GTA V/GTA Online

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

GTA V/GTA Online

Postby Drem » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:17 am

Anybody playing on 360? Anybody here playing at all? These games get better and better every time
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: GTA V/GTA Online

Postby Menelvir » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:21 am

I'm playing on PS3. It's fun; I'm enjoying the main storyline and I've just started dipping my toe into online play.

I have to say, though, I do miss some of the song selections from IV. I wish you could import your own music from iTunes or ones stored on the local HDD.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Gaazy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:15 pm

I have to ask, what exactly does online play in GTA consist of? Running aorund together mugging people and shit?
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Drem » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:21 am

Yep, basically. But they put semi-intricate heists in involving a lot of planning and set-up so i would imagine its really sweet. Still playing single player tho. The game is just funny. Some of the best satire about modern life

And of course it's fucking huge. I think gta iv's four islands fit inside los santos city alone, not counting wilderness and other cities

Almost so much to do that it's daunting

After playing a while i agree, gta iv had a much better soundtrack. I also think it had a better story and more memorable characters. Doesn't hold a candle to the sheer amount of shit to do in V though
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:23 am

waiting until it comes to PC and is under $30 ;\
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Menelvir » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:42 am

I actually like the characters quite a bit -- Trevor is a trip. I almost wish I knew someone like that IRL -- you just can't predict what he's going to do in any situation.

There's a bit a of ganking in multiplayer, but eh... it's all in fun, I s'pose. It can be fun to do missions cooperatively (like duoing with a friend).

And Drem is spot-on about the satirical, I'd say downright cynical, nature of some of the humor. And of course wordplay. Lots of to pleasure me in my metaphorical humor g-spot (where 'g' is geek).

Sometimes it's the simple stuff that gets me....

On a movie marquee: 'Sequel II: Let's do it all again... Again.'
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby brinstar » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:50 pm

i always enjoyed the radio show hosts in both gta4 and sr3, you're right in that they have a definite satirical edge
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby 10sun » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:30 pm

Man, I just got into GTA V for the PC (after the Steam summer sale).

It is a blast playing online with randoms. I've picked up a ragtag crew and we are all learning to blitz through heists now (prison break with only one death? yes please!).
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tossica » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:45 am

Could never get in to these games. Not my thing, I guess.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:34 pm

What's unenjoyable about them? Honestly curious. Probably some of the smartest writing in any video game at this point, imo

I can't think of a base these games don't cover. Except maybe puzzles. But there might be some mini game somewhere that scratches that itch, too
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:27 pm

they are still somewhat enjoyable for me but sometimes i get frustrated that advancing the story and/or doing some of the side missions requires pretty revolting acts. i realize that's kinda the point of the game(s) but occasionally it really takes me out of the character to do something super heinous. it's like rockstar (and whoever does saints row) sometimes loses sight of the line between legitimate antihero and actual villain

also there are literally soooooooooooo many sidequests and trophies and collectibles and shit that i inevitably veer off course about halfway through the game and burn myself out on meaningless garbage like that - and thus walk away never having finished the actual game. happens with pretty much every sandbox game i try
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tossica » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:10 am

I played the original overhead view one and it was fun enough but I just don't have "fun" doing shitty things to people, like Brin said. The last one I tried was San Andreas or whatever. Meh. Plus they're too open ended. Just not my thing.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:02 am

I played the one for ps2...GTA2 or 3 or whatever, back before they had subnames.

Probably would have stuck with them but my wife saw the commercial for whatever the recent one at the time was with a stipper scene and promptly shut me down from buying it.

Had the most fun in the game boosting cars and seeing how crazy of crashes I could get into or jump off ramps.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Jay » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:33 pm

Wait what? Because of kids being in the house or something?
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Other Worlds