Playstation 3 owners beware. PSN compromised.

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Playstation 3 owners beware. PSN compromised.

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:22 pm

leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: Playstation 3 owners beware. PSN compromised.

Postby Lyion » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:27 am

That sucks.

You on PSN, Jay? What games do you have?
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:24 pm

I am and I play Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Super Street Fighter IV, Mortal Kombat, and occasionally MW2, Black Ops and when the new Resistance hits I'll be all over that.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:24 pm

you should get xbox and play marvel vs capcom 2 on xbla with me. marvel vs capcom 3 is seriously lacking some characters !!
Last edited by Drem on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:16 pm

new Twisted Metal game coming out is making me consider a ps3
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:54 pm

I have an Xbox and a PS3.

I mainly use the PS3 since my kid pretty much controls the 360 for playing with his teenage friends who live on it. I like that PSN is free, but XBL is better for multi. To me it remains a boondoogle, though since it costs money for no real benefit: no hosting, net, or anything, just to play with friends which has no cost to MS. Kid pays for it, he can use it. :dunno:
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Sun May 01, 2011 12:16 pm

xbla lets you subscribe to espn and netflix after you go gold and stream those. does ps3 ? because espn w/o commercials is amazing and netflix is a nobrainer
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Sun May 01, 2011 8:36 pm

You get all those on ones PS3 without any subscription.

Netflix streaming is better on the PS3 than the Xbox.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Mon May 02, 2011 1:03 am

how could it be "better" ? does it have subtitles?

and anyways, i can't afford stupid shit like that. i have a silver account so i can buy arcade games and that's all so far. yeah i can't play games with other people but, i paid $80 for this used. no way in hell i'll find a ps3 for that
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Mon May 02, 2011 7:24 am

PS3 is also a much better media center. You can basically download 90% of movie torrents and play then on your PS3 with no problems. It even supports subtitles.

Xbox used to have better exclusives, but now they just have different ones. Really, it doesn't matter. There's plenty to play on both and if you really want to play online the $50 a year you need to pay for a gold account is pretty minimal.

But yes, Xbox is cheaper right now too, but I use my PS3 as a blu-ray player pretty much every day so your getting more.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Mon May 02, 2011 8:15 am

I can get Blu-rays from Netflix and stream local content to my PS3. The PS3 lack of codecs support is a bother at times, though. Wireless the streaming speed on the PS3 just destroys the Xbox, even with the N dongle.

The Xbox shines as a media center extender to stream from a Windows PC media center hub. This is what I've used it for primarily in the past, but no longer as it's now owned and operated by teenage dorks in my house.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Mon May 02, 2011 8:27 am

Just get a thumb drive and play stuff from it on your PS3? I find the XBox plays almost no files properly.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Mon May 02, 2011 8:38 am

I own both. My PS3 doesn't even get used as a BR player now because of the output limitations. It basically just sits there collecting dust. I used to prefer it for Netflix streaming but now the 360 does 5.1 as well. Demon's Souls was the only exclusive that was worth a shit IMO. Nearly every cross platform game is better on the 360.

This PSN thing is pretty much the nail in the coffin for me. Fuck PSN, fuck the PS3 and fuck Sony.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Mon May 02, 2011 8:45 am

Output limitations?

Someone's got a serious case of cognitive dissonance. It looks like you're still holding a grudge from your HD DVD days.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Mon May 02, 2011 9:00 am

Zanchief wrote:Output limitations?

Someone's got a serious case of cognitive dissonance. It looks like you're still holding a grudge from your HD DVD days.

If I send HDMI to my TV, I am limited to stereo audio through the optical output to my receiver. My version also can't bitstream.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Mon May 02, 2011 9:04 am

You have a shitty TV. That's not Sony's fault.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Mon May 02, 2011 9:44 am

Zanchief wrote:You have a shitty TV. That's not Sony's fault.

The PS3 limits output to stereo through its optical out if you are using HDMI for video.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Mon May 02, 2011 10:47 am

Zanchief wrote:Just get a thumb drive and play stuff from it on your PS3? I find the XBox plays almost no files properly.

That's your fault for serving the wrong media

Use tversity and everything plays on everything

Or properly encode your media to start with

That being said, both are nice devices and both work great for a ton of stuff. I went xbox over ps3 only cause it was way cheaper

Blu-ray is meaningless in an all digital environment like I have
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Mon May 02, 2011 10:48 am

Tossica wrote:

The PS3 limits output to stereo through its optical out if you are using HDMI for video.

So don't hook it up like that?

Hdmi to tv

Optical from tv to receiver

Boom done whine erased
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon May 02, 2011 11:15 am

Tikker wrote:
Zanchief wrote:Just get a thumb drive and play stuff from it on your PS3? I find the XBox plays almost no files properly.

That's your fault for serving the wrong media

Use tversity and everything plays on everything

Or properly encode your media to start with

That being said, both are nice devices and both work great for a ton of stuff. I went xbox over ps3 only cause it was way cheaper

Blu-ray is meaningless in an all digital environment like I have

I "serve" it was is available. A PS3 will play almost anything I download through torrents, and XBox will play almost nothing.

Why would I spend the time re-encoding everything to proprietary MS formats just so I can later play then on XBOX when the files are already good enough to play on PS3?

As for your physical medialess utopia, any compression involves a loss of data which I don't find acceptable. I know you will claim otherwise, but you’re wrong. Plus I like having the disc on my shelf to look at, because I am a materialistic yuppie.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Mon May 02, 2011 11:25 am

Tikker wrote:
Tossica wrote:

So don't hook it up like that?

Hdmi to tv

Optical from tv to receiver

Boom done whine erased

It doesn't work that way, smartass. The TV can't convert 7.1 true hd audio to a compressed 5.1 output. You still get stereo. I need a BR player that can output multiple hd audio streams. The PS3 doesn't. I ended up buying a player with analog 7.1 outputs.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Mon May 02, 2011 11:29 am

Zanchief wrote:
I "serve" it was is available. A PS3 will play almost anything I download through torrents, and XBox will play almost nothing.

Why would I spend the time re-encoding everything to proprietary MS formats just so I can later play then on XBOX when the files are already good enough to play on PS3?

you're doing it wrong then.
you don't have to re-encode. just transcode on the fly

Zanchief wrote:As for your physical medialess utopia, any compression involves a loss of data which I don't find acceptable. I know you will claim otherwise, but you’re wrong. Plus I like having the disc on my shelf to look at, because I am a materialistic yuppie.

who said anything about compression?
rip it as a straight iso or m2ts and you're done

no compression involved

I display all my discs too

http://xbmc.org/skins/aeon/

as an example

@Tossica
I'm sorry your tv sucks donkey balls

buy a better receiver that does HDMI switching I guess
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon May 02, 2011 11:37 am

Tikker wrote:you're doing it wrong then.
you don't have to re-encode. just transcode on the fly

It's still an extra step with seems like a waste when I already have something that will work better. Streaming directly from my computer isn't beneficial since neither my PS3 nor XBox are wired to my PC and streaming through a wireless network will defenitately lag.

Tikker wrote:
Zanchief wrote:As for your physical medialess utopia, any compression involves a loss of data which I don't find acceptable. I know you will claim otherwise, but you’re wrong. Plus I like having the disc on my shelf to look at, because I am a materialistic yuppie.

who said anything about compression?
rip it as a straight iso or m2ts and you're done

no compression involved

I display all my discs too

Well I don't claim to be an expert with all this stuff, but how can you play something on your XBox directly from an ISO? You must have a hacked XBox to launch image files as if they were real discs? Either way it's all too much trouble for since, as mentioned above, the PS# does all this by default.

And am I to believe you rip the discs you physically own? That can't be easier then just taking them out of the case and putting them in your player. I assumed you did this with rentals and what not to save on costs or to sell the BR discs afterwards.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Mon May 02, 2011 12:17 pm

More dumb PS3 shit.

If Dolby TrueHD is selected as the audio output format, audio will be output in Dolby Digital while Blu-ray 3D™ content is being played.
If DTS-HD is selected as the audio output format, audio will be output in DTS while Blu-ray 3D™ content is being played.

Why? I'd like to watch 3D content AND hear HD audio, thanks.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Mon May 02, 2011 12:25 pm

The biggest surprise in this thread is you actually own a PS3, Toss. You were pretty hardcore anti PS3 vs Xbox before. Sounds like some things have not changed heh.

I like my Xbox but the problem with the 360 is it nickel and dimes you with accessories, wifi dongle, Xbox Gold boondoggle, etc. Xbox Live costs money and gives no hosting or anything else. It's a great way for MS to print money for free.

I really hope Steam takes off on the PS3. It'd be the last missing piece for that console if it provided the same functionality there that it does on the PC.

I have yet to have an issue with the PS3 and sound, as it handles my living room receiver, Bedroom HDTV, and Office setup which are all different equally well.

Anyways, Wii2 for the win...
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Next

Return to Other Worlds