NT Patron

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Postby Menelvir » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Tossica wrote:
Tikker wrote:RAmen

oblivion or morrowind with 2-3 player coop would be spectacular

Hell yeah.

I too, concur.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Lyion » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:21 am

Just in case Skyrim is boring...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4728/bliz ... ta-slowly-

In an investor webcast yesterday, Blizzard president Mike Morhaime confirmed that Diablo III would enter a closed beta “later this month,” though it appears some friends and family may already have access. According to MMOsite, Blizzard has also issued beta invitations to members of variousDiablo/Warcraft fansites.

If Diablo III releases in December 2011 (as has been speculated for a while now), Blizzard will have had four solid months of beta testing to iron out any major kinks. Beta participants will have access to all five character classes and roughly four hours worth of early-game content. A version of Diablo III’s controversial Auction House, which allows for player-to-player transactions of in-game items, will also be in the beta, though it’s not clear if this feature will be available at launch.

You can join the opt-in pool for the Diablo III beta through Battle.net. If you don’t receive an invitation, you can always keep an eye out for footage and screenshots that will surely flood the Internet over the weeks to come.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:51 am

Seems mass beta invites have been sent out for 'weekend stress tests'. Check your mail, and especially your spam folders.

No joy for me so far, but I'm hoping to get a few weeks testing in before release.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:56 am

fuck diablo. they reset the d2 ladder so often i gave up on uber tristram (fuck hammerdins, no im not gonna play like that). i'm sure it was a ploy to make people play WoW, but it killed my interest in d3. also i'd prolly need a new computer. but i'm not buyin that til this thing breaks irreparably

so torchlight ftw
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:12 pm

I'll probably pick up D3 but after the fun of co-op in the original Diablo wore off, I haven't really paid much attention. I bought D2 and played it for a couple of weeks but EQ was dominating my time around then so it mostly sat unplayed.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:29 pm

People still play PC games? Torchlight seemed cool, but was pretty stupid. They seemed to take all the things that were pretty tedious about D2 and refined them. I guess it's not as bad as Dungeon Siege. Couldn't even get through the demo.

Old Republic looks awesome though, but I have two young kids and I don't have time for such things.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:06 pm

Consoles come and go, but PC gaming is forever.

Think of all the money you can save for your kids college if your wife <or girlfriend or SO> get accounts and play as hard as our EQ days!

Seriously, I'm a dirty casual player now. It seems MMOs are tuned towards that now. I still prefer my PC to consoles, but most of my gaming lately is playing Sanctum or Cogs or Defense Grid type games. I won't ever do the time I did in EQ in any game again, regardless of genre.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Zanchief wrote:People still play PC games? Torchlight seemed cool, but was pretty stupid. They seemed to take all the things that were pretty tedious about D2 and refined them. I guess it's not as bad as Dungeon Siege. Couldn't even get through the demo.

Old Republic looks awesome though, but I have two young kids and I don't have time for such things.

torchlight was the best game i've ever paid $5 for. too easy and i don't care for the graphics but the game was solid. 100% diablo clone. and i believe the second one's gonna have co-op like the first one should've

i still put EQish amounts of time into games like fallout 3 and stalker, not gonna lie. can't play MMOs anymore tho. i try p99 but after a year of dinking around i'm not even lvl 25
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:45 pm

I love grindy games, but Torchlight is just too grindy. I need something more out of the story or the game design. It was all just Diablo 2 refined with updated (but still dated) graphics. Too much loot too. It's just all over the place, and 90% of it's crap. I think Sacred 2 had a good medium between the things Diablo did well and didn't do well (story). It had a ton of others problems though.

Lyion wrote:Think of all the money you can save for your kids college if your wife <or girlfriend or SO> get accounts and play as hard as our EQ days!

She played WoW with me (pre-babies) but I'm not going to go all Kizzy on my kids. I also can't function on like 5 hours sleep like some others so I can't really game while the kids are in bed. I have about 2 to 3 hours a night of daddy time and I usually end up watching a movie or playing a game that doesn't take up too much of my time.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Torchlight was pretty "meh". Generic game.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Witcher seems interesting although I've only put 15 min in to it. Amnesia is the best PC game I've bought in a while.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:13 pm

I love Amnesia. If you like Witcher, pick up Witcher 2. I haven't finished it yet but it's been really fun to play.

I picked up Divinity 2 - The Dragon Knight Saga and Risen in the last Steam summer sale but haven't even started them due to time constraints.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:22 pm

I've heard Witcher 2 was good but the OG was like $5 on GOG so I grabbed it.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 am

Oblivion is still probably the greatest single player RPG ever. I hadn't touched it in years but have been devouring it over the last few weeks in anticipation of Skyrim.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:39 am

I finally broke down and built a new system, which I've been putting off for years. My old rig was originally a socket 775 dual core system in 2006, which I upgraded to a Q6600 in 2007.. VGA wise it went from a 7900 to an 8800 which fried and EVGA replaced with a GTX 260 which I sold for a GTX 470 a little over a year ago.

New system is an i5-2400 with 8G RAM, & 6950s in crossfire....I may upgrade the CPU on this guy eventually but this upgrade all things considered was pretty dirt cheap. It was more a new and hotness thing over a real need. The Q6600 was still doing decent, but I felt with new games on the horizon it was time.

Last system lasted almost 6 years with just a few upgrades that were fairly cheap. Really, this may be the last home PC I build out as my gaming time is so infrequent and really I could've kept my Q6600 for a few more years even.

I love PCs, but I think as a platform they are going to be replaced by one size fits all consoles and tablets.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:01 am

Lyion wrote:I love PCs, but I think as a platform they are going to be replaced by one size fits all consoles and tablets.

They already have pretty much. Gaming PCs are a thing of the passed. Why worry about outdated video cards and compatible software drivers when a console does all that for you at more then half the price? I don't see the desktop becoming obsolete, but I don't think I'll ever buy a gaming PC ever again. My $500 laptop plays stuff well enough for me.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:11 am

I hate gaming on laptops. I like my ipad for ebook reading and the stupid simple games, but for anything serious I want to have a huge screen, lots of room, and surround sound.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:32 am

Well I get that with my PS3~
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:58 am

Console gaming > PC gaming, no matter how super duper awesome your PC is.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:16 pm

Tossica wrote:Console gaming > PC gaming, no matter how super duper awesome your PC is.

Disagree, because console controllers suck goat ass. They are uncomfortable to hold and use, and not to mention, maddeningly imprecise. My hands start actively hurting like hell and cramping up within minutes of trying to play on a console, entirely because of the controllers. Yuck, no, forget it. PC 4 lyfe!

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:22 pm

You get used to it.

FPS is the only type of game where I still have trouble with on console. It's just not something that feels natural for me.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Arlos » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Unlikely I'll ever get used to it. I have permanent nerve damage in my right arm in the nerve that goes across one elbow. It's not awful, but it leaves the pinky and ring fingers a little numb, and putting my hand into odd positions, even something like holding chopsticks gets really painful really fast. Yes, I realize that's just me, but I didn't like console controllers even BEFORE I damaged my arm.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Well quit trying to hold the controller like it's chopsticks! For me the 360 controller is comfortable. FPS are a bit frustrating but not to the point of ruining my enjoyment of the game. Driving, flying, sports, rpgs, etc are all much more natural on a controller. I hunch over a desk and use a keyboard and mouse all day long for work, when I game, I want to kick back on the couch.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Yea that's kind of a unique situation. I know for me it took some getting used to for certain games, but now I love it. I even prefer it for FPS for everything except precise tagerting (obviously a big problem with most games). I'm thinking of checking out the sharpshooter/move attachement to see if that might help a bit. Might work for you too, Arlos. Reviews seem pretty mixed though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

PreviousNext

Return to Other Worlds