Fallout 4

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Drem » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:24 pm

And fuck the quests that go like

"We won't make it much longer, nearby Raiders have really been giving us trouble, think you could help?"

"Sure where's their camp?"

"Well you see that highway in the distance? It's like five towns past that"

runs past giant radioactive scorpion on the way out
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:50 pm

Drem wrote:And fuck the quests that go like

"We won't make it much longer, nearby Raiders have really been giving us trouble, think you could help?"

"Sure where's their camp?"

"Well you see that highway in the distance? It's like five towns past that"

runs past giant radioactive scorpion on the way out

Yeah or a gang of Mirelurks -_- Those guys are fucking annoying.

As for your open world question, I dunno...I just felt like Skyrim's open world was beautiful. I dunno if you played Far Cry 4, but moving around in the open world there were lots of little events and some stuff that even turned into quest chains. Also....vehicles? WTF Bethesda? Far Cry 4 was superior to Fallout 4 in every way. Still though, it's not a bad game by any stretch. I just expect more from the people who brought you Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:36 pm

Yeah, maybe I'll feel different after DLC and mods but the vanilla experience, aside from being graphically and technically way ahead of their other games, feels pretty ho-hum
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:39 pm

I'm hoping Obsidian gets another stab at Fallout after this one. Lots of improvements in many areas this time around, but dialogue and main quest sucked. The side quests were far more interesting imo.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Drem » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:06 pm

I think I'm just tired of sifting thru loot and finding the floating marker. I did that for hundreds of hours between FO3 and NV, not counting Morrowind or Oblivion or Skyrim.... It's just the same old shit again. Maybe I'd enjoy it more if I'd take a break from their games in general for a while
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:26 pm

good job guys
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:51 pm

Drem wrote:I think I'm just tired of sifting thru loot and finding the floating marker. I did that for hundreds of hours between FO3 and NV, not counting Morrowind or Oblivion or Skyrim.... It's just the same old shit again. Maybe I'd enjoy it more if I'd take a break from their games in general for a while

I dunno man, I honestly still go back to Skyrim once in a while. That game was incredible. If another Skyrim DLC came out, I'd drop 40 hours on that easy. It took YEARS for me to finally take that game out of my routine.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Drem wrote:Image

good job guys

haha i'm having more fun reading your criticisms of the game than i probably would be playing it
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Zanchief » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:30 pm

This game feels a lot more like Fallout 3 in that most things you do are all the same, but the story is really bad. The writing is just not up to par. I like the idea of building your base, but I don't want to have to deal with 20 bases. Give me one I can have fun with. After the first base, it just feels like babysitting. Of the three I'd say its the worst so far, but I'm not even at Diamond city yet. We'll see how things go at that point.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:01 am

Jay wrote:I dunno man, I honestly still go back to Skyrim once in a while.

Yeah it's really good. One of my favorite games. Gonna play it right now actually
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:45 am

I don't get the love for Skyrim. Fallout 4 has all the same problems. I never found the world that great. It's just the same platitudes everyone says. At first you feel like it's lived in, but after than 100th time, the immersion is lost. I had to force myself to finish it, and when I did I never played it again. I get that people like it, but it was so bland to me. The writing was very weak too.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:00 pm

Zanchief wrote:I don't get the love for Oblivion. Fallout 4 has all the same problems. I never found the world that great. It's just the same platitudes everyone says. At first you feel like it's lived in, but after than 100th time, the immersion is lost. I had to force myself to finish it, and when I did I never played it again. I get that people like it, but it was so bland to me. The writing was very weak too.

FTFY
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:31 pm

I didn't care for Oblivion either. Never came close to finishing it. I suppose all of Bathesda's game have the same problem for me, that they are painfully repetitive, and the limitations of the engine make most of the encounters similar, even if the enemies look different. The fallout games had fun stuff going on though, and generally had good writing. Without it, the games seem tedious.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:08 pm

I still think Morrowind was an excellent game in every aspect. I don't know what happened after that but some key people must've quit or gotten fired. I never understood how you go from something as amazing as that to Oblivion. Skyrim was really good, but still not Morrowind
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:26 pm

I agree Morrowind was the best. Some small issues with mechanics, like leveling system being abusive, and the quest log is terrible. I played so much of Morrowind though. It's insanely addictive. All games afterwards were more polished and less interesting. They seem to always concentrate on small improvements, like the Companion wheel (who cares) and less on actual content.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:26 pm

I'm still bitter that they cut levitation, acrobatics, and athletics. Skywind project looks neat but who knows if they'll ever finish it and let people play
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:23 pm

It's been so long since I played Fallout games, I don't remember. Is there a key that you can press to highlight interactible objects? Other RPGs, you can hit, say, the Tab key, and anything youc an pick up will get highlighted. Anything like that in Fallout? Couldn't find anything, but like I said, it's been a LONG time since I played a fallout.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Nothing like that in Fallout 3 and up. I believe there is in Fallout 1 and 2, but those are your typical ISO RPGs.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:34 pm

Well I got a xbox one and can actually appreciate the game a little more now. Didn't realise how fucking bad it really was on the laptop. So now that I'm not spending half my time buried in .inis I'm starting to enjoy this quite a bit.

Power armor is really cool imo, didn't like it at first. also loving all the options for crafting and tweaking weapons and armor

Trying to spend less time messing with Sanctuary/settlements and more time exploring. Finding quite a bit of stuff that doesn't have a map marker.

Anybody found anything like the secret ham radios or the holotape that had multiple parts that all added up to a secret in fo3? I love how awesome comics are in this game but I want more cool shit to hunt for...
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:20 am

I put this one away and am working on Witcher 3 now. Much more engaging for me right now. I'll come back to FO4 at some point, I'm sure. Although, I'm really tempted by Elite: Dangerous on the Xbox One. I had not intended on getting one but that game might make it worthwhile.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:50 pm

What's your gamer tag? I'm paper cle

I haven't really got anything yet for xb1 except Fallout and Destiny, which sort of like Diablo 3, is finally the game it should've been when it launched. And the cool free games, of course
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:18 am

I want an XB One but I don't want to pay for it lol. I only want it for Rise of the Tomb Raider and a little bit for Killer Instinct. Otherwise I can't think of any exclusives that compel me to open my wallet.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:25 pm

Ya i dunno about many exclusives, I just wanted to save my gamer points from 360 and play Forza

Sanctuary is coming along. Got vendors and a whole little city fleshed out now with Abernathy Farm supplying food.

I've tapped out my explorable area at lvl 14 on Survival not using power armor. Ran into some mutant dragonfly that one shotted me. Power armor is almost required to go any further. VATS is a huge crutch as you can't be wasting any shots or ammo at this difficulty level. Killing shit takes forever and yields little XP (difficulty does not effect XP amounts, hence still being such low lvl while everyone else I know is 40+ and have beaten the game) so most lvl ups coming from crafting/location discovery. Most fights take 3 or 4 tries unless it's just basic enemies around the starting area. Most perks into defense or you just die instantly. Radscorpions or Mirelurk razor claws or legendary anything? Lol maybe if you got bottle cap mines and a fat man. Feels like Dark Souls or old EQ, you just get fucked up all the time til you feel out each situation

Found a whole city of Mr. Handys. Tried to talk to their leader but he always fights me if I don't have ID. The Director.

Found a toxic waste plant that had a cool back story about a site inspector being snuffed, then you find an open water pipe with empty barrels around it hidden behind massive amounts of radioactive barrels and the inspector-turned-ghoul comes at you. And on top of the same building a nice Blade Runner reference with a dead drifter and synth. This building also houses an underground bunker where one of the alarm radio signals originates from

Then you realize that illegal dumping is why the fishing tournament you read about on the terminal in Lake Quannapowitt went awry. Those little back stories are why I loved exploring FO3, and this game is totally delivering. This type of stuff is much more interesting than the main story ever is to me
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:44 am

I'm on Survival. You don't need power armor necessarily. You need to be smart about your build though. Enemies have a lot of hit points, but many builds will also deal a lot of dmg. Ninja will increase your sneak attack to 3.5 times normal damage. With a strong sniper rifle you can kill legendary mobs in one hit, especially if you crit + sneak attack them (from any distance). Combat shotgun with rifleman perk will help with ghouls and such at close range.

I think I'm level 36 now? Still a lot of perks to take. Haven't spent much time building up Sanctuary Hill. Town building makes me sleepy. Been doing the Silver Shroud quest which makes me laugh. Some of the quests are pretty funny.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:43 am

I wish they had some Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood type stuff like Elder Scrolls or am I asking too much to want FO3 to be like Elder scrolls?

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

PreviousNext

Return to Other Worlds