Just Cause 3

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Just Cause 3

Postby Jay » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:28 pm

This game looks fuckin insane. Uncharted meets Batman meets GTA meets Far Cry.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: Just Cause 3

Postby 10sun » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:46 pm

Just Cause 2 was about the same way... I loved it. Just needed multiplayer to be perfect (the multiplayer mod was way too buggy).
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Harrison » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:07 pm

JC2 was one of my favorite games.

It's so over the top and insane. You almost don't get bored doing insane shit. (unlike in GTA)
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:48 am

I never understood the move away from co-op multiplayer gameplay. It always felt that everything had co-op back in the day. I'd kill for co-op Fallout or Skyrim. Just Cause 2 was fun, but the world was too empty/dead feeling, and it was very repetitive.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Zanchief » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:57 am

I'm the opposite on co-op/multiplayer. If a game has a cool idea for it, have at it, but they all tend to be similar and I don't really see the point. I rarely play multiplayer, even for games I love.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:32 pm

I don't do multiplayer unless the game is specifically engineered to be multiplayer (MMO's, Street Fighter).

I pretty much beat campaigns and move on to the next game, which I plan to do with Just Cause 3.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:57 pm

Aside from the insane amount of HP the other players have (you could literally peg them for 10 seconds with an attack helicopter without killing them), it really was a blast to play against one another. The only comparable game I can think of is GTA V online.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby brinstar » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:57 pm

first i ever heard of JC2 was somewhere on the SA forums seeing an animated gif of JC2 gameplay where the guy shot a hole in a pressurized canister and harpooned himself to it and blasted off into the stratosphere. duuuuuuude whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

probably the second-shortest amount of time between "oh this thing exists" and "i must have this thing" i've ever experienced (super metroid was instantaneous fwiw)

i really enjoyed it until about 2/3 of the way through the game when my completionist gland came out of retirement and started working overtime MUST GET ALL THE MILITARY BASES AND ALL THE ANTENNAE AND ALL THE STATUES AND ALL THE DRUG SUITCASES AND ALL THE MONEY SUITCASES RAAAARRGH and by the time i finished half the damn island it had completely ruined the "just have fun fucking around" element. at that point i abandoned all fun and just pushed through the end of the main story. haven't played it since (especially since my PS3 died) but i did catch it for like 4 bucks on a steam sale

if JC3 works on my box without gimping the graphics (or if they roll out a wii u version lol) i'll probably give it a shot - but i'll have to be mindful not to fall into the FO3/JC2/skyrim meaningless side quest morass
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:11 am

JC3 is a lot of fun albeit kinda silly. The dialogue is pretty hilarious.

All the grappling stuff you can do can get pretty creative but the game kinda lacks focus or central plot. Definitely a "popcorn entertainment" kind of game.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:34 pm

also re: multiplayer FPS

i only really give a shit about PVE co-op. counterstrike, call of duty, even TF2 - no thanks. the skill level disparity between me and some 14 year old shitstain who plays 60 hours a week makes it not remotely fun. i still fire up L4D2 from time to time, but that's about it for me and multiplayer

bonus grumpy oldman rant:

wtf happened to couch co-op? i grew up sitting next to pals playing shit like contra or ikari warriors or double dragon or r.c. pro-am, why i gotta log on to some stupid network just to shoot aliens with my friends?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tossica » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:18 pm

brinstar wrote:bonus grumpy oldman rant:

wtf happened to couch co-op? i grew up sitting next to pals playing shit like contra or ikari warriors or double dragon or r.c. pro-am, why i gotta log on to some stupid network just to shoot aliens with my friends?

They're few and far between. My wife and I had a great time with Diablo III, LotR War in the North, Dungeon Siege III and I think that's it... too bad.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Yea couch co-op was fun, but it's pretty much dead. Sad.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:18 pm

What???

There are tons of great arcade games that you can play couch co-op on. Toss already mentioned some good AAA co-op, but left out all the awesome Lego games. And Halo. And I just dipped into xb1, who knows how many new co-op games are out

Shoot Many Robots was more fun for me than Contra

There's probably more couch co-op now than there ever was
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:12 pm

There are no awesome Lego games. They are all terrible. I know I've played most of them with my son.

There are some, but you have to look for them. Most are arcade ports. Sacred Citadel and Castle Crashers were fun though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:45 pm

i played CC with three friends while drinking, it was a riot

picked it up on steam, worthless

gotta have that couch experience ;\
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:23 pm

Im sure ill get lots of hate for this, but ive been on a kick buying old NES games lately......

Do yourselves a favor and go buy Contra and play it with your friends. It sucks ass now. Ive tried four times recently (drunk) and we dont even get past the waterfall anymore. It's just dope because we were little kids and that's all there was, and memories and stuff. Go back and do it now and I guarantee you turn it off after 15 minutes max

It's also an arcade port, like you're griping about the new stuff.

Lego games are great, if you were 10 you'd probably be enjoying them just as much as any other shitty games we played as kids. No old co-op games that I've went back and played recently are really that great anymore except Golden Axe, which still requires lots of strategy. And Snake Rattle n Roll

Plenty of couch co-op still out there to sate the appetite
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:28 am

Contra was never that good, but I did play it recently. I tried to finish the game without dying. I did it only dying once a few times and could easily amass more men than was required to win, but I never did it without dying. Too many random parts in The Energy Zone and The Hangar.

Anywho, Lego games are fucking terrible. When my son asks if we can play Lego games I just suggest we did his homework, because that's more fun.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Zanchief » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:29 am

brinstar wrote:i played CC with three friends while drinking, it was a riot

I play couch coop on steam. You just need controllers. I use the XBox controller adapter (costs like $15) and it will tether any Xbox 360 controller to your computer. Put my PC on my TV and your in business.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:28 am

you can LOL EZMOAD if you want but i very rarely bothered to try contra without the 30-guy code

for me the fun in that game was not about carefully managing my reserve commandos by dodging every single bullet, it was more about zerging the fuck out of everything

plus then you can play the drinking game (take a drink every time you die) and actually get sauced :)

fake edit: yeah i have a wired xbox controller that runs steam games (dark souls for example) but as previously mentioned elsewhere my PC and my TV are now separated so really my only chance for couch coop is wii u or (S)NES

fake edit 2: drem if you got a buddy to play drunk NES with i strongly suggest tracking down a copy of River City Ransom
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:05 am

RCR is great. Totally spaced that. Right now we're still trying to beat Golden Axe 2 on Sega and The Legend of Kage. Karnov next

Z, you're being painfully arrogant, as usual. Did you Google those area names before you posted? I bet Battletoads is a walk in the park for you too, right? Beat the hover bike levels with no deaths every time, right? I bet Mega Mans are all really simple, too, providing only moderate challenge to a gamer of your caliber

I'm gonna go enjoy a Lego game w/ my wife. Damn those games are fun
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:44 am

fuckin battletoads
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Zanchief » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:08 pm

I didn't google anything, man. I just mentioned that I replayed it a few years ago. That's how I know the names of the levels (if they are even right). I've stated many times that Battletoads is an impossible game to finish without cheating. Others called me a noob for it. I'm not boasting about Contra. I wouldn't since I wasn't even able to finish the game without dying! You're pulling a Drem here man. I just hate Lego games...like so much. I actually talk about how much I hate Lego games a lot. I'm sure all my friends are tired of hearing me rant and rave about it.

PS: Lego games suck.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:36 pm

Hahahahah, sorry, i'm just button pushing a little. I've only played the Indiana Jones and LOTR games. They're mindless platformers, but I don't think they're terrible. Fun for couch co-op and people that don't really play a lot of games. And kids

I definitely lost all my skills for old games tho. I almost broke my NES trying to play the Immortal. Contra was depressing. Didn't get very far in Double Dragon 2 either

Anyways, How To Survive and the Trine games were great couch co-op. And if you havent done Shoot Many Robots or Hard Corps then those scratch the Contra itch. I just got Sacred Citadel on sale, looking forward to it. And The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, but that's online co-op afaik
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:55 pm

I can beat the bikes area without dying sometimes. It's not cuz I'm a boss or anything it's just familiarity having died to it 938204923094 times in the past.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:31 am

Drem wrote:I definitely lost all my skills for old games tho. I almost broke my NES trying to play the Immortal. Contra was depressing. Didn't get very far in Double Dragon 2 either

fuckin hell the immortal was hard even back then man, i'm still a god at blaster master though

what's really depressing is when you go back and replay a game that you thought was epically hard but you've played it so many times it's dreadfully simple/easy. looking at you, shadowgate

i have never played a lego game

and yeah jay i think that's really the only way you CAN beat the bike level: rote muscle memory built by long-term training
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Next

Return to Other Worlds