what did I miss?

Questions, Comments, Or Complaints? Take Them Up With Management Here.

Moderator: Dictators in Training

what did I miss?

Postby araby » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:57 pm

google search bar and ads on the board? just wondering...
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: what did I miss?

Postby Tikker » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:14 pm

i don't see such a thing

maybe it's a style issue?
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:44 pm

Long story that I cannot comment on for a variety of reasons. I'll leave it to Gidan to comment to whatever degree he's going to, since he's the one who has the best grasp of all of the particulars.

-Arlos with Mod Hat On.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gidan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:53 pm

Its more or less a test, it only exists on the Sniper Blue theme. The banner will go away soon, though I will probably leave the search bar since it can actually be useful.

The banner is an attempt to generate a little $$ to help pay for the site. I was in a rush when I put it up and didn't have a chance to put something small and unobtrusive. In general, a very small amount is credited to me for every visit to one of the banners, as well as through the ads generated when using the search. I am trying to get an idea of how little it can make and in general it may just not be worth it. I only looked into it because a few people I work with actually generate enough revenue from them to pay for their entire server lease every month.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:03 pm

if you can find something that pays just to click it, let us know

cause really, rather than us paying for this (and by us I mean mostly you) if we can get teh advertisers to pay for it just by taking an extra 5 seconds once or twice a day to click, then hit back, seems like a no brainer

I also have zero issues with writing a macro that surfs all the ads at night while I sleep
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:20 pm

No no...you do that and it's pulled. IF you see something that interests you genuinely then click it. If not, don't.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:37 pm

how in the world could they possibly tell?

I'm not talking about clicking each ad like 20+ times a day
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby The Kizzy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:28 pm

oh, hrm... I thought the google add was a dig at Kinghooter. Not as cool this way.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:34 pm

Where's the link to donate? I don't see it on the sniper UI.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gidan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:17 pm

I need to write a new one, there currently isn't one. I pay for the account through my paypal account. If you want to donate, please feel free. The paypal account is under mmedoff@mgmcomp.com.

The way google ads work is that they look for patterns in add views. If they see something that looks unusual, they rack it up as an invalid click. To many invalid clicks = canceled account.

In general, I click on most ads, usually just to see the types of things google ads actually generates. I am looking for a way to get more content specific ads. Apparently Google can do that, I just havn't figured it out yet.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby 10sun » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:48 am

I misclick on these ads all the time because of the way I view pages & my mouse button functions.

My mouse 3 button turns on scrolling determined by movement of the mouse & it also opens links in new tabs. So when I scroll to the bottom, about it is about a 2 in 7 chance I'll hit the ad.

-Adam
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Return to Board Feedback