode on Warcraft III, which he was in charge of. That's when Tigole took over. Tig got burned out during Velious, quit briefly, then came back a couple weeks later. He stayed in charge until about 2/3 the way through Luclin, just as we were about to enter Vex Thal, basically, before he stepped down because he got hired at Blizzard to work on World of Warcraft.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:06 pm

I have a server first. I was the first Barbarian on the server to get a rogue epic. Bam. Really lame, since there were almost none of us. There was one in LoS though (Thon I think his name was) got his like 4 days after me.
Last edited by Zanchief on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:52 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Thats the guy.

Yea very few Barb rogues. I think Tarkien might have been though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Ronald was the first 50 due to the dual wield Nec pet exploit. I know because I was grouped with him in L Guk during a good chunk of that time. The guy was afk 80% of his level experience and I was the first cleric on the server to have ress. I had waves of people asking for Ress's, but Ronald generally took first dibs as his pet could level one faster than entire groups.

Most of the early named mobs in L Guk and other places were killed by the first waves of 50 before Storm Reavers or LoS were really populated. Storm Reavers was raiding Hate before LoS, just FYI. Although it's kind of moot as they became one guild.

Looking at Snerp's list LoS basically was mostly Sanctuary after I quit, which was around the same time Tigole did evidently in 2002.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Ganzo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:02 am

Zanchief wrote:I have a server first. I was the first Barbarian on the server to get a rogue epic. Bam. Really lame, since there were almost none of us. There was one in LoS though (Thon I think his name was) got his like 4 days after me.

I got you beat there, I was first Gnome Warrior with epic across all servers, second warrior on server as Parv beat me by few hours. I remember we went after the Queen of Chardok for my right blade, as LoS went up into PoS for his left blade.

There was this asshole of a rogue Tarkien who was also barbarian who used to raid alot with us untill his head got too big
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Zanchief » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:26 am

You thought he was crazy, you should have seen his wife.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Snero » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:31 am

I thought she was just his girlfriend, Elodia
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Arlos » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:29 pm

I would have been the first monk on the server to complete the monk epic, but the hand-in for the final fight bugged, and a key mob never spawned. We won the fight just fine, but No way to get the proper reward item. So, I had to petition and wait for it to get reimbursed. By the time that happened, a couple others (including Lenardo of SOS, if I remember right) had finished theirs.

Not a big deal though, I'm plenty happy with my serverwide first of completing *ANY* of the PoSky quest haste items for any class. I was actually the last front-page news story for the old monk site, The Dojo, right before it closed up and Monkly Business started.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby vonkaar » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:06 pm

haven't been on NT in a bit but I saw this thread and then Mudcrush posted and holy shit

hi Mudcrush

I'll go through this thread later tonight and maybe post some screens. I know I have some early 2001 screens somewhere. I have an epic Manalope vs Sinah duel SS that was pretty cool, though I can't remember why so ya'll will just take my word on it and that's the least interesting story ever.

bleh
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Tikker » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Mudcrush Durtfeet » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:49 am

LoS was certainly good times, even pre Kunark. I'm not sure ANYONE managed to kill Vox except for us until Kunark came out. Didn't help that we did our best to keep the dragons dead. I remember one day, they were both up and we killed them. Then the server went down, came back up, and we killed them again (both) before anyone else could manage a try on either.

Hi Vonkaar. :-)

Nice screenshot Tikker, surprised to see one with both me and Joboba in it!

Joboba was my roommate's warrior, ugliest ogre on the server. :-)
Mudcrush Durtfeet
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Mudcrush Durtfeet » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:07 am

A founding member of Legacy of Steel
Mudcrush Durtfeet
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Lyion » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:12 am

Mudcrush Durtfeet wrote:LoS was certainly good times, even pre Kunark. I'm not sure ANYONE managed to kill Vox except for us until Kunark came out. Didn't help that we did our best to keep the dragons dead. I remember one day, they were both up and we killed them. Then the server went down, came back up, and we killed them again (both) before anyone else could manage a try on either.

That in a nutshell was what was wrong with EQ.

As far as Vox, You are forgetting the memorable Anks Vox raid where he ninja'ed all the stuff. I believe I was in three Vox kills pre Kunark, one with LoS. The LoS one was crazy as someone pulled every single giant in the place and we were curbstomped.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Susvain » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:00 am

CMON NAMELESS!!! This thread CANNOT die. PLEASE <3333333333333

I have LOVED everyones comtributions, even Zanchief letting us know he got his epic.......talk about exciting news. j/k LOL .... :)

But cmon Mudcrush....tell me about some pre-Kunark groups that were lookin for UBER loot. Some guk raids/groups??? SolB??? where else? i wannna hear some stoies about this kinda stuff.

So 'Avatar of War' was LoS greatest achievment for world firsts? What other world-firsts did they get? I dont care how small....its exciting to me.

I miss the old days when Valorgaurd, Euphoria, Brothers of Darkness, The First Seal and perhaps a few more guilds all in Kael'Drakkal when the server resets or just a random night. Everyone buffing/gathering for a different boss....sometimes guilds would buff and gather and pull trash for the same boss and the results were exciting....I remember once Brothers of Darkness and two other guilds were gathering in the room before Emperor Sssra and BoD got the kill ;)...I think Valorguard wiped...haha

Serioulsy, anyone who did PoF/PoHate back in the really old days...like pre kunark or pre velious...i wanna hear everythign about it. How the loot was considered, how the clearing of mobs went....clusterfuck.....boss attempts....epic moments.
Susvain
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Susvain » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:06 am

Besides Naggy and Vox, what other zones or named mobs or bosses were there with great loot existed pre-Kunark? I wanna hear about early attempts on these named mobs. ANY named mobs with nice loot in any zone qualifies here. Guk, Solb...where else were there zones. I know PoHate/Fear....but what other places....?

How long after the games launch was our server created?

This is for anyone~~~~ what were some of the biggest accomplishments you, your friends or a guildmate did back in the old day? Like Pre-Luclin days orrrr even up to PoP...

Since I didn't get max level until Luclin i did most of my leveling on kunark or velious. Before Kunark, where would you group or solo for the most exp??

- In the 20's....was it....HHP or HHLK?
- Where the hell did you level up in the 30's, 40's or 50's??? or
Susvain
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Snero » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:10 am

Besides Naggy and Vox, what other zones or named mobs or bosses were there with great loot existed pre-Kunark?
As far as raids went, there was fire giants before naggy, there was phinigel autropos in kedge keep, the planes of hate (maestro and innoruuk), fear (golems, dracolich and cazic) and sky

How long after the games launch was our server created?
6 or 7 months

Since I didn't get max level until Luclin i did most of my leveling on kunark or velious. Before Kunark, where would you group or solo for the most exp??
in my opinion, pre kunark was when there was the biggest sense of community in the game. For the most part, if you leveled or if you wanted to camp some of the good items (FBSS, yak, SMR, etc...) you spent your time in Sol B or lower guk, dead side. Because the game funneled everybody into the same two zones, everybody knew each other. It was rough though, I remember having a full group camping a spot in sol B where we had access to like 8 mobs every 30 mins. Spent most of the time chatting but there was nowhere else to go unless you wanted to try bugs (which were death to most groups at the time). I still remember grouping with tigole when he went to pull and got lost in the bug area, he thought he was going to lose his corpse for good.
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Mudcrush Durtfeet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:00 pm

Nameless was launched in mid October, I created Mudcrush that day. A friend created an ogre who was supposed to group with me (Stompdurt) but he never played much and quit after not so long.
A founding member of Legacy of Steel
Mudcrush Durtfeet
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Susvain » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:51 am

How did you get the original key to Veeshans Peak? How did you get the key back when Kunark was the only expansion?
Susvain
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Susvain » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:18 am

What were the bosses in the west wing of tov? I forgot all about the west wing...i cant remember anything about it. I remember HoT side just having trash drakes/dragonsthat dropped quest armor. I remember NToV had a bunch of dragons you killed. But wtf is WToV?? i dont even know if i raided that place
Susvain
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:55 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:09 pm

The VP key was nowhere near as bad as the Vex Thal key, or the true crafting nightmare, Bane weapons. The idiocy of making raid bosses REQUIRE a nodrop item made from super-rare crafting materials that you then had to craft YOURSELF truly boggles the mind.

Then there was the "flag" system everything worked on in POP, where missing 1 step somewhere would completely invalidate later flags you got from raid bosses, etc. Shepherding people through all the hoops they had to jump through was insane.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:15 am

PoP was a great expansion for raiders, but it killed raiding guilds.

Oh, your cleric just got flagged? Guild hop/stolen
Oh, your MT just got flagged? Guild hop/stolen

Ad nauseum

Guild quits because the top guild keeps stealing your geared and flagged players, cockblocking your entire guild's progression.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Everquest General Discussion