EverQuest Next

Everquest 1 & 2 Discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

EverQuest Next

Postby runamonk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:46 am

EverQuest Next being announced and shown on Friday ya'll.

:hiphop:
-
runamonk/Braeleen/Vaelie/Zennish
runamonk
NT Deity
NT Deity

Re: EverQuest Next

Postby Gaazy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:42 am

just happened to see this and noticed they are livestreaming it at 3pm EST from the SOE live thingy
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Menelvir » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:13 am

Jeremy Soule is composing the music.

I could listen to the soundtrack for Morrowind on a continuous loop - I even put the soundtrack on a flash drive so I could listen in my car.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Gaazy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 am

No matter how cool it looks, sounds, or feels, itll never compare to the original :bowdown:
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Drem » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Looks really cool
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Hatak » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Actually looks cool to play a wizard again...
Hatak
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Ganzo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:59 pm

גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby vonkaar » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:19 pm

holy fucking shit that looks good.

I don't do MMOs anymore, but that REALLY looks nice. If they can keep those effects going on a 20+ person raid, that's a ridiculously impressive engine. Destructable environment with 20 people fucking shit up, spells, melee effects, etc? You're going to need 4 video cards =p.

Very impressive demo, for sure.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Tikker » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:48 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:22 pm

gat damn

that huge suit of armor is ganzo's link and the castle was my skepticism
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Menelvir » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:40 pm

I like the ideas of core design changes, destructability, and the "tiered world". I also like the environment art.

I'm less enthusiastic about the character models.

Character models were one of the things that turned me away from WoW, as I'm not interested in exaggerated body/facial styles in any way, shape, or form.

The combat graphics... Well...

They reminded me (at least the fighter's high-end attacks) of Champions Online -- the execution of the actual combat mechanics is yet to be seen, but if they're similar, then they're essentially aiming for a console "feel" with PC inputs (a la CO).

I'm not sure if that's a good approach for a fantasy game of this pedigree.

I'll reserve final judgment until I see more.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby runamonk » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:00 am

Yup it looks badass. The wife and I were both loving it. She never got to play the original, only EQ2. I'm actually excited for this one!
-
runamonk
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby runamonk » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:03 am

It is a console feel. Supposedly you'll be able to play it on both big consoles. They said that ages ago.

Menelvir wrote:I like the ideas of core design changes, destructability, and the "tiered world". I also like the environment art.

I'm less enthusiastic about the character models.

Character models were one of the things that turned me away from WoW, as I'm not interested in exaggerated body/facial styles in any way, shape, or form.

The combat graphics... Well...

They reminded me (at least the fighter's high-end attacks) of Champions Online -- the execution of the actual combat mechanics is yet to be seen, but if they're similar, then they're essentially aiming for a console "feel" with PC inputs (a la CO).

I'm not sure if that's a good approach for a fantasy game of this pedigree.

I'll reserve final judgment until I see more.
-
runamonk
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Harrison » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:39 am

I'm not sure if I'm sold yet.

There's a lot of promises being made and I don't trust them to follow through with them.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:12 am

Console MMOs is the next step in the destruction of PC gaming. Sounds cool. Doubt I'll play though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:14 am

I love the design document and the fact it's not another mcMMO clone. What a nice breath of fresh air. I really hope SOE can pull this off.

The things that really stuck out to me were that there were no levels, all progression comes from exploring, unlocking classes and experimenting with weapons and spells. I love the fact bad guys move around and there are no static spawns, plus the Emergent AI, and procedural dynamic environments and the faction system that means the way you act has consequences. That's not even touching the changing landscape and destructible world.

No wonder Blizzard canned Titan.

My only gripe is I really wasn't too fond of the stylized graphics. Well, that and it's SOE and after the abomination that was EQ2 I'm going to be like Harrison and wait see if they can deliver.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Menelvir » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:01 am

Lyion wrote:after the abomination that was EQ2

I'm just curious, what was abominable about EQ2? This is assuming that there are reasons that don't boil down to "it wasn't EQ".

In hindsight, I'd have to say I enjoy EQ2 at least as much if not more than EQ, but it took a few years of nurturing before that feeling came to fruition.

And just as an aside, I have no issue with playing and enjoying console games..... on a console. I really don't see the impetus to homogenize the gaming experience across all platforms. Variety is the spice of life.
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Reynaldo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:12 am

I would have thought if it was going to console, they would have had at least one guy in that live demo playing on one or have made a significant deal about it.

I really don't like the whole "everyone can make real life money" pitch on designing stuff. To me, in gaming, it's YOUR job to make he game and MY job to buy/play it. I don't like my lines crossed like that. But I guess some people have a real hard-on for wanting to do that so it is what it is.

I'll probably end up like Tikker's quote on the game. I'd really like to try it but put off buying it for a month or so to see what people say about it then realize a year has gone by when I get around to actually looking into it again.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Gaazy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:09 am

looks pretty sick. Lots of interesting points
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Trielelvan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Okay, that's the first thing I've seen ever that's made me want to play EQ again.

LOVE the concepts they're putting into this, and it's about time for a lot of them.
I think we'll be getting Landmark. My sons are absolute minecraft nuts and some of the things they've built just amaze me, but it's taken a plethora of mods to get things working the way they want them to.
This building engine will be a game changer, plus the fact that something they create has the opportunity to get used in actual gameplay = awesome.
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Savanna » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:36 pm

So very tempting....I imagine Ven will buy it and we will play it for a bit then get bored like every other game he's bought since our EQ/WoW days.
I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures
Savanna
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Drem » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Savanna wrote:Ven will buy it and we will play it for a bit then get bored like every other game he's bought since our EQ/WoW days.

I'm glad that's happened to someone else. Not sure if ADD or everquest was the best game i've ever played
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Everquest General Discussion