Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

Postby Lyion » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Just spotted this guy on Steam, and might have to give it a go, being a huge Warhammer FRPG fan. Warhammer is mostly what Blizzard copied to make their warcraft universe.

This is a four person co-op first person action game. The screens and idea sounds great.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

Postby brinstar » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:46 pm

isn't blizzard doing a team-based FPS too? i think i was invited to open beta but was way too busy

for some reason i never stumbled into the warhammer rabbithole but i hear it's pretty great
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:47 pm

Yeah, they just made a DOTA-style thing, which is funny because DOTA was made for a Blizzard game

Now they're doing a team fortress type thing

Blizzard's killin it. SC2 is awesome, like being a little kid again. Diablo 3 has turned into something truly great at this point. it's the only game i still play on the reg. And before anyone tries to school me, yes, I have played Path of Exile. It was better. A lot better. But D3 has been fixed and now I don't enjoy PoE anymore. And Hearthstone is the best phone game ever

never played or was interested in Warhammer in any way. i was always a D&D guy
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:14 pm

man i must've tried PoE at exactly the wrong time in the beta because i thought it sucked shit

clunky and awkward and shitty graphics, i think i played about 5 hrs and uninstalled
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:33 pm

i dunno where it was when i played it. couple years ago. it didn't have the fourth act yet. seemed smooth. it was fun. but now D3 is way better
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:22 am

Drem wrote:i dunno where it was when i played it. couple years ago. it didn't have the fourth act yet. seemed smooth. it was fun. but now D3 is way better

You just play the same content over and over again?
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:06 am

in PoE I did but I'm sure there's a lot of things I never knew about and might be a lot more to do now

in D3 no, you don't even have to play the story. Maybe once at the very beginning. Otherwise you spend time doing bounties and rifts in adventure mode, bounty mode makes 5 bounties (random quests) in 5 different areas of each act. You get act-specific crafting materials that let you do a bunch of shit in this game's version of the Horadric Cube (rip legendary abilities out of items to set as your abilities, swap set items for different items of the same set, swap crafting items, modify items, etc)

Or you can spend your time opening rifts from any town area and it selects random locations to use for its appearance and you kill a certain amount of stuff before fighting rift guardians, mostly for loot. Greater rifts turn loot off and difficulty off and go by rank depending on how far you can get and you have to kill stuff within a time limit to have the rift guardian drop legendary gems, this game's version of runes/runewords. If you win in the time limit you'll get a chance to level up your legendary gems

there's also the keywardens still

and seasons, which are like the old ladders. seasonal chars have loot and other rewards not available for regular characters
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:18 am

Does it all take place in the same environments as the storyline though?
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:51 am

Roughly, but there are a lot of areas. And a lot of areas that only show up in rifts. And it's all still randomly generated, of course. I'm having easily just as much fun with this as I did with D2 at this point. It was horrible on release but they've listened to the community and fixed all the problems. Now it just gets better every patch

Fun game to blow a few hours a week on
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Just to clarify, in the rifts, it will pick random monster set and random area for each floor of the rift. you might get a cave from act 1 with monsters from act 4. and they make up a name for each rift. so I guess no, you never play the areas from the storyline in the rifts

Bounties are set in areas on the map, tho, so you do go to those areas more than once, but bounties are always different every time. and they're not always just "kill x amount of mobs and x boss"

It keeps things pretty varied. The only thing I ever get tired of is killing billions of monsters hunting one piece of gear for one class, never the areas or the objectives or anything like that
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:34 am

I still play D3, but the main reason to play it is the loot Pinata. It is still a fun game, but really anytime I take a break of more then 3 days I suddenly lose interest in it. That said, It actually plays very well on my PS4 as well. I've tried POE twice and it never captured me.

Anyways, make your own fuckin' D3 thread.

This game is a FPS 3D coop game built on Warhammer, which has the best background. Not comparable to a 2D ISO game, IMHO. Again, it's where 90% of WOW was lifted, but is much darker with Chaos, etc. Go read the Felix and Gotrek books if you want some mindless fun and to get in the mood.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:57 am

Lyion wrote:Anyways, make your own fuckin' D3 thread.

superslammmm
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:25 am

Odd that the company just shitcanned Warhammer Fantasy the tabletop miniatures game, but new stuff based on it is coming out for PC.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Tabletop gaming is all but dead, dude. This is coming from someone who still plays about every weekend.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Arlos, I wonder if the reason it's going away is profitability. Selling digital stuff, a la Steam, is crazy lucrative with very low costs.

Sucks, but I did quit tabletop gaming in the 90s. I still have a ton of Warhammer fstuff in my basement boxed up, though.

I nabbed this game on Steam. I'm planning on playing it this weekend if work finally gives me a day off.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:21 pm

Lyion wrote:Arlos, I wonder if the reason it's going away is profitability. Selling digital stuff, a la Steam, is crazy lucrative with very low costs.

Probably profitability, but most likely dwindling interest. I feel like it's gone because people are just too busy now. Too much to do. Too hard to pick and choose, too many options. So people play or do the quick easy stuff. Buy it on Steam for the satisfaction, never install it, play a phone game, whatever it may be. I can hardly find time at all to hang out with another human being, let alone sit down for an entire day to play make believe. Not surprised this sort of carry over from the days before internet gaming is finally dying. Barnes & Noble still sells a shitload of different P&P books tho, so there must still be some market for it

I played AD&D 2nd edition a few times when I was a kid but it always turned into arguments and broken friendships
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:34 pm

I just started running a game a few weeks ago. It's a GURPs campaign, that's slightly based on shadowrun, but I house ruled a lot of stuff to make it more palatable for me since I think Shadowrun is inherently flawed. Played only one session so far, but I think it went well enough.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby 10sun » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:44 pm

Yeah, I've been playing RIFTs with a bunch of friends for a little over a year now through Roll20.
I can't say tabletop is dead, just evolving.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby brinstar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:24 pm

every once in a while my core nerd crew would try starting up a D&D game

we'd set it for every saturday or every thursday or whatever and we'd go strong for about six weeks before someone bails - then we scale it back to twice a month and it limps along for a couple months, then it's just like whoops one day we all stopped doing it

that happened about 3x before the dork posse grew up and/or moved away

(for the record, i was never the flaker)

the core idea is still cool and i'd still be willing to give it a go but half the battle is finding the right people to roll w/
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby 10sun » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:55 pm

If you get the itch:
First get the books (or download them or get access somehow).
Then look for a group on Roll20. Or start your own group.
I just picked up a new headset (Astro A40 w/ preamp) just for tabletop gaming.
It is a good way to schedule out personal time and escape.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby brinstar » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:47 am

that sounds nice but honestly like 2/3 of the fun came from getting drunk with brosephi while playing

can't imagine it would be as fun with strangers via the interwebz
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tossica » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:07 am

brinstar wrote:that sounds nice but honestly like 2/3 of the fun came from getting drunk with brosephi while playing

can't imagine it would be as fun with strangers via the interwebz

Same with playing cards and the like. I don't have fun playing with strangers or online.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:13 am

I agree, not to mention I'd rather have those inevitable arguments with the degenerates I choose to spend my time with than randoms.

I've considered incorporating a virtual tabletop for our games, but I don't know how much we would get out of it. I'd just do it so outoftowners could join.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Harrison » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:40 pm

My friends and I just decided to do a once a month 5th ED D&D group.

We're all students and nut-deep in work, but we're going to try.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:53 pm

I am in an ongoing tabletop D&D game with friends that has been going on for years now. We meet roughly once every couple weeks, depending on people's work and family schedules. We usually start about 8:30pm and go til about midnight-ish.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Next

Return to Other Worlds