Demon's Souls

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Demon's Souls

Postby Drem » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:32 pm

should've taken your word for this game a long time ago. skyrim's only hard on master for the first 15 levels. this shit is HARD. i feel like i've been looking for a game like this since everquest, no joke
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:19 pm

That's what I'm saying! It feels like EQ in a lot of ways. That gut wrenching feeling when you die and know you've lost hours worth of work. It HURTS to die.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:10 am

and for the record, the brief glimpse of a dragon i saw going into undead burg was much more impressive than skyrim's dragons
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Menelvir » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

I think you all have sold me. I will have to at least give it a try.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:47 am

I speak only from experience with Demon's Souls, the enemies have a real dread to them that is very infrequent in games, because you know they are going to kick your ass. If you see a Dragon in Skyrim, you know you can beat it. Maybe you die, reload and kill him the next time. In these games, if he comes at you, there's a very good chance he kills you before you figure out how to kill him. Plus, since there's no save states, there's a big penalty to dying. I think the thing I like most about the game is the no save state thing. I'm hating on save states these days. Imagine a game like Skyrim where you couldn't reload everytime you failed a pickpocket, or anytime you accidentally killed someome you weren't supposed to? It instantly makes the game that much more difficult and consequently rewarding.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:04 am

Ok, I played another 30 minutes.. Came out of a Tower, and a big Ogre looking mofo smashed me into pulp.. lol...Wot?
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 am

Lyion, I assume you are in the Undead Burg, not the tutorials still, right? Look around on you when you traverse the white. There's a ladder to your right. Use it to your advantage.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Ok, I'll play a bit more tonight. I do want to check out the Amalur Reckoning game first. The controls are pretty spiffy on my PS3 and I like the combat.

I guess I'll need to assume big things actually hit like really big things in this game based on the convo in this thread.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:37 pm

Yes. Standing toe to toe with many of the enemies will get your ass handed to you in one hit. Find a way to get the advantage and use it.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Also, be prepared to swap out gear in a hurry. Some monsters will laugh at your bladed weapon but will be susceptible to blunt or fire, etc. Try to keep your overall weight below 50% of your load limit if you want to have any kind of maneuverability in combat. Once you go over 50%, you really start to feel weighed down in the combat controls. If you're primarily a caster, being under 25% load opens up some acrobatics that allow you to really stick and move.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:00 pm

As a general rule, I'd say to concentrate on upgrading your equipment over leveling up. This game is ALL about the gear. My first play through I was lvl 100 by the time I got to the end, I just did a play through and am lvl 20. Next one I will not level up at all and see how much harder it is. It limits what you can equip and what spells/miracles you can cast but also teaches you how to be a total bad ass with very few hit points and a light equipment load. If you plan on making the multi-player a large part of the game (HIGHLY recommended), I'd level up sparingly but steadily. Things get pretty lonely when you are in the higher level areas and everyone else is 50-80 levels higher than you. Burgs - no higher than lvl 20 or so, Depths - 30-40, Sens Fortress - 50, Anor Londo/New Londo Ruins 50-60, Duke's/Catacombs/Giant's Tomb etc lvl 60-70. Basic guideline.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:09 pm

If you do die twice in a row and lose your souls/humanity, that's a good time to do some exploring and take chances you wouldn't normally take. TONS AND TONS of secrets, rewards and perils waiting for the curious in this game.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:02 pm

Ok, just finished up my game and am now in New Game +. I'm still lvl 20 and should be able to group with anyone lvl 9-31 or so. If you are on PS3, add me. Kuttkreatorr

I can help you get through some of the early content if you're getting smoked.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:26 am

i picked a knight. using that 50% weight tip is nice for mobility but then i get my fuckin ass kicked because i have to use a shit shield and no helmet. undead parish is tearing me up. just lost 3000 souls :/ but must..... play..... more......
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:46 am

Yeah, the load ratio/vs getting your ass kicked is one of the things that keeps it interesting. Trying to find the perfect gear combination that allows mobility and maximizes defense. There are points where you'll switch out all your gear to fit a certain encounter type. I'm currently holding 47 humanity and 600K souls. I still don't want to level up and have nothing to spend my souls on! NG+ is 80% harder if you can believe that. I'm still lvl 20 and have no business in a NG+ zone for lvl 50+! The couple of people I've summoned to help get one hitted because they don't know they're in NG+.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:03 am

Mobility is key. Not being there when the monster swings is better than trying to block. Until you get parry/riposte and backstab down, do a lot of rolling around, trying to get around their shields and dodging attacks. You'll eventually upgrade your shield so you can stand toe to toe a bit more. There is a blacksmith in the Parrish. Find him and upgrade your gear!
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:15 am

If you find that the Knight's armor is too heavy, you can buy a whole set of chain armor from the merchant in the Undead Burg. My guy is still wearing the chain shirt. It's light and offers solid protection when you upgrade it.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:16 am

also, spending points in End allows you to carry a heavier load and increases your stamina.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:03 am

yea i've got about 7 levels to go before END is where i need it to be for a full load of gear

i would go and buy chain but... i started with better armor and i already killed that merchant after i bought the residence key. and he dropped a nice katana that apparently scales with my DEX. will use after i figure out my armor situation. i should probably just start over but.... i dunno. also ... 600k ? crazy. most i ever had was what i lost last night. i always spend my souls as soon as i can level up. haven't bought shit. also haven't sold anything but i read i get to do that after i ring the bells.... diving into it again right now.....

but then i'm going to hawaii. so no updates til the 31st. peace y'all
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:42 am

The armor isn't better if you can't move in it. Stat scaling weapons become obsolete once you get in to fire/chaos/lightning elemental weapons. If you want to be a tank type character, get your dex to 14 or 16 and leave it. Get your str to 16 to start, 24 if you want to use the zweihander but at 16 you can use the claymore which will last you most of the game once you put lightning on it.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:10 am

A good example of a boss battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_JI1dBv9Qw

The glowing white characters are people he's summoned in to his game to help.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:27 am

finally rang the first bell the other day. still haven't rang the second bell but i think i'm getting closer. i'm tryin to fight the capra demon and get into the depths

this game is pretty sweet but i just don't have the time for it. seems pretty involved. 700+ levels? after like 3 months i'm barely 24. but i guess i play literally like 3 hours a week

i do love how i actually get an adrenaline rush from fighting a new boss or new huge enemy. the shit's actually intimidating/scary during first encounters. i don't get that from many other games anymore
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:41 am

I bought a bunch of new music gear so have been avoiding video games by tinkering in the studio.

If you play through the game at a normal pace, you'll be about level 100 when you finish. The people that are 700 either cheated or have way, way, way too much time on their hands. By level 150 or so I think I was spending like 600,000 souls to gain one level.

Capra demon is a BITCH. Summon some friends to help you. He's the cheapest boss in the game. Try to run passed him and do a dodge/roll just as he swings at you. If you can make it up the stairs on the left side, you might have a chance. He'll try to follow you but fall down. You can drop on his head with a power attack and take out a large chunk of his health.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:56 am

so i got a bow and arrows and went under the bridge and shot the tail of that dragon off and got the drake sword. i'm doing stupid damage for my level and almost beat capra demon the first time i fought him. went up the stairs, dropped the dogs and kinda duked it out up there til he fell off. then i did a drop attack and he literally had 1 millimeter of life when he did some combo and pwned me. it was like a fighting game. pissed me off in a good way. the game is great, just wish i could get online and do it like that. soon come. if you're still playin or could be coerced into it when i get onto live again that'd be sweet
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:38 am

PC version coming in August. Now cheaters can shit it up even worse. Higher frame rate and resolution will be nice.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Other Worlds