think harrison was going to
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Re: New Vegas

Postby Jay » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:30 am

I'll be dick riding this game for sure.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:51 am

Picked it up on Steam. It feels more like a true Fallout game than Fo3 did. Enemies are strong and I've had to run from more fights in the first hour of this than all the times I as forced to run in FO3
(hardcore mode).

Traits are back, perks every 2 lvls instead of every level, so you actually have to specialize your character. I've seen complaints of bugs and crashes, but I've had zero problems so far.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Jay » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Anyone who gets this needs to play on hardcore mode. It's a must. Sooooooo fun!
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:12 pm

I was planning on maxing the difficulty and playing on Harcode mode. Fallout 3 as awesome as it was, was way too easy.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:51 pm

People are fairly easy to fight and kill so far, but its the mutated animals that seem to be the real threat. Packs of giant rad scorps that are heavily armoured, Deathclaws, even ran into a Super Mutant Master (only lvl 8). The new (old) mechanics for damage threshold really make a difference in what you can fight and how difficult it is to kill something.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Drem » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:47 pm

fallout 3 was plenty hard if you wanted it to be. the way i chose to play was keeping my used stimpak stat at 0 and playing on very hard. and i rarely remember to use VATS. it's hard that way. trust me.

really makes you respect lead belly and the food sanitizer and the water towers and puddles of water and fountains and basically made the whole experience a lot more immersive than just poppin stimpaks and VATSin my way to victory

i plan on doing the same in new vegas
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:54 pm

this game is awesome.... weapon improvements over the first game and true iron sights might make me never go back to F3 hehe

and jay you're right, hardcore mode is amazing

but books really give 10 skill points? i already found two of a couple of them. seems like you'll max your char real quick
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:17 pm

Those are skill magazines, that give +10, and they only last for a certain duration (20sec or less I think) and there are only 4 skill books per skill that give permanent upgrades.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Drem » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:28 pm

oh thank god. i didn't read one yet because i figured there's something like the educated perk that doubles book rewards

i'm lovin this game so far. feels more like i wished fallout 3 would've: alive

feels like fallout 3 was an homage to fallout 1 & 2, but darker (not in a comedic way) and completely re-thought

then the creators of fallout showed up and beat up the bethesda dudes and made it the way i thought fallout 3 should've been

ie: not very many changes, but all the changes they made were exactly what i wanted. follower wheel, iron sights, weapon customization, hardcore mode, and i haven't heard the same voice actor twice yet!!

obsidian didn't drop the ball at all
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:33 am

I'll pick this one up once I'm done with Halo Reach. I have such little time to play games these days.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jay » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Is it just me or are you all constantly out if ammo too. I can't tell you how many times I've had to desperation punch things to death.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:10 pm

Jay wrote:Is it just me or are you all constantly out if ammo too. I can't tell you how many times I've had to desperation punch things to death.

it's not a postapocalyptic FPS if you're not constantly scrounging for ammo.

see also: STALKER games
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:59 pm

i have a lot more ammo in this game than i did in fallout 3. especially considering the ammo crafting abilities they introduced to help you recycle bullet casings and such

you just have to balance your melee and your ranged combat. if you wanna shoot at everything you come across then yes you'll be out of ammo. real quick
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:11 pm

I have tonnes of 9mm ammo, but not a whole lot of anything else. Makes it hard to use Lucky, my .357 unique gun. I'm also really starting to understand just how important armour piecing ammo is; frigging Giant Rad Scorps suck if you don't have any.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Drem » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:48 pm

yea i'm not very high level but on very hard a giant radscorp killed me in one hit.... i feel like the mobs in fallout 3 just scaled to your level like they did in shitty oblivion. in this game they seem to just get progressively nastier the further away from goodsprings you go
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:00 pm

Encounters scaled to your lvl but individual mobs didn't. Certain spots had static mods, and certain spots had random encounters. The types of enemies in the random encounters would be based on lvl but a Super Mutant Master always had the same hitpoints.

Yes this game is a lot harder on Very Hard. Enemies will just kill me in a few shots and I have to constantly heal up with food and what not. Hardcore mode is nice for a bit of flavor but so far the only real hinderence is the fact that ammo has weight. Food and water sources are pretty plentiful.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Ya that makes sense. Super mutant overlords were ridiculous. And ghoul reavers. Couldn't even do exploding pants on 90% of em

I'm at work and not recalling their right names but in new vegas the huge bugs with orange wings swarm rape me

And I kinda like ammo weight. I pulled 3 crates between the two benches in goodsprings and have got a nice stash setup going.

Anybody got any property ownership or followers yet?
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:20 pm

No property unless you count
Spoiler for :
House giving me the Presidential suite at Lucky 38.

As for followers I have 2.
Spoiler for :
Boone the sniper from Novac and Rex the robot dog that belongs to the leader of the Kings.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Jay wrote:
Spoiler for :
Rex the robot dog

made me think immediately of this
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm running with Boone and ED-E at the moment.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Jay » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:01 pm

Boone is bad fucking ass

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:01 pm

Is anyone else just a little a shocked at how blood thirsty, brutal and violent the Legion is?

Spoiler for :
Sure its a video game, but heads impaled on spikes, people crucified, NCR troops with limbs cut off and left for dead, strapped with explosives set to go off when anyone comes near.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:03 pm

Jay wrote:No property unless you count
Spoiler for :
House giving me the Presidential suite at Lucky 38.

As for followers I have 2.
Spoiler for :
Boone the sniper from Novac and Rex the robot dog that belongs to the leader of the Kings.

I have the hotel room in Novac. Just finished transferring all my supplies there from Goodspring.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Next

Return to Other Worlds