finally broke down and got a 360

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: finally broke down and got a 360

Postby brinstar » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:09 pm

brinstar wrote:
Drem wrote:the fanaticism is just a result of the timing. first big million-dollar game, first big 3d roamer besides maybe Quest 64, etc. etc. and aeris dying of course broke the hearts of many sad, lonely, single men. we all know everything about it now tho so it's hard to imagine how badass it was when it came out

definitely deserves all the praise in every way imo. and i used to think FF6 and stuff were better. lol. not even close

one man's treasure is another man's trash. once the novelty of FMV wore off all you had was rough polygon "3D" graphics, boring characters, a one-dimensional villain, a stillborn plot, and crappy dialog

i know this is like arguing abortion or religion or [insert some other topic where no one's perspective ever changes] but i'm sorry you think badgame is good :dunno:

music was good though, gotta hand it to uematsu
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tikker » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:41 pm

does anyone fiddle with transcode 360 at all? or anything similar?

tversity?
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:42 pm

leah wrote:FF7 is the last FF game i ever played because they got too confusing after that. too many buttons :( but FF6 will always and forever be my favorite FF game, if not favorite SNES game (chrono trigger takes the top spot alternately; just depends on how i'm feeling, hehe. FF4 is in there, too!)

i thought the materia system was stupidly confusing, though. espers were way easier to figure out, imo. i guess i represent the section of players who like story and don't like to work too hard to play a game--all you gamer guys like a gameplay challenge; i just want medium-difficulty and decent characters/story. games are too complicated these days :(

You just made my balls moist.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:55 pm

brinstar wrote:
Drem wrote:the fanaticism is just a result of the timing. first big million-dollar game, first big 3d roamer besides maybe Quest 64, etc. etc. and aeris dying of course broke the hearts of many sad, lonely, single men. we all know everything about it now tho so it's hard to imagine how badass it was when it came out

definitely deserves all the praise in every way imo. and i used to think FF6 and stuff were better. lol. not even close

one man's treasure is another man's trash. once the novelty of FMV wore off all you had was rough polygon "3D" graphics, boring characters, a one-dimensional villain, a stillborn plot, and crappy dialog

i know this is like arguing abortion or religion or [insert some other topic where no one's perspective ever changes] but i'm sorry you think badgame is good :dunno:

I'll give you the crappy dialogue part but the story, villain and some of the characters were awesome. Cloud, Cid, Barrett, Cait Sith, and of course Aeris were great characters. Tifa, Red, Vincent and Red were sorta boring to me. It just wasn't believable to me that a girl with tits that big would have loneliness issues. Vincent was one of your first emo icons. Yuffie was plain retarded and Red XIII was like a 12 year old trapped in some sort of fire lion thingy's body. He was kinda dumb. As far as the graphics go, they were decent during their time and definitely looked better than everything on Playstation. The story I felt was top notch, well structured and I liked it overall. There were a few details I didn't like. I sort of agree that Sephiroth was 1 dimensional although I still thought he was pretty cool from a psychological standpoint. I think what they should have done was made Sephiroth struggle with his identity a bit more, sorta like how Cloud does, before things obviously go the way they go.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Ginzburgh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:35 pm

i know this is like arguing abortion or religion or [insert some other topic where no one's perspective ever changes] but i'm sorry you think badgame is good

Wrong, you think a good game is bad. It's definitely you, not the game.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:53 pm

worst FF, sorry
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Ginzburgh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:53 pm

why are you apologizing?
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:57 pm

brinstar wrote:worst FF, sorry

uh

7 is no where near the worst

5 is pretty terrible

8 was an abomination, 10 was fucking horrible as well

FF4 is probably the best overall. it was the first really epic RPG out there

I prefer 9 to 7 as well, but 7 was very good, still probably a top 20 all time RPG
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:05 am

tactics is the best FF for sure

and 7's far from the worst
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:39 am

Tactics could have been made 10X better with the addition of some free-range world movement. Battle to battle with nothing else inbetween isn't the best way to do things if you ask me.

I still LOVE the game though, and still play it from time to time to this day.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:13 am

9 was ok. It's more of a nostalgia rehash than anything. The story sucked and you could tell towards the end that Square gave up on it to work on FFX. Tactics is one of the best games I've ever played, however I don't really count it as part of the "best Final Fantasy" debate. 6 and 7 are the best of the series. Personally I'm leaning more towards 6.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:23 am

ya, 6 ftw.

i'm playing 3 on the DS now and i am really really bad at it. i think i am failing at the jobs concept, and also where the hell can i buy things like ethers (my idiots keep running out of MP), fenix downs, and a tent of some sort??!

i love the "magical fold-up canoe," lol
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Tossica » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:58 pm

Tikker wrote:I loved the story of FF7

the whole thing about WTF is cloud was great

but back to 360 stuff

everytime i see Toss online, he's busy watching netflix, heh

Yeah, I use mine mostly for Netflix these days. The new girl has been over most nights and weekends and well, chilling with girl watching Netflix > chilling alone playing gheym.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Harrison wrote:Tactics could have been made 10X better with the addition of some free-range world movement. Battle to battle with nothing else in between isn't the best way to do things if you ask me.

good point
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Ginzburgh » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:38 pm

Yeah, I use mine mostly for Netflix these days. The new girl has been over most nights and weekends and well, chilling with girl watching Netflix > chilling alone playing gheym.

Speaking of which Toss!

http://www.netflix.com/InstantStreamingDisc
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:44 pm

brinstar wrote:
Harrison wrote:Tactics could have been made 10X better with the addition of some free-range world movement. Battle to battle with nothing else in between isn't the best way to do things if you ask me.

good point

I found the 5 characters the limiting point for me

Tactics Ogre (which FFT is a complete rip off of) you field 10 guys per fight (at least)

it allows you to add in classes like archers/thieves and some of the odder magic users without giving up your really prime classes

also, height is actually important

if i'm up a cliff, I can shoot twice as far with a bow (and reverse if you're trying to shoot uphill)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby kiral » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:09 pm

I still got tactics ogre for psx, did you prefer being a lord or having kachua?
kiral
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Drem » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:55 am

it may seem like a rip off because it's created by the same guy
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:30 am

Ginzburgh wrote:

Speaking of which Toss!

http://www.netflix.com/InstantStreamingDisc

Why would you have to put a disc in? That's fucking stupid. MS already showed them exactly how to do it and they still fuck it up.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ginzburgh » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:46 pm

WHAAAA!

Is it really that much of an inconvenience?

Oh by the way, how is that HD DVD player working out?
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:22 pm

Ginzburgh wrote:WHAAAA!

Is it really that much of an inconvenience?

Oh by the way, how is that HD DVD player working out?

You don't think having to put a disc in for something like that is stupid? Why not just patch it in to the OS?

HD-DVD player is great. I've got about 60 HD-DVDs most of which I've gotten for free or paid $3-4 and have hi def versions of many of my all time fave movies. I have about 7 BR's because the fucking things are still $29. I only buy them when I find them used or clearanced.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ginzburgh » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:26 pm

I bet you have a wicked laserdisc collection too.

And no, I don't think putting the disc in is stupid if the end result is the same.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:35 pm

Same EXACT encoding on two discs, 1 is HD-DVD for $4.99, other is BR for $29.99. I'll save the $25. Options, they are nice to have.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jay » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:57 pm

Blurays arent that expensive if you buy em from Amazon.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Jay wrote:Blurays arent that expensive if you buy em from Amazon.

Yeah, I've seen lots of good sales on BR's. My point is I don't regret the HD-DVD purchases.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Other Worlds