NT needs a revamp

Questions, Comments, Or Complaints? Take Them Up With Management Here.

Moderator: Dictators in Training

NT needs a revamp

Postby Jay » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:45 pm

I think the board needs a revamp. Vonk's rules, while they served their purpose, are old now. They catered to the everyday EQ player who would post here in large numbers and were designed to control the population from getting out of hand and creating chaos amongst a board full of different people, a lot of whom we might not know. Now that we know each other and such, the rules gotta change. This random anonymous moderating shit has got to go. I think what we need is:

1) A fresh new set of much more lax rules (ie Alehouse rules everywhere on the board). We're all adults and we all kinda know what goes and what doesn't.

2) Posted and documented guidelines on what should be moderated.

I don't think any moderation should be up to interpretation. To be honest I'm kind of confused as to what should or shouldn't be said where. I've had to argue moderation before and interpret rules etc etc. Waste of time considering I mod something like once or twice a month.

Also, there should be a rule that you post what and why you are modding. Anyone who was modded by me knows what and why was modded (even if they disagree).

3) Reduction in the numbers in moderators and admins. (Why I ever became mod along with Lueyen is beyond me).

What we need, is 1 moderator and 1 admin. That's it. Fuck, rotate the mod position. No reason any person should be mod forever.

Really, we shouldn't even need moderators. Admins should be able to handle everything. Gidan ruled as an admin as he fixed things and improved others and made NT generally more enjoyable. I've made requests for things for the board and I don't think any admin has done anything to make anything better short of fixing some wording on forums and the occasional handslap PM. I can't say that you guys aren't doing anything, because I really don't know how much code crunching and NT fixing you guys are doing in the background, although I could probably take a pretty educated guess.

I've only ever seen moderation from an admin on a favortism or personal belief standpoint, not because of any rules (even though there aren't really solid rules or anything). Just seems like a giant abuse of the mod action rule due to the extremely selective moderating coming from the admins.

4) A legit attempt at clean up. Why is Nebulis still Main Moderator. WTF is a Main Moderator? Why is the arcade arena closed and just sitting there. Why do we have a trading post if no one has posted there for months. Why have an EE when there's an R&F or vice versa.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anything else right now.
Last edited by Jay on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay

Postby Arlos » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:05 pm

EE as I understood it was a place to post "Not Work Safe" stuff that wasn't necessarily rants. Think about Ralf and posting pictures of nekkid chicks. If that sort of thing was kept entirely in EE, people coul dopen the OTHER sections while at work in the relatively safe knowledge that they'd not have to worry about seeing Tubgirl or something similar, but they could check EE when they got home.

So, I think EE still has a purpose, even if it doesn't get used that often.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:25 pm

That's what I thought too then people post NWS stuff in Alehouse, I move it and get a hissy fit.
Jay

Postby Martrae » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:01 pm

Why I ever became mod along with Lueyen is beyond me.

I was in a mood and you fit it. You've done a good job so I'm happy.

I have done some of the stuff you suggested, others can wait for Gidan.

Don't believe the moderator titles you see. Many of them only have the title and no power whatsoever....this suits my sense of humor so I don't worry about it.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby 10sun » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:16 pm

Martrae wrote:
Why I ever became mod along with Lueyen is beyond me.

I was in a mood and you fit it. You've done a good job so I'm happy.

I have done some of the stuff you suggested, others can wait for Gidan.

First, she was in the mood and Jay fit the bill and satisfied her.

Now she is just waiting for Gidan to get back...
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:37 pm

I really like you a lot Mart so don't take this the wrong way, but I'd have to agree that it's a little odd that titles and random moderator status gets handed out on a whim because it's entertaining to one person. It kind of demonstrates favoritism on the board, and while it's not really a big deal to me personally, I'm sure there are people who will view it as a bad thing for business on the board in general and I can understand why - too many mods also become micromanaged, and to be honest I don't even know who the mods are other than Jay because he's the only one I ever see actively mod anything, and if someone else is modding anything it's definitely not apparent or a bit hidden.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby araby » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:49 pm

is this board a joke that I don't get?
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:51 pm

btw, I found out what the NT Drunkard Title is for.

Its because I am an administrator in disguise.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Martrae » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:35 pm

I never said I handed out random titles. In fact the only one I ever did was Kinghooter's Captain Google. I said the fact that there are some in the system suits my sense of humor.

Just like making Jay a mod suited my sense of humor. The fact he did much better at it than I expected doesn't detract from the fact I did it on a whim.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Return to Board Feedback