Just got a new gaming PC

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Just got a new gaming PC

Postby Jay » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:00 pm

Any recommendations for games? I like most genres of games and I just picked up Shadows of Mordor. I'm gonna play Portal and Portal 2 after this game I think.

Dark Souls looks good but I'm too afraid and have no more patience or motivation to grind through hard games unless it's Big Boss mode for a new Metal Gear.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: Just got a new gaming PC

Postby Zanchief » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:34 pm

Dark Souls I & II pretty much require a gamepad, but you get hook up your xbox controllers pretty easily if you haven't (I assume you have though). Don't worry about the difficulty too much. Yes there are hard parts but the game does reach a tipping point if you upgrade your equipment. Enemies don't level with you so you can just out level them. Strategy is very important though, but yo should be fine. I feel like it's reputation is turning people away. It's only hard if you expect to finish the game just by plowing through it. It is really rewarding. I'd make the plunge.

Other recommendations if you haven't played them yet are Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Both would actually play better with Mouse Keyboard too so there's that, and you can pick up the GOTY pretty cheap on steam.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:27 pm

X3: Terran Conflict or X3:AP - space based flight sim/trading/combat games.

Mount and Blade: Warband - on the ugly side, but super fun combat and gameplay.

Divinity: Original Sin - coop RPG

Shadowrun Returns - X-Com style combat

Wasteland 2 - From the makers of the original Fallout.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Zanchief » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:49 am

Four of the five games you mentioned originated on Kickstarter. Crazy how much it changed the industry.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Diablo 3. it's so much better than when they released it. End-game is a lot of fun
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:04 pm

Durothil Skyreaver wrote:Shadowrun Returns - X-Com style combat

Wasteland 2 - From the makers of the original Fallout.

I own some of the others listed, but these two stand out for me.
I adore tactical RPGs and they are both incredibly well done.

Expect 10 hours of gameplay from Shadowrun Returns.
Dragonfall has another 30 hours logged.
Both are fairly linear is my only complaint.

I'm already at 22 hours into Wasteland 2 with the expectation of at least another 30.
Probably more about the same once I get to the DLC. Very open world at this point.

After that, Borderlands 2 (I'm at 94 hours and only about 1/3 of the way through the DLC).
Huge bang for your buck. However, it requires some time allotment (figure 2 hours minimum to make progress in the DLC). I haven't done any multiplayer in it yet, but I'd like to. As with Wasteland 2, very open world.

Farcry 3 was stellar, though relatively short (~30 hours). Kinda linear main quest, but lots of additional crap.
I can only imagine Farcry 4 improves upon that.

Fallout: New Vegas with DLC... about 90 hours & easy to do in short sessions. King of non-linear gaming until you start doing DLC.

I've heard great things about South Park: The Stick of Truth and it is next in my queue.
Friends and coworkers say that it is like the Super Mario RPG.

Beyond that...

Terraria is a fun little game to just piddle around and build things in.
Starbound is like an upgraded Terraria that is even more confusing.
Risk of Rain is fun, but I haven't played it much. I am looking forward to trying it with friends.

Speaking of which, we still play Quake 3 Arena, Team Fortress, Counterstrike(Global Offensive now), and a bunch of other shit like that. The most recent party game we started playing was Gang Beasts (local multiplayer only); complete blast.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Drem » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:37 pm

i haven't played any of the games you guys are talking about except fallout :(

Banished is great. sort of like simcity, i guess

GTA IV still great, and GTA V coming soon

Portal 2 is great if you haven't played it yet

Inquisitor is cool but the graphics are old style. apparently it was in development since the late 90s and didn't come out til just recently

Skyrim is great with all the mods available

Goat Simulator is hilarious and lots of custom levels to fuck with

Starcraft 2 is awesome if you grew up on the first one

Sins of a Solar Empire is another RTS that's excellent

then of course, steam and GoG are loaded with great retro titles. i like to fire up Age of Empires 2 HD, Commandos, Heroes of Might & Magic 3, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Descent, Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/etc, and the Dungeon Siege games when i'm feeling super nostalgic

but basically i just play Diablo 3 every day
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:54 pm

Ooooh I just got Far Cry 4 because it came with the video card.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:15 pm

Supreme Commander is still super enjoyable.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Harrison » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:32 pm

Everyone covered everything I wanted to list.

Shadowrun is amazing but, short. I haven't tried the DLC yet either but it's on my list.

I just picked up Wastelands 2 and it's great as expected. It's unforgiving as fuck. Love it.

I highly don't recommend Diablo 3. It's awful. If you liked Diablo 2, play Path of Exile.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:20 am

Path of Exile is great, but it's too short, the landscapes are boring, and the random level generation is pretty weak. also it doesn't seem like they're ever going to put out act IV. pretty good tho for a free game.

anyways, after playing both quite a bit, because it's my favorite style of game, i feel Diablo 3 is much better at this point. it wasn't when it came out. i didn't even buy it til a few months ago. it was so fucking terrible and had an auction house and i just didn't even want to believe that shit was called Diablo. but now the end game is superb and their selection of sets and legendary items is vast. the auction house is gone and adventure mode is endearing. much better than playing the story over and over and over. key runs are the same as D2, the addition of rifts and greater rifts is fresh, legendary gems are taking the places of runes, and i haven't even dipped into season play, which has loads of dope items just like the D2 ladder-only stuff. my only gripe now is account binding items.

what exactly is so bad about it to you?
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:28 am

surprised no one mentioned The Stanley Parable. so good
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:32 am

top two on my steam wishlist are Darkwood and Sunless Sea, but they are both in development and also i have zero time

i did just find out about sZone Online though, which is apparently an attempt to turn the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series into an MMO. it's also in development but for now it's free to play so i'm downloading it now

not that i'll have time to play it anyway (student teaching 6 HS classes every school day + still working full time + 3 bands)
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby 10sun » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:10 pm

brinstar wrote:top two on my steam wishlist are Darkwood and Sunless Sea, but they are both in development and also i have zero time

i did just find out about sZone Online though, which is apparently an attempt to turn the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series into an MMO. it's also in development but for now it's free to play so i'm downloading it now

not that i'll have time to play it anyway (student teaching 6 HS classes every school day + still working full time + 3 bands)

Sunless Sea is kinda meh at this point without a fleshed out storyline; I played about 20 hours just min-max'ing with what is available in current content.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Nusk » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:47 am

played the heck out of wasteland 2, made the mistake of killing a quest npc and then saving the game before realizing he was important.

Shadowrun:returns the ship with game is ok. The player made content is amazing

LA noire got this on xmas special play it in black and white enjoy the 40s movies easter eggs. best 5 bucks i spent all year

Morroblivion Morrowind with the oblivion graphic engine... find out more here http://tesrenewal.com/
Nusk
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby brinstar » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:47 pm

10sun wrote:
brinstar wrote:top two on my steam wishlist are Darkwood and Sunless Sea, but they are both in development and also i have zero time

Sunless Sea is kinda meh at this point without a fleshed out storyline; I played about 20 hours just min-max'ing with what is available in current content.

then i'm glad i haven't bought it yet, gonna wait until it's done

i've been burned before on those "pay us full price for a game that's 1/3 done" things ;\
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:14 pm

I must play all the games...

Trying to play through Far Cry 4 and Shadows of Mordor now. Next on the list will be Borderlands 2 (I liked pt 1 but PC couldn't run pt 2) and I guess I'll go to the pre sequel from there.

Shadowrun looks interesting...there's so much catching up I have to do with PC gaming. Gotta get this all done before grind time with Street Fighter V.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:38 pm

Shadowrun team, Harebrained Scemes just hit up another kickstarter for their sequel, Hong Kong!

They started development before starting another kickstarter. (This being their third, so you know they're going to deliver.)

I'm excited for this. I absolutely loved Shadowrun Returns, even though it was very short for me.

Wasteland 2 is still eating up most of my free time before this coming semester. It's everything I want out of an RPG right now.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:10 pm

I enjoyed Shadowrun Returns, just less than I expected. I like the mechanics of the combat but I just find the interface very limited. The game becomes very streamlined because zones are very small, and clues are very easy to spot. It becomes a grind of go to point b find clue go to point c find clue (maybe fight bad guys). I have not played some of the new DLC, but on launch it was typically terrible. Non-programs just don't make content that's up to snuff. I heard the new paid DLC was good, but I'm skeptical.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Return to Other Worlds