Final Fantasy 13

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Final Fantasy 13

Postby Jay » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 am

Careful guys. If you find out that Drem's racist he'll only project that onto us which will make us all racist. It's like a constant, multi target or aoe "I'm rubber, you're glue" psychological thing he has goin.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:17 am

wow you guys are really on a reality-bending roll. you're like a bunch of little kids with nothing better to do
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Dylan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:33 am

ff13 sucks
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Drem wrote:wow you guys are really on a reality-bending roll. you're like a bunch of little kids with nothing better to do

yes, we're all sharing a mass hallucination in which you are a petty bitch who constantly changes his stance and attacks with blind snobby AOL rage anyone who dares to disagree

also, yes, we all spend huge chunks of our time colluding over PM as to how best to point out this fact

wait no. get over yourself sir
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Ginzburgh » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm on chapter 3. Story seems meh, the script is pretty corny and very Japanese but they all are like that. It just seems more corny considering the audio and visuals are so great, it's like looking at an actor in HD and noticing physical flaws that you wouldn't have seen before.

Combat system seems cool but I wouldn't know considering I only have two abilities (single attack and AoE attack) and I have just been choosing the auto attack function, which chooses the best ability to use (e.g. if a bunch of mobs are bunched up it will select the AoE ability). So I have just been mashing the attack button and occasionally potting.

Definitely linear. Zero space for exploration at this point. The dork at gamestop said the world doesnt open up until chapter 10 (of 13) and there are very few side quests, so I imagine there is zero replay factor.

It's probably the best looking game I have ever played though. The fighting to cut scenes are seamless, which is probably why people think it's so awesome. It's alot like Heavy Rain right now though, it seems like a movie game.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:05 pm

brinstar wrote:
Drem wrote:wow you guys are really on a reality-bending roll. you're like a bunch of little kids with nothing better to do

yes, we're all sharing a mass hallucination in which you are a petty bitch who constantly changes his stance and attacks with blind snobby AOL rage anyone who dares to disagree

also, yes, we all spend huge chunks of our time colluding over PM as to how best to point out this fact

wait no. get over yourself sir

bitch please. no one cares. and the four of you tards =/= everyone, so stop oozing pretention and STFU. ff6 is linear as shit followed by a multiple choice section. you're the only douche in my entire life who has tried to argue that ff6 is somehow, in the magical land of pretend, a bigger or more nonlinear game than ff7. you're just wrong, end of story. if the truth is pretentious then so am I, otherwise you can suck it
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:43 am

brinstar wrote:you are a petty bitch

Drem wrote:bitch please. no one cares. and the four of you tards =/= everyone, so stop oozing pretention and STFU. ff6 is linear as shit followed by a multiple choice section. you're the only douche in my entire life who has tried to argue that ff6 is somehow, in the magical land of pretend, a bigger or more nonlinear game than ff7. you're just wrong, end of story. if the truth is pretentious then so am I, otherwise you can suck it

QED

PS i never said it was bigger, dumbass
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tikker » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 pm

I am not sure you know what pretentious means

Here's a hint

it's everything you say
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:09 pm

The most graphically impressive game I've ever seen. So far in 5 hours of play I've yet to go into a town or do anything other than walk down large corridors with the occasional directional offshoots that very obviously contain treasure orbs. The minimap basically makes it impossible to get lost. There's also not a puzzle or anything that really requires brainwork. Fight system and character leveling system is awesome. Story is decent and very detailed. About half of the main characters are cool and believable. The rest are lame and almost cartoonish.

I'm trying really hard to like this but honestly this is looking like the worst Final Fantasy of the bunch, that is, if the game keeps going the way its going.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby KaiineTN » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:28 pm

I'm at the end of the game, haven't beaten the final boss yet though. I think it's a solid game, but doesn't feel very "Final Fantasy" to me. Needs more Moogles and Chocobos.

And omfg, they added lyrics to the chocobo themsong...
KaiineTN
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:45 am

Jay wrote:The most graphically impressive game I've ever seen. So far in 5 hours of play I've yet to go into a town or do anything other than walk down large corridors with the occasional directional offshoots that very obviously contain treasure orbs. The minimap basically makes it impossible to get lost. There's also not a puzzle or anything that really requires brainwork. Fight system and character leveling system is awesome. Story is decent and very detailed. About half of the main characters are cool and believable. The rest are lame and almost cartoonish.

I'm trying really hard to like this but honestly this is looking like the worst Final Fantasy of the bunch, that is, if the game keeps going the way its going.

okay, so based on your initial reaction...

level design: F
character design: C
game mechanics: A
writing: B+

is that about right?

also i wonder about length of game if flink is already at the end five days after release (of course it's not like he has a job, so maybe that explains it)
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Ginzburgh » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:11 pm

i'm like 8 hours into it and im on chapter 6 of 13. I'm sure the chapters get longer toward the end of the game, not really sure what % of the game I have completed. I'd give the writing a C Brin but your grades above are otherwise pretty accurate.

I'm definitely selling it the second I beat it. I'll never play it again.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:47 pm

Ginzburgh wrote:I'm definitely selling it the second I beat it. I'll never play it again.

That says something about how far the quality of this series has fallen.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Jay » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:08 am

Ginzburgh wrote:i'm like 8 hours into it and im on chapter 6 of 13. I'm sure the chapters get longer toward the end of the game, not really sure what % of the game I have completed. I'd give the writing a C Brin but your grades above are otherwise pretty accurate.

I'm definitely selling it the second I beat it. I'll never play it again.

Agree with Ginz. Writing is ok enough to make me want to beat the game to find out what happens although you won't hear me mentioning the story of FF13 ever. I'll probably forget most of the details of the game itself a week or so after i finally beat it. Upside? It'll be worth some credit towards God of War 3.

Also, I wanna add that yeah, the series has taken a nosedive from greatness. When Final Fantasy 15 is ready to be released, I will think about it before I purchase it, which is a first for me in regards to the non online numbered Final Fantasies. I'm really disappointed in this game and just disappointed in general that all the greatness that 4, 6 and 7 brought forth to RPG's is forever gone.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gaazy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:30 am

I bought this game last weekend. What a mistake. Im getting so tired of run, video, run, video, mash autoattack, video, video, video, run, video and all the whole listening to that fucking cunt Vanilla giggle and moan in the background. Fucking Japs are so weird

No World, No Explore, No Story, No Game
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Foutty » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:43 pm

Buy Resonance of Fate instead.
Foutty
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Zanchief » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm sad that I missed this epic thread.

For the record I cast my vote in the FF6 camp. 7 was unbearable, but I didn't play through it all (how could you). 6 has a very linear storyline for the first half, although there are a few decisions you can make that will impact the rest of the game. The second half is completely open ended though, with a number of characters that are hidden throughout the rest of the game.

I don't know how linear 7 is or not but I do know there is zero character customization and every character plays almost identical to the others with the exception of limit attacks (which are lame). I know my brother raised hundred of chocobo's though so there was clearly a treadmill in there for some to enjoy, but if that's your thing just head on over to the velt and try and max Gau's Rages. Fun, fun, fun.

Final Fantasy 6 I rank amongst the best RPGs ever. 7 I don't think about ever.

Also, Drems meltdowns are priceless.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Previous

Return to Other Worlds