Playstation 3 owners beware. PSN compromised.

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Playstation 3 owners beware. PSN compromised.

Postby Tossica » Tue May 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Tikker wrote:
Tossica wrote:What a shame that most people don't value having something physical these days. At least records are making a resurgence.

I never understood this argument

The music/video is what's important not the chunk of plastic it's embedded on

It's not that difficult, really. Your digital files are worthless. My record collecton is insured for $75k. Make sense yet?
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Wed May 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Tikker wrote:
Tossica wrote:What a shame that most people don't value having something physical these days. At least records are making a resurgence.

I never understood this argument

The music/video is what's important not the chunk of plastic it's embedded on

tossica's right about the physical value of the collection but also records just plain sound better. digital can't reproduce analogue sound. records are just the way to go when you're listening loud or DJing a show. not to mention having and using a good record player is a lot more fun than some gay iPod

you also get a big huge piece of artwork to hang and sometimes you get free posters and shit. how are mp3s and a harddrive better in any way besides convenience?
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Wed May 04, 2011 8:51 pm

They don't skip.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Drem » Wed May 04, 2011 9:19 pm

i've downloaded plenty of shitty rips that had pops and digital weirdness

records all day!
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Thu May 05, 2011 5:02 am

While it is true that given ideal circumstances, records can sound better than any digital system, getting that level of sound quality requires a VERY expensive music system. You need a really good turn table with a really good stylus, along with high quality throughout the other components, including (preferably) a tube amp, if you want to keep everything analog.

Meanwhile, a 2-300 dollar digital system will sound pretty damn good to most listeners.

It is also absolutely true that no digital recording will ever capture completely an analog recording. The following image explains why:

The curving wave is the analog signal, the rectangles the digital sampling of the original analog signal. Obviously, there are gaps where they don't match up. This is why higher sampling rates on digital tracks are far superior, as the higher the rate, the narrower those rectangles are, and the better the approximation. (and the bigger the file is, too). With a sufficiently high sampling rate, even though the track isn't an exact duplicate of the analog original, you will find it very hard to hear any difference between the two unless, as I said, the pure analog one is played on a sufficiently high-end system.

Anyway, it's also true that the last bastions of LPs are audiophiles and DJs. I know a lot of local DJs, though, since I was fairly plugged into the local rave scene for a lot of years, and there's actually been a growing movement even there to go digital. Not universal, by any means, but it's a lot more common than it was 10 years ago, that's for sure.

Now, serious audiophiles, them can be some nutty people. You can easily drop, I shit you not, $100k on a turntable, if you're that serious. Hell, if you want, you can drop $650k. Same thing with speakers. There's tons of speaker lines that run over 100k. Now, I'm not saying you'll need to spend THAT much to get analog to sound better, just illustrating the lengths some people will go for audio quality...

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby 10sun » Thu May 05, 2011 6:42 am

Now... I'm not saying it can't be done, but try listening to a record while riding a bike, walking, driving your car, etc.

I've seen plenty of records & CDs that are scratched. What was your point?
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tikker » Thu May 05, 2011 11:21 am

Their point is that they'd rather overspend on a piece of plastic
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Thu May 05, 2011 4:58 pm

10sun wrote:Now... I'm not saying it can't be done, but try listening to a record while riding a bike, walking, driving your car, etc.

I've seen plenty of records & CDs that are scratched. What was your point?

wtf are you even talking about? this conversation obviously only has anything to do with DJing and listening in your house

and records are better in every way

the end
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Thu May 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Tikker wrote:Their point is that they'd rather overspend on a piece of plastic

pls demonstrate how mp3 is consistently cheaper than CD (sans piracy)

yeah i know amazon has daily deals or whatever, but you can also score a used copy of a CD you're after for just a few bucks so that's moot imo

and as far as sound quality goes, CDs may not stack up against wax but they easily pwn mp3 allllll daaaaaaaay loooooooong
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Thu May 05, 2011 6:01 pm

ya mp3 is trash. FLAC is the way to go if you gotta go digital

and yeah, most records i bought were <$4 unless it was actually a new press so saying i'm overspending is pretty retarded
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Thu May 05, 2011 7:58 pm

plus as i mentioned before if you buy a CD you can put it in ANY FORMAT YOU WANT AND AT ANY QUALITY omgggg

flac, mp3, wma, aac+, whatever gay macs use
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Thu May 05, 2011 8:51 pm

m4a but itunes will rip into any format besides FLAC (gay), which it can't even read to begin with (gayer)
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Thu May 05, 2011 10:18 pm

my point is more that i'd rather have everything accessible to me at all times, no matter where I am

everything all digital is a huge lifestyle bonus for me

this whole cloud thing that people are now talking about, some of us have been living it for years. it's about time others catch on, and buy into it
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Fri May 06, 2011 12:11 am

Fuck the cloud. Music is an interactve experience for me and I'll keep it that way.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Fri May 06, 2011 7:01 pm

i see both sides

when i get a new CD i immediately rip it so i can listen to it on my desktop and on my phone and on my laptop - and then i put the CD in my car stereo (which is the only place i have control over where i can crank it up loud enough to feel)

once the madness wears off, i delete it from my phone and laptop and stow the CD, but the ripped version is always just a few clicks away
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Fri May 06, 2011 7:33 pm

brinstar wrote:i see both sides

when i get a new CD i immediately rip it so i can listen to it on my desktop and on my phone and on my laptop - and then i put the CD in my car stereo (which is the only place i have control over where i can crank it up loud enough to feel)

once the madness wears off, i delete it from my phone and laptop and stow the CD, but the ripped version is always just a few clicks away

crazy. i only listen to music a couple times a day: once at work because they make us and maybe again at night before bed. in between that i'm always somewhere else, listening to what someone else thinks is "good"

i don't think i've listened to an entire album start to finish (not counting EPs) in at least 4 years. i can't even make it thru them crooked vultures. gotta skip 9 and 13. those songs blow
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Fri May 06, 2011 7:37 pm

then the other day i tried to buy a CD for the first time in maybe ten years because i had just got my car back from the shop and had my CDs out of it. so i was at best buy asking about my phone and decided to pop over to the CD section

man i almost couldn't find one single thing i wanted. settled on 'ready to die' because they didn't even have anything like gang starr in "hip hop". the guy asks me if i'm having trouble finding anything and for the first time in my life i'm all "yeah, actually.... where's all the hip hop in the hip hop section? don't see any...." all they had in the entire box store was a lone copy of an old NWA album and some biggie.... it was just like.... wow

mainstream music selection is BAD these days

i feel sorry for the kids
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Sat May 07, 2011 7:21 am

CD's are dying.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Previous

Return to Other Worlds