Give me a history lesson - LoS/Old school/Uber people

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Give me a history lesson - LoS/Old school/Uber people

Postby Sithos » Sun May 19, 2013 12:00 pm

Saldor,Lane and Nahatma were the only ones that I can remember offhand that spoke broken english.
Sithos
NT Oldtimer
NT Oldtimer

Postby Tikker » Sun May 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gaazy » Thu May 30, 2013 12:35 pm

before i quit again a couple months ago i talked to Polo in game. He still plays a little. Seemed nice. I never knew him before. Just made small talk because I am tagged LoS heh

And my favorite of the old LoS updates were stuff from Rhap. That and DaDa Art
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Zanchief » Thu May 30, 2013 1:41 pm

I've been goofing around with this a bit on my bard. Just a few hours every now and then. It's easy to solo with a bard so it's fun.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Thu May 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Gaazy wrote:DaDa Art

this
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Susvain » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:35 pm

iaminae - please rewrite your history info about the early days of the server.

Arlos or anyone can you please tell me ANYTHING you rememeber about Vigna? I'm really good friends with him now but he admits to being probably an immature little annoying kid. Regardless, ANYTHING you could tell me about him would be really cool he loves having his memory jogged by this stuff.

CMON dont let this thread fail! TIKKER! I'm calling you out, or Arlos....tell us about some of the early named mobs LoS camped or some of its early raids...or any cool personal Tigole stories. give me something new!!!
Susvain
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Mudcrush Durtfeet » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:11 pm

Susvain wrote:how old LoS were you? they were classic...and they remember Mudcrush, Draed...Genjiro. They talk about Mudcrush being played by two different people. The asshole and the cool guy. They said you didnt even bother talking to Mudcrush if the asshole was online. They say it was hilarious with Genjiro's broken ass english yelling at Draed. And they lived just one town over from Polonious. I fact checked them made sure they weren't bullshittin when they claimed to be super old LoS.

Early LOS, two of us did play Mudcrush, myself (Richard) and Mike. Mike played about 10% of the time and was usually an asshole and not very good. I played the rest of the time. I could be really nice, or an asshole, or in between, depending on how I perceived your actions. If you did something I didn't like, I remembered pretty much forever. Otoh, I'd help people key, get them trade skill stuff, help people farm stuff, I was there for people. That's why, even being the crazy ass person that I was, I had friends in guild and was tolerated even through some really wild ass shit. I deleveled once. I rage quit the guild once, but they reguilded me.

Mike's skill in game was pretty much me telling him where to camp a mob or some such, or what was going on in a raid, and then me hoping he didn't fuck it up. After we got a second machine connected to the internet, he started Joboba (ogre warrior), and played more often and got better.

He played a Paladin in Wow too (Velrin) and he sucked so bad. I tried to help him, but he refused to learn hot keys, always clicking with the mouse. What can ya do?

I was pretty hardcore for EQ for a long while, the last of the founding members to eventually leave the guild (in august 2004), over something Lysel said, which made me realize that my friends were mostly gone and I didn't like the game anymore.
A founding member of Legacy of Steel
Mudcrush Durtfeet
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Mudcrush Durtfeet » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Susvain wrote:iaminae - please rewrite your history info about the early days of the server.

Arlos or anyone can you please tell me ANYTHING you rememeber about Vigna? I'm really good friends with him now but he admits to being probably an immature little annoying kid. Regardless, ANYTHING you could tell me about him would be really cool he loves having his memory jogged by this stuff.

CMON dont let this thread fail! TIKKER! I'm calling you out, or Arlos....tell us about some of the early named mobs LoS camped or some of its early raids...or any cool personal Tigole stories. give me something new!!!

Vigna was some barb warrior in early LoS. He was a guildmember for only a short time and a total asshole. Everyone hated him that I knew of.

After I first made 50 (I think), I was solo camping the FBSS. This was really early on the server (few people were 50). I camped that room for two days straight to get an FBSS, like 30 hours of camping or some such. Mostly solo (a bit of a trick at that time in the game, believe it or not). Finally I got it, and went to camp golden ifriti boots or some such. Anywho, the mobs we'd fight there would drop crappy cloth belts or something that looked EXACTLY like an FBSS. So after doing that for several hours, I finally got some boots. I was very happy. Then I realized that when deleting all the crappy belts... I'd deleted my FBSS also. QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ.

Also... QQ - you know what that is? It's two eyes with tears, it means sadness or crying or some such. One of the TW players explained it to me.

I think Sengir was another early player that had broken English.

I remember our first 'guild raid' into Uguk! We were level 30 and went in with two parties, I can't remember where the heck we went, but we got killed. I think Ronald was there in the 40s at the time (the rest of us being in the 30s basically).

I remember my first two party situation at level 14 or so. Someone died in UGUK in the first big room past the circular wooden planks that were over water, just inside. They couldn't get their body, so I organized two groups to go get it. I think we failed, though he did get his body back somehow.

Another friend of mine played EQ, I always wanted to get him into LoS, but he wasn't anything like hardcore enough. He played a necro named Araxx and later a froglok named Grolp (they let him do PoT a few times). He's dead now though. I have his accounts now, it makes me sad if I log in one of his characters.

QQ.
Mudcrush Durtfeet
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Drem » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:40 pm

@@
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:19 pm

i had it explained to me that "ccc" is basically the TW version of "lol" because the character on their keyboards that translates as ccc sounds like laughing. so in effect they were typing "hehehe" or "hahaha" and it just came across as "ccc"

also i remember hearing that the reason our server had so many TW was due to a mistranslation of the original EQ manual. where the english version said "click on the name of the server" you want to play on, the mistranslation actually read "click on the nameless server"

i'm aware this could be total BS but it at least sounds plausible
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:38 pm

I was in paradise of nameless and was surrounded by awesome broken english for years. "orz" was my fav. A little dude bowing down
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:42 pm

The TW on the nameless were so awesome. Gave the server so much flavor.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Mudcrush Durtfeet » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:44 am

Excerpt from some stuff from Draed. Vigna is the annoying barbarian warrior mentioned below.

Shortly after meeting Ronald, he took a group of us into lower guk on the undead side where the executioner and all the other named frogs were. We were the only people in guk! I don't remember who all was in that group but we seriously camped all those named undead frogs for 8+ hours. That was the first time I started skipping class for everquest... the beginning of the end. =( I think we finally left guk at like 10am! There was actually a bit of drama that happened there too. There was this real annoying barbarian warrior who went with us. I don't remember his name(maybe someone else does?). One of those frogs dropped the executioners axe and he was begging us to give it to him or something. I think I actually did give it to him.

Our group which usually consisted of me, nagrakthor, sengir, ronald, hapt, tenaj, vend, mud, etc pretty much killed every named mob before anyone else on the server. Frog Lord, King, all the named kobolds in sol b, Unrest, etc.

During this time various people joined the guild. Caswallan, Finger, Jezzebel were all people that I knew in real life. There are too many to name. I remember tenaj and I had to hunt down murab to guild remove him. He was hiding in some zone that no one ever goes to. That annoying barbarian got removed too.
Mudcrush Durtfeet
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby runamonk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:43 am

Don't forget "la~" and "lo~" and "more oil~" :)

brinstar wrote:i had it explained to me that "ccc" is basically the TW version of "lol" because the character on their keyboards that translates as ccc sounds like laughing. so in effect they were typing "hehehe" or "hahaha" and it just came across as "ccc"

also i remember hearing that the reason our server had so many TW was due to a mistranslation of the original EQ manual. where the english version said "click on the name of the server" you want to play on, the mistranslation actually read "click on the nameless server"

i'm aware this could be total BS but it at least sounds plausible
runamonk
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Snero » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:12 am

oh wow, grolp is dead? sorry to hear that mud, I always liked him, he was a great guy
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Tikker » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:42 am

Sorry to hear about Grolp.

I always wondered if more than one person played Ronald. In the first month of the server when there were maybe 3 clerics who could ress he'd throw me a tell and I'd run to Guk to resurrect him, then he'd FD and his overpowered super dual wielding pet would level me for a few hours. It seemed later Ronald was completely different than early Ronald personality wise. Maybe it was just EQ eating his brain like it ate mine.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:25 am

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Reynaldo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:50 am

Lyion wrote: Maybe it was just EQ eating his brain like it ate mine.

Pretty funny how true that quote is.

I would think most people (myself included) started EQ and bounced around the world in awe of how massive and magical it was. Dying sucked but was pretty cool that you actually had to put effort into progressing past level 15 or so (low 20s were so damn hard constantly dying in mistmoore/unrest and gaining xp at a snail pace due to recouping lost xp).

Then after a year you slowly degrade into the powergamer than anyone wasting any time at all or fucking up on raids grates on your nerves to no end eventually becoming the bitter old "GET OFF MY LAWN" EQ player.

Then the fun part of EQ was being in tells with someone talking about how shitty someone was. Like "it's been 45 minutes now and Beorge has successfully made it from plane of knowledge to netherbian lair, maybe another half hour and he'll get to dawnshroud" while we're raiding in vex thal.

Ronald was just that guy from day 1, but of course he came over from another server so his bitterness had a headstart on Nameless =P.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tossica » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:05 am

What server did everyone start on? Fennin Ro here.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:55 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:53 am

yep my buddy/roommate got EQ during the halloween skelly event 1999, not sure how he picked the nameless but i got my copy a month later and joined him :dunno:
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Zanchief » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:52 am

I played on Rodcet Knife with a few of Snero's university buddies and some highschool friends. We were around 10 in total playing. When The Nameless opened we switched to get a clean start at the server. I remember eating at Taco Bell with Snero, Dersid, Zormito and a few others (maybe Freon), and we just kind of decided to make the switch. I think it was Dersid who had pushed it and Snero was reluctant to start over (we had level 15 characters already!)
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby 10sun » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Erollisi Marr here in 1999. Paladin I think. Maybe ranger. Starting town of Qeynos in any case.

Had a free copy / sub at the time because I was a correspondent for a gaming website. I can't even remember what website that was now though. They paid me in games & some cash (made like $200 total after about a dozen articles/reviews; yippie?)... it was a pretty easy gig as a college student.

Played for about 6 hours and logged out for 3 months. Came back when my boss told me he had started on my account and he got me a new account and wanted me to play with him. He had chosen The Nameless. I started playing and then kept on playing. We got alpha access to Anarchy Online sometime in mid 2000. We played some of that, then I came back to EQ and he kept playing AO.

We kept in touch up until a few years ago (maybe 2008?), then he went off the deep end with some stripper and fled the country or something. I heard from him about a year ago and that was the last anybody knows.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tossica » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:52 pm

At one point nearly the entire Ascendant Council guild all knew each other in real life. I pushed it pretty hard at work and amongst friends and there were probably 25-30 of us at the peak. No game has ever been able to draw people in and keep them interested like that since then. When the opportunity to join LOS came up, it was easier for me to quit the game entirely than it was to leave my friends.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Everquest General Discussion