Dark Souls 3

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Dark Souls 3

Postby Lyion » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:28 pm

Just picked up for Xbox One via the Yen Card Trick.

Plan on spending the weekend playing...
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Dark Souls 3

Postby Tossica » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:46 am

Us suckers gotta wait til April.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:50 am

I've been replaying Dark Souls II on PS4. Looks awesome at 60 FPS. Great game, and SOTFS really changes a lot of enemy placement and what not. Cleans up some oddities. The DLC is pretty awesome so far, and pretty punishingly difficult.

I'm happy to wait until April for DS3.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:08 pm

Miyazaki's involved with this one, right? I didn't like DS2 and still haven't finished it
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:54 am

OMG!
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:37 am

Is it odd that Dark Souls II on PS4 has better graphics and seems to have a smoother framerate.

I like the addition of ashen ester flasks and bringing MP (or FP) back. I like that pure melee have a use for Attunement and FP also, although I'm not sure how that system works yet.

Not crazy about bringing luck back into the equation, but what ever. Another dump stat I guess.

I like that they seemed to have removed the other non-estus healing items.

Pyromancy seems to have replaced hexes, as the INT and Faith build. I liked the way hexes worked in DSII. They seem to keep tweaking pyromancy, as they don't really know what to do with it.

The combat itself is very different. It's very different from both Dark Souls I and II and even Bloodborne. You're springy like DS (which I don't like) but even more so. I don't roll so much as jump now. I thought the combat in DSII gave the characters a bit more weight. Alternatively Bloodborne was more fast past, but the rolling dynamics were still really strong. This one seems slow and floaty neither like Bloodborne or Dark Souls. It will take some getting used to. Maybe they just rebuilt the engine and they couldn't get the timing right. I'll live with it.

Only 1 hour in already. The first boss is mean. I don't like the idea of putting such a hard boss right out of the gates. Many new players will just give up I think.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:29 am

Maybe it was made for PS4 and ported to PC? (Doubtful)
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:52 am

Zanchief wrote:Is it odd that Dark Souls II on PS4 has better graphics and seems to have a smoother framerate.

I like the addition of ashen ester flasks and bringing MP (or FP) back. I like that pure melee have a use for Attunement and FP also, although I'm not sure how that system works yet.

Not crazy about bringing luck back into the equation, but what ever. Another dump stat I guess.

I like that they seemed to have removed the other non-estus healing items.

Pyromancy seems to have replaced hexes, as the INT and Faith build. I liked the way hexes worked in DSII. They seem to keep tweaking pyromancy, as they don't really know what to do with it.

The combat itself is very different. It's very different from both Dark Souls I and II and even Bloodborne. You're springy like DS (which I don't like) but even more so. I don't roll so much as jump now. I thought the combat in DSII gave the characters a bit more weight. Alternatively Bloodborne was more fast past, but the rolling dynamics were still really strong. This one seems slow and floaty neither like Bloodborne or Dark Souls. It will take some getting used to. Maybe they just rebuilt the engine and they couldn't get the timing right. I'll live with it.

Only 1 hour in already. The first boss is mean. I don't like the idea of putting such a hard boss right out of the gates. Many new players will just give up I think.

It feels like a DS/Bloodborne hybrid as far as atmosphere goes.

The first boss was a total pushover. Beat in a couple of tries. I haven't really found a challenge yet. I've died plenty but there hasn't been a really nasty spot that I've found. The 2nd boss I beat on the 1st try and only had to use 1 estus. I am in the Undead Village now.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:51 pm

Yes I beat him in a couple of tries also, but he wasn't a pushover. He's definitely the hardest first boss in a souls game. Most of the other early bosses have easy attack patterns and a lot of HP so you are forced to learn how to beat them. This one is the opposite. He has low HP and he does a lot of dmg, which will make him very frustrating to new players.

And Jay, I mean Dark Souls II seems to run smoother on PS4 than Dark Souls III does. It's odd because I was loving the graphical improvements on PS4 and found they didn't all translate to this one. Odd.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:41 pm

The first bosses are fairly easy if you played previous Dark Souls games. Wait until you get to Aldrich and then talk to me. I finished the game last night and pretty much enjoyed it. I do think it was a little bit too much like the previous game and not enough of a break and its own. Still, fairly fun.

If anyone on Xbox one needs help with anything with it let me know.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:29 pm

I think the framerate shit is debatable. Some people really like the ultra-smooth 60fps. I don't. I am one of those weirdos that think lower fps makes the game feel less twitchy and more cinematic. I don't like Battlefield 4 anymore on Xbox One because now it's hyper smooth and it just feels weird after playing it with shitty fps for so long on xbox 360

Dark Souls 2 definitely went for that ultra smooth framerate
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:47 am

I've had zero issues with the framerate.

Jolly cooperation is great this time around. Every time I put my sign down, I get summoned in a few seconds.

I'm really enjoying the game but have found it easy to put the controller down and go do something else. This probably says more about my current priorities than it does about the game but I know with DS and DSII, I was putting in some long days and nights when it first came out.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:25 am

I'm really feeling the claws dig into me. I'm loving this game so far, but I'm trying to pace myself to just a few hours a night. I'm dealing with the FPS thing, I'm not a ludite like Drem so I like the smooth frame rate in DS2. Getting used to the springy combat for now, but I'm loving the additions. Have power moves is going to make combat so much better. I wonder how it will impact PVP. The game itself is much more in keeping with DS and Demons Souls though, so those that didn't care much for DSII should enjoy it more. I don't think it will have the connectivity that DS1 had though, but that didn't both me that much.

One real jerk move
Spoiler for :
The first chest you encounter in the game is a Mimic. Like really guys. Instant death for new players looking for something sparkly
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Wed May 04, 2016 7:10 am

I'm over 40hrs in now and currently in the Archives. Kick ass game.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Thu May 05, 2016 6:48 am

I've been playing from time to time. Not very far right now. I'm enjoying it a lot, but with the NBA playoffs and other stuff, I just don't have the time. It's really awesome though. I'm looking forward to going through it a second time already.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Sun May 15, 2016 9:40 am

compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tossica » Tue May 17, 2016 6:21 am

Beat it this weekend. Kind of anticlimactic ending but I am well in to my 2nd Journey now.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Tue May 17, 2016 3:43 pm

Toss, totally agree except the default ending is the lesser one. The usurp the fire one is much better. I had to read through it on a wiki to figure it out, though.

My first play through also was totally solo. Some of the bosses are insane that way <Nameless King, Aldritch, Lord of Cinder>. Second game I did a ton of coop.

PVP remains good, but the faction rewards are a bit weak. They need a boost.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Tue May 31, 2016 5:39 am

This was by far the easiest of all 5 of the Souls type games but thoroughly enjoyable.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Tue May 31, 2016 6:26 am

I always find them hard my first play through, but that statement is nonsense. Dark Souls II doesn't really have any hard bosses aside from some of the optional bosses. Bloodborne is also very easy. Only a couple of hard bosses and all are optional. None of the levels are particularly hard either, and they don't have any environmental hazards. Demon's Souls is the hardest for me, but maybe it's because I don't play it much.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:42 am

Ok then. I beat nearly every boss in DS III within 3 tries. This makes it the easiest of any of the games from my experience.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:56 am

I beat almost every boss in Bloodborne on the first try. Same with DSII. Now, I'm playing DSIII without a shield because they are just way overpowered in DSI and II so that might be adding to the challenge a little. The only real top tier boss I've fought so far is Pontiff Sulyvahn I guess, but he's harder that any boss in DSII aside from Ancient Dragon and Dark Lurker (both optional).
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Zanchief » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:31 am

Took the day off work on Monday to finally finish this game. I liked the last boss a lot. I wouldn't say the game is anti-climactic. All the games end the same way. I think the game is challenging enough, but I caved and started using a shield in the second half and the game became a lot easier. The game punishes you for not using one. Most bosses are easy if you just turtle. Lothric Prince beat me hard a bunch of times when I switched my strat and turtled and he was a joke. Pontiff might be the same.

I like that the last bosses are harder than the first ones. In Dark Souls the big 4 bosses are joke with the exception of 4 Kings with certain builds. In this one it feels like the bosses get harder and harder for the most part. Lord of Cinder was pretty easy though.

The Nameless King is such an awesome fight though. It might be my favorite along with Artorios, and Alonne Knight. Half way through NG+ now. Enjoying it still.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Reynaldo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:02 am

Friend recently bought this and I've been watching it on the shared play thing on PS4 some. Really the first game in awhile that seems as much fun to watch as it is to play.

Pure comedy listening to the shouting on the other end of the headphones when the boss with a sliver of life left completely takes him down.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Return to Other Worlds