Torchlight

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Torchlight

Postby Zanchief » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:23 am

Played the demo this week and it's pretty cool.

It seems a bit thin but might be worth the 15$ download. Has anyone played the full version yet?
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Re: Torchlight

Postby Tikker » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:32 pm

Haven't even heard of it

what is it
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:25 am

It's a diablo clone. A lot of the designers for Diablo started their own company and are planning an MMO. This game is pretty much a single player version of that game. It's $10 on steam right now if I'm not mistaken.

It's a cool little budget title if you like dungeon crawlers.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby vonkaar » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:34 pm

I love it... one of 10 games I'm trying to play right now =). HUGE ripoff of Diablo, but that's one of my favorite series so it's nbd.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Ginzburgh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:48 am

Yep, I love it too.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:00 am

this launched on XBLA recently. great to have a game like this on a console. makes me wanna find diablo 1 psx
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Can you play online with the Xbox version? That was one of the things that annoyed me about the PC version.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:20 pm

no, and i almost didn't buy it because of that but it's turning out to be a good single player game. doesn't make any sense to me why there isn't some kind of co-op and pvp considering diablo creator involvement etc
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:33 am

It's "meh". Multiplayer would have made it fun. Looking forward to Dungeon Siege III.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:45 pm

i'm scared about dungeon siege 3. fuckin Squenix and Obsidian at the helm...
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm just hoping it's at least somewhat as fun as the original. I had a blast with that game. Crank up the difficulty on it and it was a great dungeon crawl disguised as a clicky loot fest.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:20 pm

they're so good. i still play DS2 :(
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Tossica wrote:I'm just hoping it's at least somewhat as fun as the original. I had a blast with that game. Crank up the difficulty on it and it was a great dungeon crawl disguised as a clicky loot fest.

The beauty of DS was in it's co-op too. I played so many games with 2 or 3 friends. I loved that.

At it's core DS like Torchlight is just a Diablo clone, though. I bought Torchlight when it was a few bucks on Steam, and have to admit I wasn't really impressed. The graphics weren't great, the interface was simple, and, and the graphics and movement sucked. I'm more of a Bioware/Black Isle fan than a Diablo one, though.

Just..meh.

I need to read up on the next Elder Scrolls game. I'm surprised they haven't went the MMO route.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:00 pm

they did, and you'll find that otu when you read up on them

they have another division doing MMOs. bethesda will always make single player games according to them

i'm not a fan of bioware. baldur's gate 1 and 2 were some of my favorite games ever made. but like... KOTOR? jade empire? dragon age? can't even play those. they're just so effing boring. like reading a book/playing a movie, same game every time you play it

the thing that always sold me on diablo and all of its clones is randomly generated levels and the obscene amounts of loot. nothing tops that for me
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:30 am

Ever play Dwarf Fortress? I still have that on my Linux box.

I really liked KOTOR & Dragon Age, so I guess a lot of it is personal taste. Dragon Age 2, not so much as it was consolized IMHO.

I loved the atmosphere of Diablo more than anything, but the game itself was repetitive and rote to me after a while.

Oblivion remains on my desktop and I still fire it up occasionally via free downloadable content.

I love the social aspect and raids of MMOs, but it irks me that single player games have 100 times the depth and added dynamic content. MMOs now are all standardized with set classes, loots, min/max idiots, and the same design. I despise dailies. I hate faction grinding. I want fresh group combat, and changing scenery. Those only come every expansion pack, and often times are cat n pasted zones and quests with a new faction name and tier of equipment.

I loved the concept of Neverwinter Nights and the ability to create content and host a mini server. I just think the graphics and limits of the AD&D ruleset hampered it from being great.

Someone needs to take the EMU server idea and package and sell something with the scripting tools built in so that someone creative like Tossica can make a server for a small group that changes and has content and story, and with classes built for fun and not balanced for massive PVP or to ensure the DPS is equitable across the board.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Lyion wrote:
Someone needs to take the EMU server idea and package and sell something with the scripting tools built in so that someone creative like Tossica can make a server for a small group that changes and has content and story, and with classes built for fun and not balanced for massive PVP or to ensure the DPS is equitable across the board.

you would have liked the UO emulators then

there's still some shit from UO that no one else has ever gotten close to getting right

player housing and tradeskills

fucking boats

did I mention you can have a castle with 3 floors?

as dated looking as it is, and the mechanics are pretty goofy, it can be a hilariously awesome game
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Lyion wrote:Ever play Dwarf Fortress? I still have that on my Linux box.

I really liked KOTOR & Dragon Age, so I guess a lot of it is personal taste. Dragon Age 2, not so much as it was consolized IMHO.

I loved the atmosphere of Diablo more than anything, but the game itself was repetitive and rote to me after a while.

Oblivion remains on my desktop and I still fire it up occasionally via free downloadable content.

I love the social aspect and raids of MMOs, but it irks me that single player games have 100 times the depth and added dynamic content. MMOs now are all standardized with set classes, loots, min/max idiots, and the same design. I despise dailies. I hate faction grinding. I want fresh group combat, and changing scenery. Those only come every expansion pack, and often times are cat n pasted zones and quests with a new faction name and tier of equipment.

I loved the concept of Neverwinter Nights and the ability to create content and host a mini server. I just think the graphics and limits of the AD&D ruleset hampered it from being great.

dwarf fortress is amazing

oblivion i'm finally playing but i'm on a 360 so no mods /cry

it's a lot bigger than i first thought and there's quite a bit to do but i feel like combat is still mostly boring and there's only one freakin landscape: trees. or trees with snow

and they took levitate out, which was a requirement in morrowind. that sucks
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:54 pm

I loved Ultima in my pre EQ days. I'm not sure I have the patience to check out an Ultima emu server, though. I have been playing some Minecraft, though, which is pretty slick. Oi Vey is it ugly, though, and blocky.

Oblivion combat does leave a lot to be desired, but it was decent back in 2004. I'm really not a huge fan of ISO games, even though I'll play them.

I'm actually holding out hope SW:TOR is decent and has an old school Black Isle feel to it. I really, really, really hope it isn't as big a WOW clone as I'm afraid it'll be.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Return to Other Worlds