What games you guys playing lately?

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

What games you guys playing lately?

Postby Drem » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:39 pm

I've been heavy into Steep for a couple months now. Got 6th place on Xbox in the recent world tour. Also still loving Hyperlight Drifter, Stardew Valley, Inside, Ori and the Blind Forest, FTL, Rocket League, and just got into Sublevel Zero (Descent lives!!)

For whatever reason, the older I get the less interested I am in RPGs and long games. I've still only covered half the map in Fallout 4, been playing Witcher 3 since 2015 and still in act 2 (how many fucking side quests does this game have?), still haven't beaten Dark Souls 2 or started 3, etc etc. Not sure exactly why but I blame Everquest because 95% of the time I'm playing some other RPG i find myself reminiscing over EQ and wishing that whatever game I'm playing had this or that that EQ had. More open space, taller trees, roaming mobs with aggro radius, the fear of death and long corpse runs, etc. But even when I set up P99 and dive back in it only holds my attention for a couple hours before i uninstall for another 6 months

What're you guys up to as far as gaming these days?
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: What games you guys playing lately?

Postby Reynaldo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:39 am

I made the move 4 years ago to strictly PS4 so I play

COD: Infinite Warfare probably 3 nights a week multiplayer (don't touch the campaign)

Skyrim

Occasional Diablo 3.

Witcher3 waiting in the wings for when i finish skyrim.....

Made a pact with myself to get through the games i own before buying more. So hopefully Horizon is 20 bucks in a year when i finish these =P
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:28 am

Just finished Horizon Zero Dawn. About to start Persona 5 and will get Breath of the Wild when Nintendo Switch becomes widely available again.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Yeah I only game on console too except when I do Diablo 3 or get the itch for EQ. I did have a moment with Darkest Dungeon and FTL tho and loved those games. I'm definitely not loading Steam up at all during the sale tho. That shit for the last two years has netted me over 100 games and I've played like 5 of them. Nice to be able to load up some realllllly old games completely hassle-free tho. I haven't had a desktop PC in almost 6 years tho and playing games on my ultrabook with tiny screen isn't very fun

I really want a Switch, too. That Zelda game looks so awesome and I'd love to be able to pick up and walk away when the wife wants to watch Netflix. Also I heard they're putting Steep out on it and that game is so good I actually want to start over and do all the challenges again now that I'm a better rider
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:51 am

never heard of steep, what is that? also i played sublevel zero a bit right before we moved to the house and then walked away because i couldn't play it on my TV anymore

hmm late last year early this year i spent a lot of time on Halcyon 6, a kind of retro space exploration + base management game. after that, i played through DX3 now that my desktop box is beefier than it used to be. didn't quite push through to the end though as i had already beat it back in the day

went through a phase where i played nothing but L4D2, got somewhat decent at it (i'm normally shit at FPS, though i think i only really enjoy it because it's coop PvE)

got stardew valley and fell hard into that for a couple months. played all the way through until i got the iridium cat statue, then started over to make some different choices w/r/t skill benefits and farm layout. got a ways in on the second run and realized i was chasing completionism and ruining the game for myself. walked away before i started to hate it.

did a bit more L4D2, then needed something else to kill time while i wait to be able to afford a Switch. picked up Valkyria Chronicles on steam for $5. i beat it several years ago on console before my PS3 melted, but it's a decent (and looong) game that is excellent for using the Steam Link and has some good turn-based combat mechanics - and the price was right.

so i guess that's what i'm on now. hoping to luck out and score a Switch for my bday next month, otherwise i'll sock away a bit of cash here and there and pick one up this fall. hopefully by then they'll have streaming video apps (hulu, netflix, hbogo, amazon, etc) because that's really the only reason i still have a wii u.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:56 pm

steep is a winter sports game. you can snowboard, ski, paraglide, and wingsuit so far (supposedly adding ski gliding and a rocket wingsuit soon). lots of actual licensed gear and apparell that i like IRL from Picture, Line, K2, Spyder, Salomon, The North Face, etc. the original map was based on the Alps, has a lot of mountains like Cursed Peaks, Matterhorn, Mont Blanc, Aiguilles Verte, and a few others. then they added Alaska recently which has Denali, some really huge glaciers, a few other mountains, and a proper mountain town for jibbing and urban stuff. rumor has it they're doing Japan next. powder country. you can spend time doing the challenges they create (big air, races, freestyle, and relief riding), live challenges created by Ubisoft Annecy themselves that change constantly, the world tours that start with a simple qualifier then have two more rounds that get it down to the best 30 players on each platform and awards the top 3 in the end, or just heli dropping anywhere you want and creating your own lines that you can turn into challenges and share with friends.

i love it. been waiting for a snowboarding game like this since 1080

LFD2 is still one of my favorites. i really hate how Valve doesn't seem to like iron sights but damn if they don't make fun games
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:18 pm

I've been playing a mish mash of games lately.

- Breath of the Wild
- Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13
- Fallout 4
- FF4: The After Years
- FF3 (NES translated version)
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Harrison » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:12 pm

The usual really, some new things thrown in.

I have 1000 hours or so in Path of Exile, my main go-to. (Over the course of however many years it's been out, so not that much time really.)

League of Legends still, because it's mindless for me it's so familiar and muscle memory. I don't feel I have to "invest" anything into it. Just hop in and pvp for a couple hours.

Witcher 3 I've put maybe 50-60 hours in and I'm not very far, but I LOVE this game. There's just so much to do, so much feeling to the game. The world feels alive and looks beautiful.

I just got Dragon Age: Inquisition and it's great, but still very early. Only did the prologue part up until the "title screen" so far. Feels like a single player MMO, almost.

I'm always looking for team-based games to play, but I never have any friends/reliable groups so I tend to play these singleplayer games lately.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby 10sun » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:28 pm

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen; I beat the game after about ~60 hours of fucking around and I just started a New Game Plus. I don't know what I am doing; it seems like I'm just farming the best end game gear... there really isn't much left to gain; no new moves etc or game changing gear.
Probably going to move on to something new before long.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Persona 5!!

It's the Final Fantasy 7 of the Persona franchise.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:35 pm

ah, vastly overrated then
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:48 pm

i still don't get your hate for that game. it's no Tactics but it's definitely my favorite of the main series. it's just slightly better than 6 but not by much and 6 has the better villain for sure

Dragon's Dogma is great. I loved it. Really liked the nod to Berserk with Guts/Griffith armor sets. And I had the version without the infinite gate stone so there was tons of running around, which I always prefer to fast travel
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:07 pm

just bein' a dick, not trying to derail

anyway i have really not had much time at all to game the last few weeks what with city elections right around the corner and the people's climate march this saturday that i've been working super hard on

(hehehe "super hard on")

BUT yeah still plinkin' away at valkyria chronicles and watching for a witcher 3 sale here

might see how JC3 looks on the big screen
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Witcher 3 is dope. Like Harrison said, the world feels alive. Really nice. I just don't have the attention span for stuff like that anymore. But maybe it's a good thing that I can still squeeze out many more months because I can't sit down and do it all at once

I'm still just playing Steep every other night for a few hours. Put up a tree run that also goes thru a nice couloir that I'm really happy with from last week's community challenge. My favorite part about this game is the community and how many people are making videos all the time. The game has a fun replay editor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zW1mzF_Mic&t=0m40s
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:38 am

finished valkyria last night, still no W3 sale and still no nintendo switch... so i reinstalled skyrim (never actually beat it the first time)
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:19 am

How do you play Skyrim and not immediately put 200 hours in and then complete it?

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:19 am

idk man some blend of the following i'm sure:
  • getting sidetracked with exploring a million different random caves/castles/ruins/whatever that all start to look the same after a while and getting lost in the minutiae of dwelling/inventory/skill management
  • something else comes up that competes for my free time
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:32 pm

Amen to that.

Started super awesome fun. Hit around level 22 and it got monotonous and was just slogging through ruins, barrows for no real reason.

But every time I run into a fun event or quest it kickstarts me for a few more levels again (just did the fragment reforge thing with the 3 brothers fight), so jonesing to get back to it.

Been stuck using the dawncaller sword for about 15 levels now....just don't really know what to do to get an upgrade.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby 10sun » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:37 pm

Just picked up Forza Horizons 3.
I guess I like racing games now.
Who have I become?
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Drem » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:30 pm

I felt the same way when I was on a Forza 6 kick. I need to get Horizons. How you liking it? I get my offroad fix thru Dirt Rally, which I highly recommend if you haven't tried it and have a wheel setup etc
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:45 am

I have only played the demo; Horizon 3 is still downloading.
I enjoyed the demo tremendously for the gameplay similar to Dirt 3, but with an open world.
This all reminds me, I need to play Spintires again sometime as well. Bought it. Played 2 hours. Never made it back to it.

-Adam
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Jay » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:25 am

Console gaming kinda going through a bit of a renaissance right now. So many good options.

For me it's been Final Fantasy XV, Tales of Berseria, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Persona 5 and next I will play either Nier: Automata or Breath of the Wild if I can find a Nintendo Switch for less than outrageous scalping prices. Also just got an LG B6 oled tv and a PS4 Pro. Gaming looks incredible.

Plus Uncharted Lost Legacy coming out in August, Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite in September, the rest of the Switch lineup...yeah. Good times.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:30 pm

yeah we grabbed a 65" samsung ultra HD LED TV last black friday and it's made gaming pretty awesome. i miss gaming on my PC sometimes but consoles are better now imo. easier. less problems. less graphics tho too but fuck it, if i never see it on Ultra to begin with i don't even know what i'm missing
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Mon May 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Drem wrote:yeah we grabbed a 65" samsung ultra HD LED TV last black friday and it's made gaming pretty awesome. i miss gaming on my PC sometimes but consoles are better now imo. easier. less problems. less graphics tho too but fuck it, if i never see it on Ultra to begin with i don't even know what i'm missing

So pretty much have to suck dick to get a Nintendo Switch around here so I'm probably gonna play Nier Automata next.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Other Worlds