Greatest Item in a MMO ever

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Greatest Item in a MMO ever

Postby Tikker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:15 pm

so, what's the single greatest item in an MMO?

we'll exclude the shit like treant's fists that were crazy overpowered and got nerfed almost immediately

for me, it was always the fungi tunic
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Re: Greatest Item in a MMO ever

Postby brinstar » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:06 pm

brinstar wrote:CIRCLET OF SHADOW BIATCH
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:49 pm

brinstar wrote:
brinstar wrote:CIRCLET OF SHADOW BIATCH

That and Holgresh Elder Beads
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:28 am

Holgresh Elder Beads, especially pre-nerf, were the greatest pull-tool EVER. So many shenanigans you could do with those things.

Apart from the elder beads, in EQ, my 2 favorite items were:

1) Abashi's Rod of Disempowerment. 2nd greatest pull-tool ever, great in PVP (though not QUITE as great post-change to give it a cast time), but the name amused the hell out of me. IT'S A NERF BAT!

2) Monk Epic. This item was silly broken. Made us the only melee class to have self-cast spell haste. Single handedly let monks solo. Not to mention, it gave us a instantly recastable spell buff to throw up as armor for other buffs in dispel fights. I was actually oen of the prime movers on getting it made spell-haste, amusingly enough. Originally they were going to be item-haste, like the other epics, but me and a few other uberguild monks convinced SOE to make them click-castable haste instead. We actually had to overcome a fair amount of resistance from a lot of monks on the issue too. before the effect was set, as they wanted cheap & easy 40% item haste. Once people got them and figured out how broken they were, though, there was miraculously no more bitching. rofl.

Honorable mention: AOW monk pants. Gotta love items that were 3 generations better than any other item available for the slot. They were THAT much better. Especially when that item has no graphical texture whatsoever, and makes you look like a L1 who should be killing Fire Beetles... Oh, and everyone else in the game should thank LOS & SOS for getting SOE to make the barbarian mask actually cast the barbarian illusion... ;) That spawned the whole wave of race illusion masks, as they weren't going to make more beyond the DE illusion one.
2nd Honorable mention: my Sky quest haste belt, more for what it meant than the item itself. It was the first haste belt ever completed in Sky, server-wide, with the possible exception of a SK one I heard about, but never saw confirmed. Certainly, it was the first monk belt ever. Not every day you get a piece of gamewide-first gear.

From WOW:

1) Thunderfury. Not least because I got one and I was a Paladin. (got the 1st piece before anyone knew the reward, and when the 2nd dropped, my guild let me take it rather than have 2 half-thunderfuries.) Unique look, insane effect. Hell, just that 1 item let me successfully tank heroics and hold in the Burning Crusade expansion, well before Blizzard actually changed the game and the talent tries to make Paladins actual viable tanks. (At the time, ONLY warriors tanked, period.) I still remember when I first transferred servers to my current server. I was in Judgement gear (T2 paladin gear) at the time. (Still one of the best looking armor sets ever produced in WOW) Some guy I met right after I arrived, saw me in my armor with the thunderfury, and so unreal was the concept of a Paladin with one, that he said that his first reaction was "How is that warrior wearing Judgement armor?", as if that were the more likely scenario... rofl.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:57 am

utility ? as a shadowknight, the dark spiritbone belt from relic that would give hybrids the ability to use an aura during raids (circle of power I) that augmented everyone's critical hit ability (spells or melee). like that warrior aura but doper because it affected your casters. because shadowknights never got a proper aura from PoR. you didn't need it on raids because other people had normal auras, but it would turn your group into a rape machine for a few minutes every 30 mins

CoS was amazing but after the AA invis ability shadowknights got, it was actually worth selling for 300K. and honestly with the way they built zones after velious you didn't need anything with 0.1 recast for invis. nothing was ever as dicey as classic. not gonna lie tho, never bought that mentality and still have my CoS taking up a main inventory slot

for fun ? guise of the deceiver for sure. seeing dark elf monks and rangers was always cool
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:01 am

also at one point they introduced overhaste items that worked outside of enc/shm casted spells and bard songs. you could have 3 hastes up. those items were huge
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:22 am

I remember I had most of the utility items for an SK. If I recall I had, prenerf CoS, Holgresh Elder Beads, Dain Ring, Eyepatch of Plunder, Binden Concerrentia, Journeyman's Walking Stick, Fungi tunic, Primal Battle Axe aaaaand I dont remember the rest, or maybe that was all of it.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:29 am

nerds
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Kaemon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:33 am

J-boots.

For a pasty mage, best item ever. Made leveling 25-50 that much easier and then to 60.

-Kae
Adivina wrote:We are the most bipolar acting community, bunch of manics with the mood swings on here.
Kaemon
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Tikker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:01 am

Arlos wrote:
Oh, and everyone else in the game should thank LOS & SOS for getting SOE to make the barbarian mask actually cast the barbarian illusion... ;) That spawned the whole wave of race illusion masks, as they weren't going to make more beyond the DE illusion one.

-Arlos

you're wrong

the high elf illusion mask was in the game during kunark (part of rogue epic)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby 10sun » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:22 am

AoN.

It was like a free key through every locked door in the game.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Lyion » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:18 am

This thread makes me miss EQ.

Wait, moment's over and memories of the asstastic camping, raids, nerfs, and linkdead TW~s are back.

p.s. Fungi Tunic was the greatest item when I played. Just so cool and useful. I had tons of rogue and cleric toys, but they did not have the fun and awesome factor of the Fungi.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby leah » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:23 am

i'm fond of my pet turkey. :V:
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby leah » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:24 am

emoticon fail :(
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Tikker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:30 am

before I was given a 2nd account with my shaman, I used to duo with a cleric friend all the time (Yammis/sillik)

he had a cleric, I my rogue

with a fungi, rune proc'ing weapons, slow procing weapons, snare proc'ing weapons, we could pwn tons of stuff that we probably shouldn't have been able to

then once we both were 2 boxing, we had cleric/monk and rogue/shaman. probably best combo in the game

i miss those days :(
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Tikker wrote:
Arlos wrote:
Oh, and everyone else in the game should thank LOS & SOS for getting SOE to make the barbarian mask actually cast the barbarian illusion... ;) That spawned the whole wave of race illusion masks, as they weren't going to make more beyond the DE illusion one.

-Arlos

you're wrong

the high elf illusion mask was in the game during kunark (part of rogue epic)

Hmmm.... You may be right. It is indisputable, however, that the barbarian mask did NOT have the illusion on it, until we badgered SOE about putting it on there. They originally had no intention of doing so, but liked the idea once we brought it to them enough.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:24 pm

I left before Planes of Power to DAOC, so I'm sure my setup and memories are different from a lot of people who played during the later serious mudflation expansions. Most of my gear and farming were during Kunark and Velious. Pre Kunark most of my early farming was sitting in Lower Guk with Ronald while he was afk with his pet exploiting the dual wielding bug and killing everything and splitting the loot with him...

My farming setup was dual boxing with Hazakiah/Kyojitsu and I could take down most non silly things. The gear on Kyo and Haz was really good, probably similar to Tikkers if missing a few high end things. Most of my dual boxing though was for guild groups, and for camping spawns to help get gear for friends. I usually was stuck doing Quee/Lyion Enchanter/Cleric combo, The exception was I wouldn't help my anti-social guildies and their desire to killsteal that damned giant turtle every day, which I always ignored. I had more nasty tells for that mofo than for all other drama laden events put together.

I miss the class designs of EQ. I like the game design for WOW better, but the classes and their roles in EQ were perfect. Nothing has come close since. Everything from the Monk to the Bard to the Shaman were just great. Rift's classes and their souls suck by comparison, IMHO.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:27 pm

rift classes are the definition of the suck

I actually prefer the WoW classes, to be honest

the problem was that the content (and death penalties) never forced you to actually PLAY the class. button mashing was good enough

exception tho was the EQ bard. probably the single best designed class of any game.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:33 pm

far and away my #1 all time was the Circlet of Shadow, obviously. could not think of a more useful item in that game.

but i do have a few EQ honorable mentions:

Greenmist - used to waste hours upon hours spelunking with Klissar trying to be the first to solve what we didn't know was at the time an entirely broken quest. then after months and months of complaints from the (microscopic) IKS/SHD community, sony actually did something about it. did they fix the questline? nah, fuck that, too hard. they just shoehorned some other bullshit in there and completely borked the quest trajectory. and they made it look like a katana instead of a khukri. oh well, whatever - we were so ahead of the curve that Klissar and I respectively finished the first/second Greenmists on the Nameless, and what we believe(d) were the second/third Greenmists gamewide. ultimate symbol of IKS/SHD pride, that blade - and it was a pretty sick weapon too (at the time), considering the proc would basically guarantee agro-lock. then the other races flipped their fucking shit and petition-spammed sony until they got it changed to ALL/SHD - so now we had pansy little delfs, ugly fatties, blind-ass humans, and even those little douchebag gnome fuckers (wtf? why?) running around with OUR sacred blade of freedom? yeah, fuck that. you can mark that day as the day EQ was ruined for me.

Guardian Robe - minmaxers gon' hate, but i farmed myself one of these and wore it 24/7. why? it looked cool and it was fun as shit. i never had much fame in EQ (and i was fine with that) but i guaran-damn-tee you never saw any other SHD wearing a robe on a raid, let alone an IKS one. i was able to cheat a bit, though, thanks to...

Spell: Shroud of Undeath - super rare drop spell that gave you the same lifetap proc as Shroud of Death, but also had an Illusion: Skeleton component. this was a big fucking deal at the time since sony, in typical asshole fashion, refused to give us even a nerfed version of Lich. with SoU, i still had mana problems but i could finally enjoy life as a skelly (although i wish they could've coded it so iksars turn into iksar skellies lol) - which includes the cackle on swing AND the giggle on proc. plus, while in skelly form i could switch my robe out for an actual BP and no one would know :D

Innoruuk's Curse - unless you're a mage i don't give a FUCK how hard you think your class's epic was, because this one was harder. i fuckin' finished it though, and i fuckin' loved it (even if innoruuk is a big wobbly pussy compared to CAZIC-THULE). great story, great graphic, great sword. 2H bash enabled too, nice little bonus :)

Glowing Black Stone - i'd like to tell you how many days of /played i spent camping this item on my mage, but the brain cell responsible for remembering that datum was beaten to death in a dark alley by other brain cells.

and finally, i gotta second WoW's Thunderfury

my buddy Phid and i finished ours at the same time. it was a pretty big deal tbqh since a) it was still pre-BC and b) our average-at-best guild now had TWO TF-equipped warriors, when even the best guilds only had one (plus a few months later one of our pallies got one). awesome graphic, awesome proc, ridiculous stats. still used that fucker at 65.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tikker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:13 pm

brinstar wrote:Guardian Robe - minmaxers gon' hate, but i farmed myself one of these and wore it 24/7. why? it looked cool and it was fun as shit. i never had much fame in EQ (and i was fine with that) but i guaran-damn-tee you never saw any other SHD wearing a robe on a raid, let alone an IKS one.

I forgot about this

gnome rogue wearable~ I waxed some hotshot on RZ during test of tactics when he assumed I was a necro, lol
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:33 pm

10sun wrote:AoN.

It was like a free key through every locked door in the game.

this, actually. but you had to have a mount, right? and i was a shadowknight so i didn't need AoN for skeleton form. and then i had an AA mount. i was built for scouting VT tbqh. skeleton on to use mount because i didn't have the luclin models on, then click mount off when you ran into the door and it popped you thru. you taught me that trick adam, hahahah. love it

also as far as alex is talkin about oldschool shadowknights not being able to be skeletons, yelinak's sword proced call of bones. troi had it and blew my mind back in the day. that guy was hardcore
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:44 pm

Tikker wrote:
brinstar wrote:Guardian Robe - minmaxers gon' hate, but i farmed myself one of these and wore it 24/7. why? it looked cool and it was fun as shit. i never had much fame in EQ (and i was fine with that) but i guaran-damn-tee you never saw any other SHD wearing a robe on a raid, let alone an IKS one.

I forgot about this

gnome rogue wearable~ I waxed some hotshot on RZ during test of tactics when he assumed I was a necro, lol

i thought ToT was before luclin?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:53 pm

that robe is still in game and guild portal goes to CS. easy to farm, but takes even longer than it used to because they revamped skyshrine and only two mobs in the whole zone have a chance of dropping it. vaelie got one tho. jealous. so hard to get now

you can get shinai's nightie from sharvahl in luclin but it's just a lame plain gray robe. guardian made you look like a hardcore caster
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:00 pm

brinstar wrote:
Tikker wrote:

I forgot about this

i thought ToT was before luclin?

ToT was the day before or right the day after luclin launched?
I know I had one on RZ

and it dropped in skyshrine in velious i thought, no?
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:13 am

Tikker wrote:ToT was the day before or right the day after luclin launched?
I know I had one on RZ

and it dropped in skyshrine in velious i thought, no?

yup

the only ALL/ALL robe in the game aside from the lame nightie
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Next

Return to Other Worlds