Fresh board

Questions, Comments, Or Complaints? Take Them Up With Management Here.

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Good idea? Would you use it?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes : 30

Fresh board

Postby Darcler » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:11 pm

This board, while still "functional" is very outdated and it is near impossible if not completely impossible to update.
Gid wants to know, if we keep this site open, just locked and archived, would you want a new board that we will be able to update and put addons on?
With this site open but locked, you will still be able to come here and quote anything you want to the new board, you just cant post here.
Also, with the new board, we could possibly be able to put the Arcade back up with use of the points.
If we do transfer, we would be able to transfer the user list, all post counts and we could replicate the goat points (if we are able to get an arcade back up)

So please let us know. Also tell us what features you would like us to add, we will see what we can do if they are good ideas.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Menlaan » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:42 pm

Sure, why not? I don't have a problem with the current board, but I found this site a big improvement over the old one, so if we can do even better I'm for it. I'll donate to help with the costs too.

Thanks for all the time you, the admins, and the mods are putting in!
Menlaan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby The Kizzy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:08 pm

How many boards is teh Nameless Tavern going to go through before we get one that we stick with?
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Martrae » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:12 pm

What type of board is he thinking about?
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:32 pm

Fine by me
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lueyen » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:44 pm

Even if there are no enhancements, if it makes it easier to work with (more up to date software usually does) I'd say that's your prerogative as I know how frustrating it can be working with older systems when you know things you are doing could be much easier with upgrades.
Raymond S. Kraft wrote:The history of the world is the history of civilizational clashes, cultural clashes. All wars are about ideas, ideas about what society and civilization should be like, and the most determined always win.

Those who are willing to be the most ruthless always win. The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.
Lueyen
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Lyion » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:44 pm

Martrae wrote:What type of board is he thinking about?

I think it's more a fresh install of this board, without the embedded older mods that are causing a bunch of problems.

Plus, we can add more things easily, and keep the board updated and less hackable.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Darcler » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 pm

Martrae wrote:What type of board is he thinking about?

pbpbb3 or something like that. Same as this, just in beta right now. With his limited computer time, it should be ready when it releases heh.

He also says that the way it looks, a lot of the features we added on, like minimod (whatever the hell that is heh) is standard in the deal. He also says that he might even be able to transfer the database over, which means the posts go over.

Kizz, this is what, the second board? Ez and now php? He'll probably stick this board on .com or something if he cant transfer it and build the move the new one to .net (where we are now so noone has to change their bookmarks). His ultimate goal, though a chance of it being impossible, is for noone to see a huge change. I want it to look the same, have all our posts here (then we can outright delete this version) but be able to update and addon. We'll cross that bridge when we get there though. As of now, we can only patch anything that breaks manually (and I say 'we' like I actually do anything, but you get the idea) but after so many patches, you are just patching your own patches.
The new board is a very good idea, Vonk did a great job, but the version we are running is outdated and with everything he added on (quite a bit) we would break the whole thing if we tried to update. Vote yes.

Also, people, tell us what you want.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Menlaan » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:06 pm

I'd like to have an active arcade. I found that fun for a while.

I'd also like to be able to rate posters and to be able to restrict my views to those posters above some rating.
Menlaan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby araby » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:10 pm

I want an oompa loompa!
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:21 pm

SMF (Simple Machines Forum) is a really nice board and is supposedly really secure, as an alternative.

I'm ok with whatever, if this board can't be upgraded.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby The Kizzy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:40 pm

This board has moved around alot in the last several years. Im all for an update, and I voted yes. Just want to know if this will be the final move is all.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Darcler » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:04 am

Final as long as we own the board :)
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Trielelvan » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:35 am

I see no reason to not go to a new board if it will be easier to maintain and addon to. Things getting broken here tends to be fairly irritating to say the least.
Also, I, for one, couldn't care less about my post count/goat-dog points/posts/whatever. I have copied the only thread of importance to me for my brother's sake (he still talks about it hah).

Just change it over and let the screaming pussies whine.

They'll be back.

They always come back :ohnoes:
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Jay » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:18 am

The Kizzy wrote:This board has moved around alot in the last several years. Im all for an update, and I voted yes. Just want to know if this will be the final move is all.

From what I understand there won't be much a difference on anything but the admin side (ie making shit work). It'll probably still be the same board until Gidan decides to put whatever new stuff he's got planned.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gargamellow » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:34 am

tired of dicking around

/loyalty
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Darcler » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 am

It's the same board, dork. Just one that works. Whatever.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Xaiveir » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:06 am

I was going to vote no, just so i would be the only person too vote no. However someone beat me too it!

New board is fine with me, whatever makes it easier on the powers that be.
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Darcler » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:10 am

It doesnt matter what yall vote now, we *are* building the new board. If you choose to post, great. If not, we probably wont miss you.

Now what we need is ideas for what yall want incorporated into the new board.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Jay » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:48 pm

Bring Arcade arena back. 1 moderator for all. Kill R&F and Trading Post and Holy. Have a store where you can buy stuff with your goats. Like little avatar pictures and stuff.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gaazy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:56 pm

I meant to vote yes oops~

Need pr0n np
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Darcler » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:22 pm

Yeah we'll 86 Trading.
We probably will keep R&F. We'll see.
A little store for buying shit with goats is probably going to be pushing it though. Hey Jay, where are your NT shirts that make girls show their boobies lol
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Granh » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:30 pm

pbpbb3 has been great for my guild's website. The feel is very similar to the previous phpbb's but with more toys. Not sure about the admin part, but from a user standpoint it's great. (after some bugs were worked out.)

Keeping the emotes yea? :mystery:
Kitty Litter for the Mind
Granh
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby leah » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:27 pm

araby wrote:I want an oompa loompa!

i want a golden goose!
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Jay » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:07 pm

Oh yeah, I still wanna do that. Ya know what, it'd be kinda cool if we had an official logo.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Next

Return to Board Feedback