Give me a history lesson - LoS/Old school/Uber people

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Give me a history lesson - LoS/Old school/Uber people

Postby Zanchief » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:55 pm

PoP and VT have no flags anymore. I wondered into Vex Thal with Zanchief the other day.

Yes I'm playing EQ again. Sad, but true. Actually enjoying it quit a bit. Lvling is very fast now. I can easily get 50 or 60 AAs in a short evening (2-3 hours). Can make a level a night of straight grinding even post 70 (I'm 71 now). I have a feeling exp will start to get harder soon.

It's fun running around old zones and discovering new ones, and the free to play model isn't very restrictive at all.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Susvain » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:12 am

hmmmmm
Susvain
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby baddwin » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:29 am

I got great memory of EQ, i never got the same feeling again in other's game... to bad

- having alt ranger ano to track zone for Boss spawn
- Runing again mutliple guild to get the boss (before PoP with easy access to anywhere)
- my first time to Plane of Hate, men i was so excited to go there (thank to CT for the invite)
- picking up my rogue epic 1.0, that was cool
- camping for so long unique mob to get key's for all the guildy....
- run corpse anyone!!! as a rogue it was our duty. After a year of not playing, within 5 min of login i receive permission to drag the corpse from multiple old guild mate that was raiding .
- coordinating raid without VoIP software, only chat and having many chanel

EQ era is long gone but i still have good memories.
baddwin
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Drem » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Zanchief wrote:PoP and VT have no flags anymore. I wondered into Vex Thal with Zanchief the other day.

Yes I'm playing EQ again. Sad, but true. Actually enjoying it quit a bit. Lvling is very fast now. I can easily get 50 or 60 AAs in a short evening (2-3 hours). Can make a level a night of straight grinding even post 70 (I'm 71 now). I have a feeling exp will start to get harder soon.

It's fun running around old zones and discovering new ones, and the free to play model isn't very restrictive at all.

are you still messin around with this? i re-installed. been playing a little. drem's at 85 but i don't really want to play him because without the subscription i'm missing some bags of gear and i can't get any AAs because i'm way over the cap for free to play. haven't really played him in three years anyway. just been playing my monk who's 60, have a bard at 45, and have a rogue at 53 i think. not the best gear, but that's okay

they made it really easy to earn money now, huh? almost everything in any hot zone uncommonly drops something that'll sell for 35pp. make like 5k a night just grinding AAs on the monk. and even though mercenaries kinda broke the grouping aspect of the game, there are still lots of people that want to group and shelf their merc if you ask them. nobody ever sits around /lfg anymore tho. kinda nice honestly /shrug. i think it's still a really fun game. and for the early levels, those old world dungeons are easier kills and almost as good XP as the hot zones. the hole and velketor were just as fun to fuck around in as they were 10 years ago imo
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:59 pm

I am ashamed of how many hours I spent running around EC tunnel literally doing nothing...
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:35 pm

To Drem: Yes I still play. Guilded in LoS believe it or not. I usually play most nights between 8:00-11:00 EST. On either Zanchief (now lvl 83) or Zolvia (Lvl 44 Bard lvling quickly).

Your right about mercs. They help fill out a group most will ditch them for real people so it does create a system where a lot of groups are available. I have 2 friends who I group with regularly. Ranger, Enchanter. Its easy to fill the rest with heal box + DPS.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Reynaldo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:33 am

Logging on Reynaldo now to deguild you hoho....
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Zanchief » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:07 am

Bastard. You woudn't believe how many comments we get. People often comment in OOC since we're usually 3 or 4 people grouped together in the same zone with the same tag.

BTW, when are we going to stop being recruits! I want to be a full member!
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Reynaldo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:03 pm

You don't even know.

A year back or so (oh how time flies) some "friend of a friend of a friend of some old LOSer" deal saw me on Rey in game and wanted to get invited to LOS to farm crystallos dragons or something with their group. I could have cared less so i invited them and about a week later got IMs from the old LOS message board from people that hadn't played EQ in 5 years, that people with the LOS tag were KS'ing, training and just basically being miscreants.

It was really eye opening how (ridiculously) serious folks take it. I probably did too back in the day.

Next time I'm on - probably tomorrow night, I'll just promote all your guys to officer so you can do what you want lol. Would be hilarious to bump into some LOS roaming about from time to time.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Zanchief » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:09 pm

My guys are good folks. We don't KS or anything. It's just crazy that like 10 years later the name still means something to people. We were in the crypt of decay or some place a month back and someone saw that there were LoS people in the zone so he randomly says in ooc "Are people raiding in here today?" I often run into old school people who ask me who's twink I am. Sadly, I'm a main.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Arlos » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:20 pm

LOS was easily one of the top-3 guilds in EQ of all time, along with Afterlife and FOH. Being part of that crew was truly amazing, and really an honor. I think I've spent all my time in MMOs since then looking for what we had in LOS back in our heyday and just not ever finding it, even when I joined with the Afterlife folks in WOW.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:19 am

There's no achievement to be had to defeat content in WoW.

Sure, the encounters are fun, but it's too easily accessible to everyone.

We went from a small group of friends still level 70 that had to level to 85 still, to an 11/12 bosses downed raiding guild in the span of 3 months when Cataclysm came out. (That would never have happened in EQ.)

It's not prestigious to clear content in WoW. It's worthless beyond what you get from it within your guild.

I fucking laugh at the "BEST PLAYER ON SERVER FOR X CLASS" rofl. You're about as good as everyone else raiding, but put in 10x the time to see the rarer drops. That's it.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Ganzo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:00 am

That's what I loved about Rift. Taking down a boss was hard and required flawless execution from every person in a raid
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Tikker » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:22 am

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Ganzo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Did you raid in it? High End game was good, getting there sucked
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Drem » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:58 pm

EQ was good because it was hard and a lot of people played it because there wasn't anything else. then the population dropped off and playing it solo wasn't an option and they tweaked it to fit that. it's still hard, but none of the old hurdles are in the way. no CRs, no waiting to find a port out of some faraway shithole, no running for hours when you couldn't find a port just so you could go group with your friends, no brutal hell levels, etc.

everyone says they hate all that downtime and lame treadmill-type stuff but i really think that's what made the game unique. it was really hard and you had a lot of friends and constantly wanted to stay up with them. playing other games seemed like a waste of time because your friends would leave you behind if you didn't play

then lots of people ruined their lives and i think everyone kinda wised up and stopped playing nonstop. i don't think another game like everquest will ever happen. there are too many options now. people play stuff for a week or two and then play something else. because you get instant gratification because nothing's hard anymore. dark souls got close but since you can't explicitly group with people you choose or talk to eachother, and the bizarre nature of the multiplayer system in general, made it feel impersonal and still pretty much like a solo game where people just show up to help you kill the boss

EQ was great. still is imo, it's just different. less involved
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Because there was nothing else i think is the perfect explanation. At that time, the game was allowed to grow with the players. It was buggy as hell, hard, and downright masochistic at times. But we got patches to fix things, content additions and the players didn't have anything to compare it to, so it was fine that it had to be that way. The "great community" of early EQ was forced because there was no mass information transfer outlets. You had message boards but no Youtube or Alla's for strats or item drops etc. You had to interact with people to find out where to go for things, or which mobs were placeholders for nameds. You couldn't just research it and know every named in a zone before even setting foot in it like you can now.

If EQ was released into the market in the recent past (oh wait - it was - Vanguard), it would flop horribly. These days, we expect a year's worth of content from the box release and the game to be perfect, challenging, pander to the solo crowd but be group friendly too. And since games like this take 4-5 years to create, the hype is lost and in some cases the money (hi Curt), either the game is incomplete or rushed out early which goes 100% against the previous statement about what players expect. Bugs, broken content. Incomplete, untuned end game.

EQ had the perfect storm.

I still play it today because it's the best value for my money. I enjoy the genre. My dad and brother still play sporadically like I do so it's a good way to keep in touch and have some fun. I'm super vested in my characters. Expansions are just the right amount of content for my limited playtime (I'm probably 90% done with the last one and new one comes out in a few weeks i think). Works well.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Zanchief » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Where I am with my life now, I'm glad CRs, Ports, and endless LFGs are gone. I can't stand timesinks. I already get annoyed when I have to share my camp with someone else. The old game is still in there though. It's just changed a bit. You still get exp loss when you die, it's just easy to get a rezz with a cleric merc.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Zanchief wrote:Where I am with my life now, I'm glad CRs, Ports, and endless LFGs are gone. I can't stand timesinks. I already get annoyed when I have to share my camp with someone else. The old game is still in there though. It's just changed a bit. You still get exp loss when you die, it's just easy to get a rezz with a cleric merc.

If you cut out the merc's and purposely don't use any of the new super gear, you can still have a good time getting your asses handed to you in the old zones.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:07 pm

Zan - you are now an officer! All your dreams fulfilled by the click of a mouse....
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Zanchief » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:01 pm

Oh the power...THE POWER!
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Maeya » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:57 am

Ugzug and I recently started playing EQ1 again for nostalgia. We were able to recover our old accounts, but I realized I didn't remember the first thing about how to play my character. We both started over on newbies and hit up all our old stomping grounds as we leveled. I like the changes they put into the game, especially since I don't have the time to dedicate to sitting and LFG for hours, and then staying in the same spot until I absolutely had to go or the group fell apart. While it does feel a little like EQLite, I'm not complaining about having the ability to grab mercs and go clear things that required a full group to do before.

I also realized I no longer have the patience to sit and camp shit. I wanted the dark elf mask from Lguk for my bardling and got whiny after 3 PHs and gave up. Back in the day I would've camped it for hours until I got the damn thing. I can't even recall how many hours I sunk into camping the halfling mask for my rogue, that I never got.
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Everquest General Discussion