brinstar's dark souls idiot journey

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: brinstar's dark souls idiot journey

Postby 10sun » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Drem wrote:Can mac steam and pc steam users play together? I could get it for the imac

Yes. You can play together.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/10sun
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Arlos » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:33 am

Someone posted this to another forum. Speed run through the game while transformed into a humanoid dragon thing. (comments say you get the item to do it at Ash lake?) He 1-shots the first two bosses, the asylum demon and the bell gargoyles, using nothing but the dragon punch. Pretty much completely ignores all trash mobs.

I know nothing about the game, but I imagine that's kinda impressive.

Thoughts?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:53 am

He's likely on a new game +. It is pretty impressive because the later part of the game is hard, but not crazy. The really crazy videos are seeing people kill Four Kings with no gear on New Game +7 without getting hit at lvl 1. Just crazy stuff.

Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:52 pm

It's just memorizing the combat mechanics of the game. It's no different or really more impressive than MMO raiding. I'd argue the level one doing Four Kings had an easier time than we did the first time we killed Trak. ;)

I enjoyed Dark Souls, but really after beating it 2 times, I have zero desire to play it again. The multiplayer is rote and boring, and while the game is very fun and challenging initially, it's less so after playing through it and knowing what's there.

I do wish more games had the atmosphere and graphics this game has, which I far prefer to the JRPG stuff which I loathe, or the 'cartoony' look.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Arlos » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Finally a Zero Punctuation review of the game.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Dark-Souls
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:33 pm

bump

girlfriend is out of town until sunday so i fired this up again. my old save file was missing somehow, but that's okay because i had to relearn everything all over again anyway

picked knight again. had a lot of trouble with crypt demon before realizing that rolling works WAY better than blocking/parrying. took the initial path up the cliff from firelink into undead burg. can't remember how to jump across gaps. noodled around and farmed souls. dumped a bunch into resistance this time to help me live longer. at level ~20 i think? got splatted a few times by taurus demon on ramparts, then realized i had to kindle bonfire to get 10 juiceboxes. still had trouble, so i bought the burg house key and got the lightning stuff, making him easymode. backtracked to bonfire. set about killing hallway black knight. banged my head on that for a while, then ganked him with the lightning stuff. got a sword i can't even use yet. went forward, met sun guy. got fried by bridge drake. kicked the ladder down (i still love how killing bosses opens up shortcuts), cheesed some free souls off drakebreath, leveled up more. got poisoned a bunch by rats. found room with pig monster, lost a pile of souls by falling off the walkway above him. got mad and quit for the night.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Zanchief » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Oh the memories.

DS2 has kind of ruined me on DS. It's a more polished game. The atmosphere is a tad worse, but the combat is just a lot tighter and there are less dead stats. The last DS build I made was a no melee no shield build that made the game pretty hard. Still fun though. Stopped playing at Anor Londo (you'll know where when you get there).
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:54 pm

what exactly is more polished? the world doesn't even connect properly

i liked it, but not as much as DS1. the graphics and the cloth physics were better
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:06 pm

Atmosphere is better in DS and the fact that the game connects in cool ways is a great part of DS but the physics and combat are just more more polished in DS2. Plus DS the stats are all wonky. Some stats are worthless and others are way over powered. That's why it's ruined DS for me. Playing DS is like playing an inferior version. I still love the style, but my character just does weird things. When I played it the first time I thought the controls were so tight, but they're better in DS2.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:45 pm

remembered how to jump; backtracked through undead burg to get hidden items i missed. saved up and bought a short bow. used it to cheese the tail off the bridge drake (took me like 30 arrows since my DEX is shit) since i can't use my black knight sword yet. explored all the way to blacksmith guy and kindled bonfire there. found a summon symbol and brought some spellsword guy into my game and he jabl0wned the chapel area faster than i could keep up. picked up all the hidden shit, then continued up to the garg fight. summoned sun knight guy and the three of us together = the cutscene lasted longer than the actual fight. got my sun token, but struck out on the garg loot - no hat etc just a twin souls ;\

found myself with a shitload of souls so i farmed another chapelful of jerks and bought the crest of artorius... why

went 0 for 2 on the greatsword black knight in the tower above the pig monster, then quit for the night

...pls explain covenants and the crest of artorius
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:49 pm

but they put a time limit on PvP !

i still haven't done all those DLC for DS2 tho. i really enjoyed a lot of DS2, whether i was taking an elevator from the top of a mountain up to get to the bottom of a lake of lava with a partially submerged castle in it or not

shaded woods were great. and i loved going down the hole in Majula to the Gutter
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:01 am

brinstar wrote:remembered how to jump; backtracked through undead burg to get hidden items i missed. saved up and bought a short bow. used it to cheese the tail off the bridge drake (took me like 30 arrows since my DEX is shit) since i can't use my black knight sword yet. explored all the way to blacksmith guy and kindled bonfire there. found a summon symbol and brought some spellsword guy into my game and he jabl0wned the chapel area faster than i could keep up. picked up all the hidden shit, then continued up to the garg fight. summoned sun knight guy and the three of us together = the cutscene lasted longer than the actual fight. got my sun token, but struck out on the garg loot - no hat etc just a twin souls ;\

found myself with a shitload of souls so i farmed another chapelful of jerks and bought the crest of artorius... why

went 0 for 2 on the greatsword black knight in the tower above the pig monster, then quit for the night

...pls explain covenants and the crest of artorius

look up covenants for specific bonuses but they're all different and some are for PvP. most affect how you matchmake, like whose and how many summon signs you will see. Way of White and Warrior of Sunlight are best for PvE co-op. pretty sure each one gives you rewards at each rank, as well

but they're all very very different. i was Darkmoon covenant, which means i had to invade sinners (people that kill or fight NPC/story characters and acrue sin, which can be removed by talking to that weird guy that stands like he's being crucified up in the gargoyle tower.) it would also let me easily invade people that had killed Gwynevere and turned their Anor Londo to Dark Anor Londo. i'd get a certain item from invading and killing sinners that i'd turn in to the covenant to rank up. aside from a low drop farming 3 mobs in the Painted World of Ariamis, invading was the only way to earn those items. the bonus from that covenant was this spell of rape

other covenants do vastly different things. if you take the Path of the Dragon you can eventually earn a talisman that turns your torso into a dragon and lets you breath fire

Crest of Artorias opens up the door to the Darkroot Garden, which is past the prowling demon down the stairs from the first smith. it's probably the best PvP spot in the game. also lets you join the dope Cheshire Cat covenant of Forest Defenders. hence all the PvP right there. nothing like invading someone there and seeing 30 little lights all over the ground from previous invaders that got fuckin owned

edit: words and stuff
Last edited by Drem on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:10 am

Drem wrote:an elevator from the top of a mountain up to get to the bottom of a lake of lava with a partially submerged castle in it

.........................wat
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:11 am

Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:23 am

from the "Earthen Peak" structure behind this guy:

you take a super long elevator up to this:

Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:05 am

DS is a far superior game to DS2. DS2 is easy mode. You can just go talk to a lady and completely reset your toon? Booooo. That being said, I have bought DS2 for PS4 as well and have started again. There's a lot of different stuff in the PS4 version.

Bloodborne is great as well. It has all of the atmosphere but doesn't quite pull me in like the DS games due to a weird equipment upgrade system and an overall lack of cool gear.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:52 am

Drem wrote:images etc

oh okay so basically there's a castle sitting inside an active volcano and you take a lift to get there from the other thing

for some reason the way you worded it made it sound like you go STRAIGHT UP from the top of a mountain and emerge at the actual bottom of a lava lake (in the sky??) that has a castle in it

i was like damn that's some crazy castlevania SOTN physics-defying shit
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:28 am

no, you had it right the first time. it doesn't make any sense

you go from an outdoor poison-filled area UP an elevator thru the air to a castle surrounded by lava
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:53 am

DS2 is not easier than DS. DS has about 2 hard parts. Most of the game is not really hard. Plus it has really annoying QTE type bits like the tree boss.

The flavor in DS2 at parts is wonky, but the mechanics are much stronger and character customization is much improved. That's what I meant. Plus the flavor grew on me. The war with the giants and the way you see the story being told through the ruins you walk around is really awesome. Plus it's longer, which I liked.

I think both games could have done better things with covenants though. I feel as great as the PVP is, there could be more, especially how it interacts with the regular game.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:49 am

shit

i'm reading a wiki and it says you have to trade the firekeeper's soul to someone in order to upgrade your juice bottles??

i got one in the undead church last night and used it because i thought that's how you upgraded...?

am i boned?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Zanchief » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:10 pm

You can only upgrade to +7 and you get more than 7 per play through (if you kill the right people). It's not the end of the world. You shouldn't make a habit of it though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:17 pm

dammit! ah well

just killed the bell gargs last night. gonna work on the greatsword BK atop the pigmonster tower, but after that should i run past the cripple demon into the garden of whatever or should i go do lower burg?

still have starter knight gear. got the knight shield near the church. still using drake tail sword until i can lift the BK sword. bought seal of artorius. haven't upgraded anything (still have a slab, a chunk, some titanite pieces, and some twinkling) but not sure what to upgrade first
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Zanchief » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:19 pm

The seal is for a door you will find behind the "cripple demon" You can head there or the Lower Burg/Depth. You actually don't need to do that section at all if you have the thieves key. You can select at as your starting gift. The Forest is a good place to pick up some items. The bosses are easy there too.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Zanchief wrote:DS2 is not easier than DS.

Yes, it is.

Being able to reset your toon whenever you want pretty much trivializes the whole experience.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Zanchief wrote:The seal is for a door you will find behind the "cripple demon" You can head there or the Lower Burg/Depth. You actually don't need to do that section at all if you have the thieves key. You can select at as your starting gift. The Forest is a good place to pick up some items. The bosses are easy there too.

okay so i'll buy a shitload of arrows and cheese the cripple demon before heading to forest

or fuck it maybe i'll actually fight him since he's 30 seconds and 0 trashmobs from the nearest bonfire

any suggestions on upgrading my shit?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

PreviousNext

Return to Other Worlds