Witcher 3

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Witcher 3

Postby Tossica » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:32 pm

Play it. It's the game Skyrim wishes it was.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: Witcher 3

Postby Jay » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:37 pm

I really want to check this out. I think I might just do it even if there's references to Witcher 1 or 2 that I don't get. Wikipedia will fill in those gaps if necessary.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:46 am

I actually have it for both my PC and Xbox One, and so far after about 8 hours I just can't get hooked. The graphics are great, and the story is decent, but it didn't grab me as much as Fallout 4, Mad Max, and Kerbel Space Program this year. Ironically I played more Darkest Dungeon than Witcher so far this year. I've finished both Witcher 1 and 2. Both are also very good games.

I'm sure I'll get back to it. Right now if it's a choice between Mad Max and this, which I both have on my One in my Office (My PS4 is in my bedroom) right now I'd rather play Mad Max which is just great fun.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:39 am

Once you get out of that first newbie area and hit lvl 6-7, the game really takes off. It becomes this huge, living world. Some of the quest lines are pretty damn amazing.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:03 pm

What are your guys' Xbox names?

I'm really enjoying this game. I'm not far, and couldn't really hack it on Blood n Bones so turned it back down to default. The difference is crazy. Like the first demon in the well quest from the notice board. On default? Little bit of healing is all you need. Next difficulty? You're out hunting down some bear fat to make a potion to do more damage against spectre and probably enhanced weapons/armors buff from the tables. And you'll still lose

But damn it's beautiful. And a really interesting world. I played the first game but didn't like the second. Havent read the novels so it's all very foreign to me, but this game brings you right into it all very easily.

Just get it, Jay, it tells you all the history and fills you in
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:14 pm

Drem wrote:What are your guys' Xbox names?

I'm really enjoying this game. I'm not far, and couldn't really hack it on Blood n Bones so turned it back down to default. The difference is crazy. Like the first demon in the well quest from the notice board. On default? Little bit of healing is all you need. Next difficulty? You're out hunting down some bear fat to make a potion to do more damage against spectre and probably enhanced weapons/armors buff from the tables. And you'll still lose

But damn it's beautiful. And a really interesting world. I played the first game but didn't like the second. Havent read the novels so it's all very foreign to me, but this game brings you right into it all very easily.

Just get it, Jay, it tells you all the history and fills you in

I don't have Xbox One, just PS4.

Yeah, I am playing on next to hardest difficulty and it's a decent challenge. It's just really an amazing game. It wasn't until you progress to the second area on the world map that I realized how huge it is. I just hit level 10. I have been sticking close to the main roads and questline because shit gets so brutal when you step off the path in the wrong area. The larger cities are incredible. Tons of quests and they did a great job with the NPCs wandering around, the dialogue, etc. Top notch game.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:45 pm

My Xbox name is Dark Vroom. My old Xbox account was hijacked by my kids and is now their account.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:05 pm

I've always avoided the Witcher series because it's been PC only and my PC is not a gaming one by any stretch, but are the console ports worth it?
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:11 pm

I don't think the first is on consoles, and it's really old so should run fine on a bad pc at this point. It plays top down like an isometric rpg. Witcher 2 I only played on Xbox, seems like a solid port, or it was designed for console, can't tell. It plays like a 3rd person action rpg, somewhat linear. The way meditation and all the systems work seems to change from game to game. Meditating was huge in the first game, seems like a wait feature at this point

Apparently they're all based on a very successful series of novels in Poland. Doesnt feel too far off from Game of Thrones. Also the first Witcher was the first game that was 100% morally gray, with your choices always fucking someone over no matter what. The writing is really excellent.

Makes Bethesda writing look like a childrens' bedtime stories
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:36 pm

Lyion wrote:My Xbox name is Dark Vroom.

Cool, I'm "paper cle", I'll add ya tonite after work. All I have for multiplayer so far is Battlefield 4 and Destiny :/
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:59 pm

Well this game is lots of fun. I get Baldur's Gate 1 vibes from the landscape and the cities, and it's a lot like Dragon's Dogma. Really fun quests. Not a bunch of fetch quests!

I'm still not very far tho. Just lvl 9 and still in Velen doing side quests.

The horse is ridiculous tho. An idiot. I'm finding it easier to just run around. Agro is still the best horse in a video game
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:05 pm

still haven't played W3 but here's a thing that makes me laugh re: horses. kind of a longpost but it makes me roll every time

HORSES
Ruddha posted:
I personally guarantee you a dog will never in this life hear a bee then have a heart attack out of fear, dying

Ruddha posted:
I don’t know about anyone else, but I know for a fact that horses are stupider than shit and WILL kill themselves if you don’t take an absurd amount of precautions and adorn them in the right silly accessories so that they don’t scare themselves and fall over dead, and even then at best you can reduce the chances that they will do that, but they’re still absolutely going to.

Ruddha posted:
Babies grow up and that’s okay, it’s like, sometimes a great meal is worth a lot of prep, for example. Horses only get more likely to die from a stupid reason as they get older. Oh poor ol’ Freckles, thought of ants and died

Ruddha posted:
With horses, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they’ve strictly only died from stupid shit. Saw water and passed away

Baronjutter posted:
As someone who grew up with a couple friends into horses and fucking dressage I can say that if anything you are being way too easy going on them. Its like their survival strategy is to break their legs or kill them selves at the slightest sign of danger, or a noise, or a change in humidity.

My friends barn had to install a big fence because they were next to a turkey farm and despite the horses seeing these birds every single fucking day, any time you’d ride past them most of the horses would briefly flip out and hurt them selves or throw their rider when the turkeys came into view. You could literally ride in a loop for an hour and every single time the horse would “scare” at the turkeys.

Maybe wilder horses are smarter but dressage horses are more fragile and stupid than a baby that just learned to crawl. They will jump onto fences and cut them selves in half, they will get stuck between buildings, they will randomly for no reason at all break their legs. If there is a way to kill or hurt them selves they will find it. And people drop 50k or more on these idiots.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:03 am

Just now starting this game. I feel so old that I get so overwhelmed with games these days. Once I get about 5-10 hours in I'm sure it will all make sense and become second nature navigating the menus and combat.

Right now I almost dread firing it up and spending the first 10 mins just refreshing my mind on what i'm supposed to be doing.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Drem » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:44 pm

good luck!

i put like 100 hours into this game and thought "Man i must be getting close" so i looked it up and i had just finished act 1 of 3 what the fuck. this game has way too much to do
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:13 pm

I'm trying to play it, but my life fell apart and so it's on hold.

It's a fucking masterpiece. I'm only like level 7 and barely dented the game.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:23 pm

PS4s being under $300 is a good step toward me playing this game

if it gets to the point where i can get a console and W3 for $250 i'll pull the trigger

EDIT: unless the next nintendo system comes out before then

compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tossica » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:10 am

Fired this one up again recently. Crank the difficulty all the way up and enjoy one of the greatest games every created.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:12 am

Funny i just did recently as well.

Beat Kingdom Hearts 1 finally and kind of started 2 for when my kid is awake.

Black ops 4 and witcher 3 when she goes to bed.

As expected all i remembered to do was use the Quen shield on myself and swing the swords but hopefully get back into the concoctions and stuff.

Level 26 i think and beat a lvl 30 cyclops so i have that going for me....which is nice...
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tossica » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:50 am

Reynaldo wrote:Funny i just did recently as well.

Beat Kingdom Hearts 1 finally and kind of started 2 for when my kid is awake.

Black ops 4 and witcher 3 when she goes to bed.

As expected all i remembered to do was use the Quen shield on myself and swing the swords but hopefully get back into the concoctions and stuff.

Level 26 i think and beat a lvl 30 cyclops so i have that going for me....which is nice...

You playing on the hardest difficulty? It gives it more of an EQ feel. You end up doing a lot of trying to split up groups of mobs and a lot of running away.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:16 am

Heck no! I'm on normal.

These days I don't want a crazy challenge unless I'm willingly getting into it (Soulsbourne games). Especially on games that are super big/long anyway like this one and Skyrim. Just want to play through once, get the story and hang it up.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Return to Other Worlds