Re: Give me a history lesson - LoS/Old school/Uber people

Postby Karmie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:30 am

R.I.P Grolp
Karmie
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Lyion » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:19 am

I started on Cazic Thule and made it to 40. I was also a UO refugee.

Tikker, I don't remember you the first few months of the server. I'm talking the first few months when pretty much every 40+ knew each other. Server was pretty cool back then. It was only after Kunark released things got a bit crazier.

The game was also ridiculously broke early on with so many exploits and problems.

I started with RL friends, Toss, and made the mistake of going the super raid avenue. It was fun, but playing with friends is where its at.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:37 am

Tikker wrote:I didn't start tikker until.....maybe late kunark? Maybe even early velious. Just to do all the new kunark dungeons. I had a ranger and a cleric before that and never got above 30 before discovering my rogue.

I think it was late Kunark. I recall you and I going to the Tower of Frozen Shadow when Velious came out with Tikker and not Damer. We also didn't start playing until December 1999. I still remember the Fell phone call incident, I was still in Sanctuary at the point.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:14 am

Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:32 am

i loved TOFS but grouping there made it really apparent who'd taken the inside kunark track like me (kurn's, dalnir, kaesora, CoM, KC, chardok, charasis) and who'd taken the outdoors track (LOIO, FM, OT, DL, BW, skyfire, etc)
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:15 am

brinstar wrote:i loved TOFS but grouping there made it really apparent who'd taken the inside kunark track like me (kurn's, dalnir, kaesora, CoM, KC, chardok, charasis) and who'd taken the outdoors track (LOIO, FM, OT, DL, BW, skyfire, etc)

The sheer number of people who didn't know about root parking was astonishing.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby brinstar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:37 pm

or the importance of snaring in a dungeon, for fuck's sake
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Lyion » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Funny you should say that, Brin. I took my P99 fat ass Shaman to Upper Guk earlier this week to farm in my early 20s. I was pretty meticulous about rooting, but of course one broke and ran away. So I chased it to that idiot first bridge thing, and naturally my Troll fell off as I watched the Frog disappear, and realized I had about 20 seconds to live.

Sure enough, 20 seconds later 8000 Frogs charge me and I get instagibbed. After cursing my screen I started laughing. I've missed that masochistic bastard game that is EQ. I think having no sense of urgency this time makes it more fun.

Anyways, /tangent off. I'd be willing to bet the original guy who played Ronald the first month of the server wasn't the same guy in early Kunark. Not a biggie, as I bet a lot of accounts changed hands. It was amusing when some Ebay purchaser nabbed an account of a guildmate. I'm a 'friend' of X. He's taking a break and I'm using his account. Yeah, right.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Menelvir » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:17 am

The first time I ever logged into the game was in January 2000 and it was on The Nameless. I enjoyed grouping, but I did not join a guild for several years, and it wasn't a high-end guild, so there's much content that I never experienced.

Being able to drop inventory on the ground made some interesting moments. I watched a couple of people (on different occasions) drop an object on the ground, camp, and then log in an alt that had earlier camped to the same spot to pick it up.

On one occasion, I started dropping copper coins on the ground like a trail of breadcrumbs to see what, if anything, might happen as a result.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Zanchief » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:26 am

When I left rodcet knife I decided to go out with a bang so I had my lvl 14 druid change into tree form and nuke the PoD in Kelethin. I did this like 30 times until I was lvl 9 I think. It created so much lag people were lagging off the elevator and dying. It was a fun day.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Snero » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:32 pm

your druid named verantkissmyass? Soon to be changed to vermas. It was surprising he made it as long as he did
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Susvain » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:35 pm

Lyion that bridge is super fucked. All you have to do is stand on it and it'll start an epic train from mobs down below and the rooms down there. Not only do mobs constantly warp to the bottom from that bridge, just taking two feet on it causes massive trains.

What I love about p99 is that everyone's doing the harder places this time around. I never did Uguk, or unrest house group, or mist more castle on live but I always do them here. I had a crew of mid/low 20s on my a,t in my guild and we'd do a different dungeon almost daily. We conquered befallen in our teens when it was hard. E even went deep in that dungeon off lava storm I already forget the name. Those are the best times, doing the more difficult dungeons with all friends.
Susvain
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Susvain » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:37 pm

I still haven't put together a level appropriate group in nurga or droga on p99. I wanna do that the most. Try clearing thru all of it in the low 30s or whatever
Susvain
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Kaemon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Reynaldo wrote:Then the fun part of EQ was being in tells with someone talking about how shitty someone was. Like "it's been 45 minutes now and Beorge has successfully made it from plane of knowledge to netherbian lair, maybe another half hour and he'll get to dawnshroud" while we're raiding in vex thal.

Man, I remember that, I feel like that was me sending you those tells...

First server for me was The Nameless, Seanlan got me to play here when I first bought the game, he was playing a half elf rogue at the time, We then pulled Loomis to our server, but that fucker never grouped with us.

Life of a noob in 1999: I remember starting Kaemon over at least 3 times when I was between level 1-5 on my first day. I kept losing my corpse, and had no idea on how to use loc's or what not. I think at least twice it was because I fell off Kelethin, and another time it was an orc pawn/cent that just chased me into the middle of Gfay. First week in, I was in Crushbone and some rogue was emoting "soandso snickers as he pickpockets your coins" I had no idea about emoting so every time I saw the emote, I continued to open my inventory and checked to see if he took all or any of my coin, and I firmly believed at the time that he indeed was stealing my copper.

I remember being in awe of Debonica when I ran into her at the North Freeport bank. Debonica was level 49 and had a big ass earth pet. I believe I was like 15 at the time and was checking out Oasis or some shit. I asked Debonica for a malachite to create a pet since I just died and was going to retrieve my corpse. She gives me 5 plat, I literally was awestruck....5 PLAT!! WOW!. I also remember seeing Polo kite in Oasis and handing out plat as well, that was cool of you Rey, or your brother.

First friends I made in game were Arlos, Jangos, Meto, and Adorean. I believe we met in Paw. I ended up joining Jade Crescent which the GL at the time seemed like a really nice guy. Guild broke up in like a week, I think Arlos and Jangos were in that guild. I later joined Scions of Veehsan and I was half way into 46 when it was decided we would all go Fear... I believe SoV had a server first when the GM had to depopulate the zone so we can get our corpses back. I think I had like 7 corpses rezzed and I believe there were still a few that I didn't get rezzed but I just wanted to log out.
What a clusterfuck that was, but it sure was memorable.

Mud, sorry to hear about Grolp. Lot's of people in the guild, myself included liked him.
Adivina wrote:We are the most bipolar acting community, bunch of manics with the mood swings on here.
Kaemon
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby brinstar » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:49 am

oh man i heard about that PoF raid

it was just a big black hole of exp loss because there were so many corpses no one could do anything but stand there and die in slideshow mode
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tossica » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:51 am

Kaemon

Do you still talk to Seanlan? Man, we had some good times. Those are some of my best EQ memories. 3 or 4 of us doing crazy hard content.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:32 am

brinstar wrote:oh man i heard about that PoF raid

it was just a big black hole of exp loss because there were so many corpses no one could do anything but stand there and die in slideshow mode

We had a similar fear raid.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Arlos » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Kaemon wrote:
Reynaldo wrote:Then the fun part of EQ was being in tells with someone talking about how shitty someone was. Like "it's been 45 minutes now and Beorge has successfully made it from plane of knowledge to netherbian lair, maybe another half hour and he'll get to dawnshroud" while we're raiding in vex thal.

Man, I remember that, I feel like that was me sending you those tells...

First server for me was The Nameless, Seanlan got me to play here when I first bought the game, he was playing a half elf rogue at the time, We then pulled Loomis to our server, but that fucker never grouped with us.

Life of a noob in 1999: I remember starting Kaemon over at least 3 times when I was between level 1-5 on my first day. I kept losing my corpse, and had no idea on how to use loc's or what not. I think at least twice it was because I fell off Kelethin, and another time it was an orc pawn/cent that just chased me into the middle of Gfay. First week in, I was in Crushbone and some rogue was emoting "soandso snickers as he pickpockets your coins" I had no idea about emoting so every time I saw the emote, I continued to open my inventory and checked to see if he took all or any of my coin, and I firmly believed at the time that he indeed was stealing my copper.

I remember being in awe of Debonica when I ran into her at the North Freeport bank. Debonica was level 49 and had a big ass earth pet. I believe I was like 15 at the time and was checking out Oasis or some shit. I asked Debonica for a malachite to create a pet since I just died and was going to retrieve my corpse. She gives me 5 plat, I literally was awestruck....5 PLAT!! WOW!. I also remember seeing Polo kite in Oasis and handing out plat as well, that was cool of you Rey, or your brother.

First friends I made in game were Arlos, Jangos, Meto, and Adorean. I believe we met in Paw. I ended up joining Jade Crescent which the GL at the time seemed like a really nice guy. Guild broke up in like a week, I think Arlos and Jangos were in that guild. I later joined Scions of Veehsan and I was half way into 46 when it was decided we would all go Fear... I believe SoV had a server first when the GM had to depopulate the zone so we can get our corpses back. I think I had like 7 corpses rezzed and I believe there were still a few that I didn't get rezzed but I just wanted to log out.
What a clusterfuck that was, but it sure was memorable.

Mud, sorry to hear about Grolp. Lot's of people in the guild, myself included liked him.

I remember Jade Crescent. That was a pretty good group of guys, actually. I got in there from a guild called Skull Bashers originally. Was either SB or JC, I forget which, that I first met Barnabuss, though he was still Morgai at that point. Jangos was indeed in that guild too. I had met him somewhere else before, and got him to join there too. (a pattern I later repeated when I joined LOS.) It was Paw we met in, I think. That's where I first started to learn how to feign split stuff. I spent a lot of time in there. Was decent XP, and not many people bothered to go in there, so had plenty of mobs to pull.

I actually left JC to join FOW right before it was going to get rolled into Scions of Veeshan, which apparently really pissed off the SOV leader, as getting me to be the main puller for SOV was apparently a big reason why he wanted to absorb JC. I do remember that Fear raid, too, though I obviously didn't take part. That was craziness. I remember people dying so much they actually de-leveled to a point where they couldn't zone in to get to their corpse.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Kaemon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Tossica wrote:Kaemon

Do you still talk to Seanlan? Man, we had some good times. Those are some of my best EQ memories. 3 or 4 of us doing crazy hard content.

Everyday, he's my best friend. Had beers with him this past weekend... I'll tell him you said hello Toss.
Adivina wrote:We are the most bipolar acting community, bunch of manics with the mood swings on here.
Kaemon
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Kaemon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Tikker wrote:I didn't start tikker until.....maybe late kunark? Maybe even early velious. Just to do all the new kunark dungeons. I had a ranger and a cleric before that and never got above 30 before discovering my rogue.

It was Kunark, you were leveling in Lake of Ill Omen when LOS rolled in and killed the FEESH and received that Rot item.
Kaemon
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Tikker » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:42 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Susvain » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:33 pm

this guy Bonethugg, the guild leader of Harmony, the guild i've been in on p99, this guy claims he was a founding member of Legacy of Steel. he name drops LoS everytime the guild does any type of group events or to bring up his credentials. im pretty certain he was not a founding member. The only thing anyone remembers of him from LoS was that he was guild kicked for being a dummy. Was a barb war named Vigna. Im just asking if anyone thinks he actually was a founding member?
Susvain
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Atalya » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:09 pm

wow this is a great thread. I still cherish my old nameless days. Velk lab groups , late night farm raids with people from brothers of darkness etc in ntov and such . And lol at Bonethugg.. Guy is a moron on i1999
Atalya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Everquest General Discussion