s.t.a.l.k.e.r. - clear sky

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

s.t.a.l.k.e.r. - clear sky

Postby brinstar » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:56 pm

premise: it is the future, chernobyl blew up AGAIN, only this time it left behind a swirling wasteland of mutants, radiation, and dimensional hazards. you are a guy who can somehow survive big radiation bursts, you ally yourself with groups of survivors who battle over territory and resources

fun game so far, though there is almost zero tutorial, making it difficult to get rolling. once you do, it's great. cool environment, good sound effects.

two thumbs up!

i also bought Penumbra - Black Plague but it is too fucking scary and i turned it off after 15 minutes ;\
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Re: s.t.a.l.k.e.r. - clear sky

Postby Drem » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:25 pm

no tutorial because the tutorial was in the first stalker game i'd imagine

i played the first one for a bit and it was pretty cool
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:29 pm

yeah i kinda figured

o well
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:44 pm

Good to hear. I am going to go buy this tomorrow as I enjoyed the first Stalker a lot.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:37 pm

I'm getting raped left and right in this game. I really like the improvements they have made to the AI.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby brinstar » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:58 pm

yeah those motherfuckers are pretty sharp with grenades haha

just wait til you hit the Cordon, those military dudes absolutely rape
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:16 am

I got mowed down by those bastards machine gun like 7 times before I managed to snipe the gunner with my scope AK. So far I have to rank the difficulty much higher than the original game. A very satisfying challenge.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Drem » Mon May 11, 2009 2:26 pm

man fuck that machine gun at the cordon. i came out there at midnight and couldn't see anything. took five steps and blam. did that a few times before i decided "maybe they want me to ignore this" and dodged the bullets matrix-style until i got away

the thing i like about this game is that it feels like a bizarre mixture of the real chernobyl zone, someone's imagination, and tarkovsky's film. the anomalies and throwing the bolts ahead you before you walk is lifted straight out of tarkovsky's film that has nothing to do with a radioactive meltdown or mutants, but names the guides "Stalkers" and they navigate the Zone, heading toward a room in the center that grants the user's innermost desire. which sounds a lot like whatever they're talkin about in this game with the "Wish Granter" at the center. also most of the anomalies are referred to in the film, though you never actually see any happen. like gravity anomalies and how the anomalies always change—opening up new paths and artifacts etc..

so yeah, this game is two thumbs up of rape after a terribly aimless beginning for people that've never played the original (me)
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby baddwin » Tue May 12, 2009 10:50 am

I was playing the first stalker this week, i didn't know there was a new version out from last september. I will get a copy, i really like this game, it's a little more then the usual FPS. Btw, if you played the first game without the lastest patch (1.0005) its more difficult as armor and weapon really degrade. You encounter higher radion zone then the game without any patch.

=D
baddwin
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby baddwin » Fri May 15, 2009 10:37 am

I finally got Clear sky, there much improvement in the UI and th PDA. The mg at the exit of the swamp is very hard and suprising hehe. Well, i killed the bastard later on. I when back at nite going in the back of the base and raped all of them, i get a nice up grade assault rifle in the same time. If ever you do it, sell the gun at clear sky base, they give you 1.7k instead of 700 at the cordon trader (stalker base).

Its a fun game so far, i try to go the the Garbage, i get raped again, this time it was because of the grenade. This should be a very challenging game =D.
baddwin
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Drem » Fri May 15, 2009 6:58 pm

the MG in the beginning of the cordon? does everyone kill that? i never kill anything unless i absolutely have to and i try to knife most people i catch alone so i've got ammo out my fuckin ass atm
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sat May 16, 2009 9:12 am

it's weird, you can't actually kill or use that machine gun but if you do like he said and sneak in via the back side you can take out the whole camp. their weapons are really nice and you can make a good amount of money selling them

there's an actual quest that sends you there to get an experimental medkit, but aside from that i think most people clear out that base as revenge for getting sawn in half by that damn gun right when they zone in ;)
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Sun May 24, 2009 8:20 pm

i got that medkit quest hehe

this game's great. i honestly don't think i've played a game this fun since morrowind

the packs of blind dogs are scary k. and traveling at night or doing anything at night sucks/is great because it's actually pitch black on an overcast night
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Sun May 24, 2009 8:43 pm

crashes like crazy.
Played for like 6 hours after installing and what do you know... reached a point where my saves were invalid b/c of a known bug that was fixed in a patch.
Patched... now my old saves are useless. So time to play again and hope I get my worthwhile artifacts again (the -bleed one is fucking awesome btw) and now I have to farm the fucking machine gun people in the Cordon for their guns, run up and sell them rinse and repeat until I can afford to purchase my suit upgrades again =(
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby brinstar » Mon May 25, 2009 12:01 am

that exact same thing happened to me!

moral of the story: install -> patch -> play
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby 10sun » Tue May 26, 2009 12:20 pm

motherfucker. the drive I had installed the game to died this morning. won't even spin up ><
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Drem » Tue May 26, 2009 9:40 pm

i downloaded a direct play version by TOED and didn't have to install anything. it created its own registry entry with some smaller program and has another .exe to create the game's .exe on your desktop.

i was wondering earlier what everyone was talking about when they mentioned bugs in this game because after a week or so of play and getting to agroprom institute i haven't had a single problem save for one quest in the swamps where iw as supposed to repel an enemy counterattack. everyone in my crew died but i didn't fail the mission. it just has a yellow circle over the spot i need to guard indefinitely and nobody runs over to it to claim it so i don't know hwo to beat that quest. if that's a bug then it's the only one i've seen so far

PS there's a slew of mutants in agroprom that absolutely rape me. what's the best way to handle a massive crowd of those leaping jerks with exposed spines? i carry a .45 and a scoped machine gun only for weight/looting purposes but i feel like i should have a shotty for these retards
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Tue May 26, 2009 10:39 pm

Shotgun w/ the cheapest shot.
Grenade launcher attachment for weapon + grenades.

Pick one.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Drem » Wed May 27, 2009 12:04 am

i ended up beating them with about 80 .45 rounds. and that trip thru the underground was awesome. the psy-emission room was brilliant. i love being able to walk around in a new video game and actually not know what to expect. i turned the difficulty up to master and it's even more immersive. love it

but i finally have one gripe.... the night vision armor mod sucks ass. i was looking forward to it so bad because the nights are realistically pitch black.... but now that i finally got it i wish i had my 2500 roubles back. i see more with my fuckin mining lamp on
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Wed May 27, 2009 8:31 am

The second gen night vision worked wonderfully (purple).
First gen night vision sucks ass (green).
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Return to Other Worlds