Slow Site

Questions, Comments, Or Complaints? Take Them Up With Management Here.

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Slow Site

Postby Gidan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:39 am

For the next few hours you may notice NT slow down a bit, I am testing out some new imporoved backup scripts and pounding the CPU fairly hard atm, should have it done soon. Thankfully when I am done we should have nightly backups as well as biweekly backups stored in multiple locations without me having to remember to do it manually. Sadly my backup scripts are not all that optimized yet.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Menlaan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:24 pm

Wow, thanks for all the effort you're putting into the NT!
Menlaan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Martrae » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:59 pm

Menlaan wrote:Wow, thanks for all the effort you're putting into the NT!
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:01 pm

Whatever, NERD!

Keep up the good work, Zod. Much appreciated.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Re: Slow Site

Postby Tikker » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:46 pm

gidan wrote:For the next few hours you may notice NT slow down a bit, I am testing out some new imporoved backup scripts and pounding the CPU fairly hard atm, should have it done soon. Thankfully when I am done we should have nightly backups as well as biweekly backups stored in multiple locations without me having to remember to do it manually. Sadly my backup scripts are not all that optimized yet.

do you test your backups? (ie restore it on a test box)

we had a department here who had amazing backup routines, but never bothered testing them. when we did have a box melt down they found out their backups were less than useful, heh

it sucks donkey balls testing each backup, but we do it all the time now
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Griever » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:57 pm

Hey Gidan, Ive noticed the site being really slow lately and that is really hampering my post reading. Can you fix this? And please try harder in the future to make sure this doesnt happen again.

JK thanks for all the hard work bro.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Trielelvan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:16 am

Martrae wrote:
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Gidan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:16 am

Tikker wrote:
gidan wrote:For the next few hours you may notice NT slow down a bit, I am testing out some new imporoved backup scripts and pounding the CPU fairly hard atm, should have it done soon. Thankfully when I am done we should have nightly backups as well as biweekly backups stored in multiple locations without me having to remember to do it manually. Sadly my backup scripts are not all that optimized yet.

do you test your backups? (ie restore it on a test box)

we had a department here who had amazing backup routines, but never bothered testing them. when we did have a box melt down they found out their backups were less than useful, heh

it sucks donkey balls testing each backup, but we do it all the time now

hehe, yeah I have a test site that I use to test any changes I make before I make them live here, Everytime I want to try somethign I restore the latest backup to that site, I also randomly restore one just to make sure it worked. I do have a very basic test I run on all backups that more or less guesimates the size they should be and makes sure they are about that size, anything that seems off notifies me to test it fully.

My backup scripts favor acuracy over speed, they are not quick to run or easy on the system but I have yet to have 1 fail. They are also not differential backups, If I lost everything except 1 backup file, I would still be able to do a 100% restore on the site.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Insanityfair » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:04 am

Trielelvan wrote:
Martrae wrote:
Insanityfair
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby The Kizzy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:43 am

Insanityfair wrote:
Trielelvan wrote:
Martrae wrote:

Had to jump on the bandwagon
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:27 am

gidan wrote:
hehe, yeah I have a test site that I use to test any changes I make before I make them live here, Everytime I want to try somethign I restore the latest backup to that site, I also randomly restore one just to make sure it worked. I do have a very basic test I run on all backups that more or less guesimates the size they should be and makes sure they are about that size, anything that seems off notifies me to test it fully.

My backup scripts favor acuracy over speed, they are not quick to run or easy on the system but I have yet to have 1 fail. They are also not differential backups, If I lost everything except 1 backup file, I would still be able to do a 100% restore on the site.

that's good to hear~

ps, you're totally jabowning vonk now ;)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:36 am

Tikker wrote:ps, you're totally jabowning vonk now ;)

OH SNAP!
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jimmy Durante » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:00 pm

Insanityfair wrote:
Trielelvan wrote:
Martrae wrote:
Jimmy Durante
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Return to Board Feedback