Dragon Age: Origins

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:39 am

Best PC game I've bought in the last 5 years.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Ginzburgh » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:04 am

Getting it for the PS3 on Saturday.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:38 am

What's the best platform to get it on and if you go PC, is it something you'd need a fairly new PC to play it?
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:28 am

My 360 died so PC was the only platform I have.

I have a Q6600 with GTX 260 and it runs great on it. The new Bioware engine is optimized for Dual and Quad Cores so those will work better, for a change.

I think you'll be good with it on any platform, to be honest.

Really enjoying this game so far. A lot of story, great RPG elements, and decent graphics.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Ginzburgh » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:39 am

From the Wiki article:

Differences between console versions
The Playstation 3 version features higher-quality textures than those on the Xbox 360, better color saturation, smoother facial animations, and shorter load times. On the Xbox 360, textures are highly compressed and colors are washed out, though this leads to a smoother frame rate than on the PlayStation 3
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Probably just get it on ps3 then and save building a new pc until the i7 and corresponding mobos come down in price.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:11 pm

Picked it up on Steam yesterday. Pretty good so far, though it is pretty easy to get mobbed and die if you just rush in.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:04 pm

For the record, I hate Redcliffe.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:31 pm

Some tips. Mages are by far easier than any other class. Get Heal and an AE and it makes any encounter vastly easier.

Rogues are the hardest to get where one is going.

If one is playing a rogue or warrior, then be sure to get Morrigan a heal spell ASAFP. After, get her a good AE.

This is very much a traditional Bioware RPG. Pause and planning are ones friend. The AI can be manipulated wonderfully, but after a few levels there are enough things that planning is needed and ensuring ones team is focus firing is important.

I've made two characters, one to 8 and the other level 10 and done a good chunk of the storyline. I'd be glad to chat about any issues anyone might have.

I'm still working up reputation, and it is a bitch.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:27 am

Im in the Mages Tower right now. Rogue/War/Mage/Mage party. Main, Alistair, Morrigan, Wynne. I'm quite tempted to restart with what I know now though. I'm enjoying the game, but at times I feel there is waaaay to much dialogue.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:03 am

You can hit escape and skip any dialogue you want.

As for me, I'm loving it. The dialogue and writing is superb. Par for the course for Bioware.

I'm hoping they sell a boatload and keep the DLC coming for this. I went ahead and picked up Mass Effect this weekend for 10 bucks when I'm done with this.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:23 pm

I'm definitely getting a better handle on how to use a rogue. I love the animations you get for death blow, especially the Ogre one.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Ginzburgh » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:59 am

The only thing that sucks is, all the characters have so many talents and spells, considering I can't play all the characters at once, there are a lot of talents and spells that are going to go to waste. I was just messing around with that mage chick and i found a spell where she can turn into a huge bug for tanking. If I hadn't been tooling around I would never have known that because she typically just hangs back and launches magic.

I'm sure it's a ton easier to cycle through the different characters in your party on a PC with a mouse and keyboard but on console it's a pain in the ass. So I just play my main character (human rogue/ranger) and let the other group members do their default damage and the only time I switch them up is when I need to use a health pot, which also sucks, they should auto pot if they have one when they get to like 10% health.

And yes, there is way too much dialogue.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:21 pm

360 or PC?

i may break down and pick this one up. i suspect it'll run better on the 360 vs my aging laptop, but if it works better on pc, i'll go that way
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:45 am

I have a PC, but it looks like it'll be fine on a 360, too.

If your 360 is hooked up to a huge bigscreen, definitely go that route. I would've considered the 360, but mine RRODed.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Ginzburgh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:21 am

I have it for PS3. It's one of the few games that was made for the PS3 first, then ported to the 360. It probably looks pretty awesome on the 360 too though.

And I played for like seven hours last night. Any negative opinion i had for this game has been suppressed.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:37 am

Lyion wrote:I have a PC, but it looks like it'll be fine on a 360, too.

If your 360 is hooked up to a huge bigscreen, definitely go that route. I would've considered the 360, but mine RRODed.

I saw you log in to LIVE yesterday or the day before.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:30 am

Well, not unless someone is using my account, which would be surprising to me. I have no working 360. Mine is in pieces in my basement, as I tried to fix it, but no go. It's possible my kid let another person from school use it. I'll ask this afternoon, but I doubt that.

Eventually I'll get another Xbox. My last one made it 4 years, and hopefully the next gen will be more reliable.

I heard LIVE was banning people with modded 360s. Isn't yours modded, Toss?

Back to DA. Zevran is currently my fave dialogue person, but he's also the least useful to bring in my group. Morrigan is the most useful, but she's an absolute evil cunt and disapproves of half the things I do. My main group seems to stay Alistair, Morrigan, Leliana, and myself. I rotate Sten, Zevran, and the dog in for different encounters. Even in the early teens my gear still has a lot of holes.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Ginzburgh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:36 am

I have the same group but I'm a ranger so my pet is a fifth.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:36 am

Lyion wrote:Well, not unless someone is using my account, which would be surprising to me. I have no working 360. Mine is in pieces in my basement, as I tried to fix it, but no go. It's possible my kid let another person from school use it. I'll ask this afternoon, but I doubt that.

Eventually I'll get another Xbox. My last one made it 4 years, and hopefully the next gen will be more reliable.

I heard LIVE was banning people with modded 360s. Isn't yours modded, Toss?

Back to DA. Zevran is currently my fave dialogue person, but he's also the least useful to bring in my group. Morrigan is the most useful, but she's an absolute evil cunt and disapproves of half the things I do. My main group seems to stay Alistair, Morrigan, Leliana, and myself. I rotate Sten, Zevran, and the dog in for different encounters. Even in the early teens my gear still has a lot of holes.

Aren't you Superfrog? My 360 is not modded. Depending what happened to your 360 it can be a simple fix.

My main character is a warrior and my main group is Leliana, Morrigan and my dog.

LOVE the game. Played it for like 8 hrs yesterday. The dream world encounter was sweet.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ginzburgh » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:42 am

The Fade where the mage chick had to kill the demon to save the boy?

Allistar was definitely not happy that I sacrificed the mom. haha.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:39 pm

Tossica wrote:Aren't you Superfrog? My 360 is not modded. Depending what happened to your 360 it can be a simple fix.

My main character is a warrior and my main group is Leliana, Morrigan and my dog.

LOVE the game. Played it for like 8 hrs yesterday. The dream world encounter was sweet.

I've tried to fix mine, but no matter what I try it won't get past the initial error message. I've taken it apart and tried every item I could find.

I really think the last software update just fuckbutted my 360. It was running perfectly fine in my office.. Downloaded the software 'upgrade' and popped up. It's been gathering dust in my basement since then, so I wasn't logged on from home.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:11 am

ECKS BOCKS THREE SHITTY
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Harrison » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:52 pm

I'm really into this game now that I've put some serious play into it.

The voice acting is very well done. I love the bloodstains being persistent, too.

Having Allistair and Morrigan in the same party is pure hilarity. The banter makes me literally laugh aloud.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Ginzburgh » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:22 pm

Yeah the banter is definitely fantastic. Leliana and Morrigan banter is funny too. They just talk about chick shit all the time. It's like I'm on a dungeon crawl with my wife and one of her friends. Talking about clothes and shit.

My group is Alister, Sten, Wynn and me (master ranger). I have my pimp pet too. I'm in the dwarf place right now, just killed the dwarf rogue cartel leader. Think i'm like 20 hours in. I have been doing a lot of side quests too. A buddy of mine is 30 hours in and sticking with the main quest line and he thinks he's almost done.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Next

Return to Other Worlds