Final Fantasy 13

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Final Fantasy 13

Postby Tikker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:42 pm

For me ff7 was pure magic. I have never been sucked into a story like that before or since.

I needed to know about materia. I needed to know about soldier and cloud and clones and how cloud was tied to sephiroth.

I have never been the type who needed to 100% a game and I actually beat ff7 without finding Vincent.

I still prefer 4 to 7 and both to 6. But it's hard to argue with anyone loving any of those 3.

The ds version of 4 is beyond awesome. It's Japanese hard
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:44 pm

The remake of 4 we got is fucking awesome. I love it.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:47 pm

Tikker wrote:
The ds version of 4 is beyond awesome. It's Japanese hard

Tikker can attest to how many times I played FF4 when it first came out. I know the game inside out, but holy fuck did the DS remake ever destroy me time and time again.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Drem » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:27 pm

you talkin about the first remake on gba or the 3d remake of 4? I loved those. the ff1 remake is awesome too so far.

and yea I have gotten the airship. I've done the few nonlinear things you can do in 6 like getting mog and that yeti dude and shadow etc. And I do love the Veldt and the phantom train part and the story arcs for the returners but it just doesn't have even a fraction of the timesinks that ff7 does. I know you will forever hate it, alex, just because everyone likes it so much ( like you and apple!) but you just can't convince me on 6 :p it's not nearly as deep as 7. it also probably didn't have content that was only available on certain discs! but whatever, I used to be 4/6 fanboi til I gave 7 and FFT a fair chance. now I think those two easily compare with or surpass the older games

also has anyone played ff 2, 3, or 5? I can get 2 on iPod, I think 3 is released on ds like 4, and 5 is in the anthology on ps1. are they worth it? any opinions? I have 5 in front of me but I'm hooked on the remake of the first
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:30 pm

Harrison wrote:
Drem wrote:also what does the black album comparison mean? I've never listened to jay z beyond reasonable doubt

*sigh*

Metallica...

bleh, even worse than jay z

i still don't get the reference. I've never owned albums or listened to or otherwise gave a shit about fagphallica. I'm assuming it has something to do with selling out
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Drem wrote:you talkin about the first remake on gba or the 3d remake of 4? I loved those. the ff1 remake is awesome too so far.

and yea I have gotten the airship. I've done the few nonlinear things you can do in 6 like getting mog and that yeti dude and shadow etc. And I do love the Veldt and the phantom train part and the story arcs for the returners but it just doesn't have even a fraction of the timesinks that ff7 does. I know you will forever hate it, alex, just because everyone likes it so much ( like you and apple!) but you just can't convince me on 6 :p it's not nearly as deep as 7. it also probably didn't have content that was only available on certain discs! but whatever, I used to be 4/6 fanboi til I gave 7 and FFT a fair chance. now I think those two easily compare with or surpass the older games

also has anyone played ff 2, 3, or 5? I can get 2 on iPod, I think 3 is released on ds like 4, and 5 is in the anthology on ps1. are they worth it? any opinions? I have 5 in front of me but I'm hooked on the remake of the first

josh and i have both tried playing 3 on ds and it is just not any fun imo. maybe i'm just confused by the classes or occupations or whatever but it's not very well-explained in-game and i just couldn't get into it.

didn't you say you've never finished 6? because i'm pretty sure that automatically disqualifies you from calling yourself a former 6 fanboi, lol.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Drem » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:26 pm

so what? i never beat any zelda games except ocarina and the adventure of link, either. doesn't mean i didn't play 89% of them or more

i'd always lose interest when you're doing random stuff like going into that phantom opera thing w/ cyan. then i'd not play for a couple months and when you came back you have no way of knowing wtf you were doing before or where you're at in the game. after doing that four or five times and restarting over and over and over i just laid it to rest.

4 i beat because it was god damn nearly impossible to make it from the last save to the boss and then proceed to actually win. my mom could never do it so i worked at it til i beat it. FF1 i beat when i was little because me and my buddy would play it religiously over and over and over after our chores trying to do speed runs with four fighters and a healing wand because that game was siiiiiiiick

i rarely finish books or games

in the last like... six years the only games i've played from start to finish are.... morrowind, ff7, ff tactics, some ps2 games like genji and onimusha, jurassic park for SNES (FINALLY!!!!!) and crysis. and i've read 0 books unless they were required by a class

i'm more of an endless timesink kinda guy. i read wikipedia and play EQ :(
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:59 pm

Morrowind was such a good game. Way better than Oblivion in so many ways.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Drem » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:15 pm

yea and it must've taken me over two or three years combined to do everything that game had to offer. i had some huge bible of a guide book that kinda opened my eyes to how much stuff that game had packed into it. i kinda want to play it again after fallout 3's done. also i think fallout 3 is just as fun and deep as morrowind. they really crammed that game full of shit if you have the DLCs and i'm still finding new things every day i play. i must've put hundreds of hours into it over the last year and a half or w/e. the only things i want are: more levels, vehicles or a speed stat like morrowind. but if you're a treasure hunter that game is like almost as fun as playing morrowind or everquest during velious to me. there is so much cool shit
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:16 pm

The point you keep missing is that people are questioning your opinion when you haven't finished or even attempted some the games you're bashing
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:18 pm

Black album reference

They mean it was game that went from being fanboi only to huge huge mass appeal and changed the direction of the series to cater to mainstream ignoring old school fans
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:17 pm

i'm not missing any points. i understand exactly what you're trying to say. and i don't really feel like i have to beat the game to get the gist after playing it for like 10 or 15 years. if it doesn't make me want to beat it then why would i? sorry i don't like ff6 the most /shrug. i've been playing it since it was released on my SNES and i still own it. but i've never beat it. and i might never will. because other FF games are a lot better imo

and i'm not sure what game you're referring to that i'm bashing that i've never attempted? if you think i'm bashing tactics ogre then you are incorrect. i just make fun of you for calling it a clone, like it wasn't made by the same guy....
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:50 pm

Looks like Drem equipped his master level Pretentious materia
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:12 pm

you guys are such a dumb clique sometimes. sorry i don't like ff6 as much as you do
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Jay wrote:Looks like Drem equipped his master level Pretentious materia

I lol'd

Not because I agree or disagree but, because that was an awesome visual.

Drem stands up, puts a red crystal to his wristband and watches it slowly dissolve into it with a glow.

Slowly but surely his nose points upwards and his eyes squint as he begins to speak slowly about Final Fantasy 3.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:29 pm

whatever, y'all just remind me of how i used to sound before i gave ff7 a fair chance and actually played the living shit out of it and did everything. i could care less if you're hating on me for having a change of heart :p
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:07 pm

Its not like I didn't give ff7 a chance. I wrecked the fuck out of that game. I'm just disputing your argument that 6 is linear compared to 7 when you never got anywhere near beating it. 6's end game options span the entire second half of the game whereas 7's options I can count on 1 hand. 7 is a marvelous game, and the argument that its better than 6 is a valid one, but not because of linearity or the lack thereof.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:24 pm

oh i never got anywhere near beating it? how would you know? how is it not linear? it's like a multiple choice quiz. the only nonlinear anything about it is reuniting the group after kefka poisons everything. it's far more linear than FF7. in a lot of ways

ff6 is cool, and must-own status, i dunno why you retards think i'm dissing it. i just think it's inferior to ff7 in most ways. it appeals to me less. but i like both games. end of story
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:48 pm

100%'ing FF6 my first time took me about 55 hours.

100%'ing FF7 my first time took me about 30 hours of gameplay... the snowboarding minigame took most of that.

As was said before, FF6's 2nd half is non-linear. Without knowing better, you will miss 75% of the second half simply because it is not required and not a big boss you have to beat someplace.

When I say 30 hours of gameplay w/ FF7, I am not counting horrendous load times, awful CG, and obnoxious disc switches... so it may have looked like 45 hours played.

I've gone back and 100%'d FF6 about 6 times since it was released on the SNES. I tried with FF7 to go back after 100%'ing it and I found myself just not wanting to.

It is a matter of opinion which is the better of the two, however for sheer gameplay content FF6 wins hands down. Add in the new secret dungeon they added w/ the GBA remake and you've got a superwinner.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Jay » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:18 pm

Drem wrote:oh i never got anywhere near beating it? how would you know?

Drem wrote:if we're strictly talking about storyline then I vote 4 or 1. I never beat or even got close to beating 6. I was a chrono trigger/secret of mana boy except for ff 1 and 4 which I played religiously

I love how you get so defensive and riled up when people don't agree with you. It's fun...like FF6.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:52 am

err, I'm riled up? why are you so full of shit? all I'm doing is backing up my opinions

because apparently it's the end of the world if I disagree with you and everything I've ever known about a game I've owned since I was a child is now obsolete because according to three people it's "bigger and more nonlinear" than a game that got moved from snes to 64 to the ps1 because nintendo's cartridges weren't big enough to contain its dopeness. it's ok, you can justify a totally inferior product all day long. sales, critics, magazines, and most of the rest of the world all agree ff7 is the BEST GAME EVER MADE. transcending categories it's so fuckin sick!!!!!! (dunno if i'd call it that myself tho)

I just can't believe you guys are living in some sad world where you think ff6 has more to offer in any way than 7 does. tsk tsk!

flame on pussies!
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:45 am

So, from what I've read in this thread, you basically played FF6 for 10 minutes, decided it was linear and jumped onto the FF7 bandwagon because everyone else thinks it's cool? OK!

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:01 am

It's not that you didn't finish ff6. It's more that you didn't finish anything
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:10 pm

why am i suddenly reminded of flink's opinions on hard work

oh and for the record, i don't hate 7 because everyone else likes it, i hate it because i felt it was a sub-par game that sacrificed writing and characterization in exchange for pretty graphics, and the Big Dumb Public was too googly-eyed to notice and/or care about the nosedive in actual content, but you probably won't be willing/able to see the difference until your ELITISM LIMIT BREAK wears off. honestly there's no point in me even trying to explain my position to you-- when the fundamental bases of your opinion contain such sturdy arguments as "FF6 is way more linear than FF7 even though i never got close to finishing it, therefore FF7 is a better game" or "hello, FF7 is fuckin sick because it sold way more copies, tsk tsk" i suppose i shouldn't have bothered in the first place. hootie hoo, glad you can justify being a tool!
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Tikker wrote:It's not that you didn't finish ff6. It's more that you didn't finish anything

oh I didn't ? what's the relevance? besidese not wasting time in fantasy worlds? and what are you even saying this for?

the thing you idiots can't seem to grasp is that saying "I didn't beat it" in this case and zeldas, means I got to the last boss and started playing another game

coupled with how I've repeatedly said ff6 is fine it's just weaker than 7,
and threw In an unfortunately exaggerated comment to emphasize its inferiority that now apparently means I've only played it for ten minutes (jay you are so cool), I don't understand why that's so hard for you jackasses to understand. I know ff6 inside and outnup to a certain point. nyou can probably trace my nt history and find me ripping ff7 for all the lame reasons you guys are now

but then I actually played 7. which if people are saying the snowboarding minigame was the longest thing, really makes me wonder if we play games for the same reasons at all

and yes, I do like 7 more because of its freedom and options like breeding chocs and materia leveling. that's what it comes down to for me and I'm done arguing with you twats about it. and yes I have played ff6 that far. I know it becomes open in some ways. it's not the same. and all your petty namecalling and witty remarks won't convince me to like it again LIKE I USED TO

thx bye thread
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

PreviousNext

Return to Other Worlds