the long dark

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

the long dark

Postby brinstar » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:55 pm

brutal survival (non-horror!) game set in the remote canadian wilderness

i guess it's been out for a couple years now as a standalone sandbox, but only recently did they roll out episodes 1 and 2 of an actual 5-episode story mode. ep3 is due later this year. grabbed it on steam for like 9 bucks and have been going nuts over it

story mode starts out with a cinematic of you as a bush pilot flying your exwife somewhere and your plane goes down. you wake up amid a howling blizzard and the burning wreckage of your plane and there's a chunk of metal stuck through your hand. you're rapidly losing both body heat and blood. you yank the metal out and find a piece of cloth to use as a bandage, then stagger into a nearby cave to wait out the blizzard. from then on it's a constant struggle for survival - manage your body heat, forage for food and water, avoid hostile wildlife, find useful tools in abandoned cabins, hunting stands, and homesteads. once your continued existence is on stronger footing, start looking for your ex-wife, who was not among the plane's wreckage. there are a couple of lonely souls still sticking it out here, but most have left. they can offer you guidance, in exchange for help.

survival mode is just pure sandbox, there's no NPCs or story narrative. the goal is just to survive as long as you can.

features
  • eight-ish huge maps to explore with tons of nooks and crannies (though you only visit 3 in story mode)
  • minimalist music drifts in and out
  • gorgeous hand-painted environment
  • excellent foley work
  • live off the land - food, water, medicinal plants
  • some moderate crafting - not just animal hide clothing but also some basic tools and maintenance (gotta keep your clothing/tools in good repair)
  • resource scarcity drives creative tactics (for example you can use one of your four rifle rounds to take a deer, OR you can try and scare that deer toward a hungry wolf and then use a road flare to scare the wolf away from the deer carcass long enough to harvest some meat and a hide)
  • gotta be careful of injuries - a sprained ankle might prevent you from escaping a wolf, falling through some weak ice might get you a bad case of hypothermia, getting caught in a blizzard might mean some permanent frostbite damage, eating uncooked meat might earn you some intestinal parasites, etc etc
  • predator behaviour - a bear can smell that raw deer meat you just harvested from ten clicks away, sometimes wolves hunt you as a pack
  • extremely atmospheric
  • 40ish achievements, some feats to reward long-time players (nothing gamebreaking though)
  • good as hell
  • also available for xbone and ps4 virtual stores, or if you wait a month or three they're going to put out physical copies
  • permadeath in survival mode, saving allowed in story mode
  • seriously just go get it and share your stories with me

trailer for PS4 release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ-1O_w2KTg

trailer for story mode release back in august:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syoDWIt9yZY
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Re: the long dark

Postby brinstar » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:41 pm

on sale for $7.50 rn, and there's a new update that greatly expands cooking options and adds a new region that is totally wild (as in no human settlements, just pure wilderness)
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:18 pm

ok i got it

no idea what i'm doing tho.

>started near a dam, found a few little houses and a shelter and some clothes and bandages
>didn't know how to equip that for like 10 minutes
>the wind started blowing. hypothermia warning
>went to that little lean-to and made a fire
>tried to feed the fire
>fucked up and walked into the fire
>wasted some bandages
>fire said it would be alive for 2.5 hours
>rested for 2 hours
>fire went out immediately at the beginning of the resting so i got hypothermia sitting there in the wind for 2 hours
>re-lit fire
>fucking walked into it again
>wasted more bandages
>went inside dam
>found crowbar, sewing kit, basic tools
>found some sweet clothes
>went back out to the shelter to make a fire to get my temp up
>walked thru it again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>had to go to work

the inventory management is a little wonky on xbox. for some reason i keep dropping out of inventory wheel and walking into the fire

i also have like no idea about the systems or what's smart to do first or w/e but gonna play all night hopefully. should i waste time breaking things down for tender and fuel or just search for stuff like books and newspaper that seem to be readily available? seems oddly peaceful yet stressful as shit

PS where's a damn knife or hatchet or something xD
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:05 am

Drem wrote:oddly peaceful yet stressful as shit

fuckin exactly, they really nail that contradiction

anyway play the story mode if you want a more basic tutorial easing you into the game, but if you're just doing survival i would say main priority is finding more clothes and campfire fuel and reliable shelter as quickly as possible. as for tinder/fuel, grab whatever stuff you can as long as you don't get overencumbered. then when you make a fire to warm up or cook or whatever, start it with whatever you have that doesn't need breaking down, THEN start breaking down your shit WHILE you're warming up or cooking or whatever (just a matter of time management). i'm guessing your 2.5h fire went out right away because a storm came up and you weren't properly sheltered from the wind like in a building or a natural cave

other thing i would add w/r/t tinder/fuel is that tools will wear out, so if you're not in a hurry to break down a branch or a box or something you can manually choose to use your hands instead of (for example) your hatchet with only 13% left before it breaks
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 am

bump, this game is still good as hell

there was a big update yesterday that did a complete overhaul of episodes 1-2, updated the main engine, improved environmental effects, and retuned the menus

spent the last month-ish playing sandbox mode, made it over 100 days on voyageur difficulty level, and am getting to the point where it's too easy. restarted story mode last night. once i'm done with that i'm gonna do sandbox on stalker level and see how much harder it is. dope ass game.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:58 am

Episode 3 of this just got released very recently.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:49 pm

ya i'm about 1/4 of the way into ep3 and it's good as hell

you can really tell they upgraded the engine and polished a LOT of stuff in the past year

also now that ep3 is live they're going to push out another major survival mode update within the next ~3 months
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Return to Other Worlds