Playstation 3 owners beware. PSN compromised.

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Playstation 3 owners beware. PSN compromised.

Postby Zanchief » Mon May 02, 2011 12:32 pm

The problem is Sony is pretty inept at most things. They keep screwing up no-brainer decision like the price point for movies on PSN. Distribution of PSP games. Play Station Home? I actually think MS has much better innovators on their side, but they're just greedier. Not including a built in HD-Movie player was just a way to lower the price of their console. Having the user pay for gold accounts, having that shitty XBL monopoly money. All the things that annoy me about XBox are greedy moves, the things that annoy me about Sony are boneheaded decisions.

The Wii2? Um no, the console war is a two man race right now. Nintendo is dead to me. Hopefully the new PSP will start to dent the DS market (unlikely) so we can finally get quality handheld games.

Pick your poison. I hate something about all of them.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Zanchief wrote:The problem is Sony is pretty inept at most things. They keep screwing up no-brainer decision like the price point for movies on PSN. Distribution of PSP games. Play Station Home? I actually think MS has much better innovators on their side, but they're just greedier. Not including a built in HD-Movie player was just a way to lower the price of their console. Having the user pay for gold accounts, having that shitty XBL monopoly money. All the things that annoy me about XBox are greedy moves, the things that annoy me about Sony are boneheaded decisions.

The big comedy here is if the RROD weren't so prevalent, MS would own the console market. The design of the 360 with it's heat problems would have bankrupted any other company without billions sitting in the bank.

Zanchief wrote:The Wii2? Um no, the console war is a two man race right now. Nintendo is dead to me. Hopefully the new PSP will start to dent the DS market (unlikely) so we can finally get quality handheld games.

Pick your poison. I hate something about all of them.

Nintendo may be dead for you, but they have a good chunk of the console market share. Their new console will be more powerful than the 360 and PS3 and probably be backwards compatible. It will probably also have something innovative, as well.

I definitely have issues with all three, but I think each console has an area where it shines. The 360 as an extender is *amazing*. XBL is neat, if an added expense. I play Blu-rays, stream, game, and use some media functions on my PS3. I still fire up games with my kids on my Wii. It's just fun and great for non gamer types.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Lyion wrote:Nintendo may be dead for you, but they have a good chunk of the console market share. Their new console will be more powerful than the 360 and PS3 and probably be backwards compatible. It will probably also have something innovative, as well.

I'm not oblivious to the market penetration, I just don't really care (I don’t own stocks in Nintendo). The things they're doing with the Wii2 are things they should have been doing with the Wii1. HD, proper online play. They aren't moving ahead of the pack, they're catching up. I was excited for the supposed innovation of the Wiimote, but it was a complete failure. The move and Kinect are equally useless, but they can at least provide useless games in HD on relevant consoles.

Maybe when my kids are a bit older and they get into gaming I'll be more enamored with their stuff. I tend to develop a fondness for the things my son enjoys by proxy (at least it works for him I say). Right now I only have money as a confirmation of the success of Nintendo. Aside from a few stray fanboys online, I don't know of anyone too excited about them anymore.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Mon May 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Zanchief wrote:It's still an extra step with seems like a waste when I already have something that will work better. Streaming directly from my computer isn't beneficial since neither my PS3 nor XBox are wired to my PC and streaming through a wireless network will defenitately lag.

no it won't. I keep hearing that dumb shit from people, and it's just not true
properly setup networks won't have that issue, but most people don't have a clue how to network. they buy the $50 box from bestbuy, turn it on, and assume that's all there is to it

Zanchief wrote:
Well I don't claim to be an expert with all this stuff

but you still keep spouting off incorrect shit

Zanchief wrote:but how can you play something on your XBox directly from an ISO? You must have a hacked XBox to launch image files as if they were real discs? Either way it's all too much trouble for since, as mentioned above, the PS# does all this by default.

transcoding. You have to connect the xbox or ps3 to a pc (networked, doesn't matter wired or wireless) and your pc ON THE FLY changes it into a format the xbox/ps3/ipod/whatever understands. process to set it up takes less than 2 minutes (depending on how fast your internet connection to download tversity is)

Zanchief wrote:And am I to believe you rip the discs you physically own? That can't be easier then just taking them out of the case and putting them in your player. I assumed you did this with rentals and what not to save on costs or to sell the BR discs afterwards.

both actually (the library will also allow you to make copies in Canada. doing so is legal here)

and it's exactly as easy as taking them out of the case and putting them in the player

easier
you only ever do it once

you stick it in your pc drive (blu-ray or dvd, whichever the case)
it rips it to hard drive

you then surf to that hard drive on your ps3/xbox/whatever and play the file over your network

this way the disc only comes out of the case 1 time ever
no wear and tear on your physical media if you insist on having it

from start to finish, you can have everything setup from scratch in a single day, easily

then once you learn about the goodness of torrents and RSS, everything is automated

take 15 minutes (not an exageration) and set up a meta data scraper, or media browser and suddenly all your files are accompanied by box-art, imdb/tvdb data
fanart, posters, etc etc

it's crazy simple, looks mind blowingly good
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon May 02, 2011 1:42 pm

Tikker wrote:transcoding. You have to connect the xbox or ps3 to a pc (networked, doesn't matter wired or wireless) and your pc ON THE FLY changes it into a format the xbox/ps3/ipod/whatever understands. process to set it up takes less than 2 minutes (depending on how fast your internet connection to download tversity is)

Hrmm this process interests me and I will look into it. As for the streaming wireless thing, I don't know if I can trust you since you said Pimpstreamer for PSP wouldn't lag over wireless network and it was really choppy and worthless.

So tversity is a PC side client that will do this? Both my PS3 and XBox are already setup on my network. I will PM you with inevitable questions.

I don't really have any need to store my BRs on a HD. I don't mind loading the discs by hand.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Mon May 02, 2011 1:47 pm

HD space needed for an entire BR collection would be ridiculous. 20+gigs per disc. I stream a lot of stuff but there's no comparison between a streamed 5.1 soundtrack and a lossless HD soundtrack.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Mon May 02, 2011 3:11 pm

Zanchief wrote: As for the streaming wireless thing, I don't know if I can trust you since you said Pimpstreamer for PSP wouldn't lag over wireless network and it was really choppy and worthless.

it's likely that it's your pc that's worthless. you need a certain amount of horsepower to transcode in real time.

Zanchief wrote:So tversity is a PC side client that will do this? Both my PS3 and XBox are already setup on my network. I will PM you with inevitable questions.

I don't really have any need to store my BRs on a HD. I don't mind loading the discs by hand.

yup

tversity is free, and a simple install. it also has a whole bunch of prebuilt profiles that will autodetect which device is trying to talk to it, and transcode accordingly

it talks UPnP as well as DLNA

lots of newer tv's will also speak DLNA via wireless, so you can even cut the ps3/xbox out of the equation
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Mon May 02, 2011 3:14 pm

Tossica wrote:HD space needed for an entire BR collection would be ridiculous. 20+gigs per disc. I stream a lot of stuff but there's no comparison between a streamed 5.1 soundtrack and a lossless HD soundtrack.

so why not stream the HD soundtrack?

you're not making a lot of sense

and yes BR space is ridiculous

but it's dirt fucking cheap

2TB drives are running less than 100 bucks these days (that's american, so like 85 cents in real canadian currency) and it's relatively cheap and easy to build a quad core machine, with 4-6 of these 2TB drives for under 600 bucks

ie, not a huge amount more than a nice book shelf, with WAY more functionality
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon May 02, 2011 3:17 pm

My PC sucks.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Mon May 02, 2011 3:46 pm

Tikker wrote:
Tossica wrote:HD space needed for an entire BR collection would be ridiculous. 20+gigs per disc. I stream a lot of stuff but there's no comparison between a streamed 5.1 soundtrack and a lossless HD soundtrack.

so why not stream the HD soundtrack?

you're not making a lot of sense

and yes BR space is ridiculous

but it's dirt fucking cheap

2TB drives are running less than 100 bucks these days (that's american, so like 85 cents in real canadian currency) and it's relatively cheap and easy to build a quad core machine, with 4-6 of these 2TB drives for under 600 bucks

ie, not a huge amount more than a nice book shelf, with WAY more functionality

Because the HD soundtrack is not available in any form but Blu-Ray. I'm not about to setup and 10tb server to keep movies on when they already create convenient discs that are easily stored.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Mon May 02, 2011 6:00 pm

Tossica wrote:
Because the HD soundtrack is not available in any form but Blu-Ray. I'm not about to setup and 10tb server to keep movies on when they already create convenient discs that are easily stored.

I think you meant to say:

Because the HD soundtrack is not available in any form but Blu-Ray and I went HD-DVD
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby 10sun » Mon May 02, 2011 9:29 pm

10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Markarado » Tue May 03, 2011 12:54 am

I absolutely love my PS3. Unfortunately I don't get even half of the cool shit you guys get on the PSN. In the Asia-Pacific region we don't get any of the COD downloadable content. Till today I don't understand why. We don't get Netflix for obvious reasons, but why not COD content? We can download Battlefield and other game content, so why not COD?

Yes.... I'm a COD fan.... This shit has been annoying me since Modern Warfare.
Markarado
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tossica » Tue May 03, 2011 7:26 am

Tikker wrote:
Tossica wrote:

I think you meant to say:

Because the HD soundtrack is not available in any form but Blu-Ray and I went HD-DVD

What?
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Tue May 03, 2011 9:01 am

One thing I've changed my tune on is streaming. Toss and I had the HD/Bluray argument as I felt BR was a far superior format and better for the industry.

A point brought up then was that streaming was the future. Due to the size of HD videos I felt this wasn't the case, but with compression and broadband speeds going through the roof I do believe I was wrong there.

I'm still glad Bluray won the format war and I think there is a future for disks in the interim, but long term I feel streaming will eventually supplant disks.

I would much rather buy a game from Amazon or Steam today so I can redownload it anytime, anywhere.

I was a fiend for CDs and having a massive collection, but I've changed tunes and now prefer to stream and keep movies in my media center hub for easy access to my Ipad or any of my connected TVs throughout my house.

I think one day we'll be a disk free society, and the way of the Kindle and Netflix will spread and be the media propagation tool of choice.

I just wish MS invested more in Media Center as it's a brilliant piece of software that they refuse to market or mass support for some puzzling idea.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Tue May 03, 2011 9:11 am

I think some people will always want the physical discs and until they drastically reduce the price of a digital copy it's not really worth it. The savings on production costs makes it a bit of a no brainer, but I think most distributers see it as a way to simply increase profit without passing any of it on to the consumer.

For games I do it all the time, as I find Steam to be a useful tool to keep all my games in one place and I don't have to go looking for my old CDs and CD Keys every time I want to play something. For me, movies are another thing though. Maybe I'll become the old luddite who refuses to get with the times, but I'll always prefer having my shelf full of DVDs / BRs.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Tue May 03, 2011 9:39 am

Games are different than music/movies. Besides the pack-ins that sometimes came in games (maps, books, etc) there's no quality lost in not having the media. The same can't be said with compressed video/audio.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Tue May 03, 2011 9:47 am

Tossica wrote:Games are different than music/movies. Besides the pack-ins that sometimes came in games (maps, books, etc) there's no quality lost in not having the media. The same can't be said with compressed video/audio.

I think this can be overcome, especially with gargantuan broadband speeds and disk being so extremely cheap.

I can stream HD video now over the net or via my LAN at home with no issues. Verizon now has phones with 20Mbs 4G LTE speeds. That will continue to rise and more opportunities will be open.

Disks can be lost, scratched, and require space. The cloud is just there and far more convenient.

I think it's only a matter of time before Ebook readers are so common place that the maps/books/add ons from games are just delivered digitally and kept in the same manner as other digital media. This is far superior than the game book which requires that same storage and has the fragility of paper.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Tue May 03, 2011 10:47 am

What a shame that most people don't value having something physical these days. At least records are making a resurgence.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Tue May 03, 2011 11:27 am

Try to think green. You're killing the planet, Toss!
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Tue May 03, 2011 11:58 am

Lyion wrote:Try to think green. You're killing the planet, Toss!

Yeah, cuz buying a new empty3 player every 2 years is so green.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Tue May 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Tossica wrote:What a shame that most people don't value having something physical these days. At least records are making a resurgence.

i am still a proud CD-buyer!

if i had a lot more space i'd consider buying wax so until i have a big house and lots of money to burn it's CDs4lyfe
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tikker » Tue May 03, 2011 6:07 pm

Tossica wrote:What a shame that most people don't value having something physical these days. At least records are making a resurgence.

I never understood this argument

The music/video is what's important not the chunk of plastic it's embedded on
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Tue May 03, 2011 6:44 pm

It's the cool factor. Like those white guys who shave their heads~
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Tue May 03, 2011 7:59 pm

no it's about getting a physical thing in exchange for my money, a thing that i can do anything i please with

besides, with about 30 seconds of effort i can rip it into whatever format i choose (at whatever quality) and literally have the best of both worlds
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

PreviousNext

Return to Other Worlds