SWTOR Launch

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: SWTOR Launch

Postby Zanchief » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:54 pm

I'm not talking MMOs but in general. DLC shit for Mass Effect and Dragon Age are just insulting. They package content for the game and make it DLC right out of the gate. That's not cool. That's content you paid them to develop by paying sticker price for their game and want you to dish out another $15 bucks for it. Outrageous. People do it because they think it's the best on the market. It simply isn't. There's plenty better then Dragon Age. Pay DLC in DragonAge for basic game mechanics like a bank and a few extra characters? "Hello sir, would you like to buy this golem?" Enter credit card now...nice role-play.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Zanchief wrote:DLC shit for Mass Effect and Dragon Age are just insulting. They package content for the game and make it DLC right out of the gate. That's not cool. That's content you paid them to develop by paying sticker price for their game and want you to dish out another $15 bucks for it. Outrageous. People do it because they think it's the best on the market. It simply isn't. There's plenty better then Dragon Age.

I can't really argue against that. The DLC setup is really a bad deal. I generally don't buy any of it. I was hugely disappointed with DA2 anyways, and Skyrim is a far better game.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Menelvir » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:19 am

Zanchief wrote:Pay DLC in DragonAge for basic game mechanics like a bank and a few extra characters? "Hello sir, would you like to buy this golem?" Enter credit card now...nice role-play.

That is precisely why I stopped playing DragonAge.

Disclaimer: I'm probably a bit more volatile than average regarding my sensitivity to sales pitches and whether I feel I'm being subtly manipulated against my own judgement. This really irked the shit out of me.

As I played, there had been a gradual build-up of little annoyances, mostly minor game mechanics which I disliked, but which I overlooked in favor of giving the game the benefit of the doubt. Then, as I adventured merrily along, I stopped to talk to some NPC by the side of the road, who offered to sell me something from the BioWare store -- this was no humble, wandering merchant -- this was a deliberate marketing ploy in a fair seeming.

It was a complete, jarring shock to any concept of immersivity, and it was the proverbial straw.

I took the disc out, put it in its jewel box and had returned it for store credit within half an hour.

Somewhat of a shame, because I really enjoyed some of BioWare's other offerings.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Drem » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:36 pm

are we talking about the little area on the main map that when you go to it it's actually just something that wants more of your money to play the game they already developed? yeah no

and ya, dragon age II was fucked. rushed and halfhearted, two ways i didn't think bioware really made their games
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:21 pm

More of the same shit I've been saying from EA / Bioware.

http://kotaku.com/5887626/mass-effect-3-dlc-triggers-fan-outrage-bioware-response

People need to just pass on this company so this doesn't become an industry standard.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Previous

Return to Other Worlds