Tablet Wars

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Tablet Wars

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:54 am

Just gave away my iPad 2 to my sister in law's kid. In the market for a new tablet but I'm at a loss on what to get. I am a pretty casual user. I'd like to be able to get documents and spreadsheets, watch videos. I had to DL apps for the iPad to view word documents, which was fine.

Initially I had ruled out Windows tablets because Windows 8 is ass and Windows 8 apps suck but now there are Windows 8 tablets that have PC operating systems (as opposed to the watered down mobile ones) and come with full versions of MS Office. That allows installation of itunes and other stuff that I run on my PC now and allows for better networking (homegroup) between my PC, laptop and tablet. The Windows app store is seriously ass though... =\

Android tablet could be cool since it would be highly customizable. There's millions of apps and millions of apps and roms always in development. Lots of options but end of the day I'm a low end user and I'm not sure that Android wouldn't be a few more steps to get from point a to point b when all I need is internet, documents and spreadsheets, twitter, music and videos. Also, I have an Android phone now. I'm sure there's some sort of bonus to having 2 Android devices that I'm not thinking of right now.

I could always go back to the iPad and get one of the new ones. Not much in the way of customizing but I'm already used to it, can sync itunes and just go, and I would be able to imessage from it which would be nice since almost everyone I know is on an iphone. Also, Apple products being the proprietary turds that they are, the benefit from that is that everything runs really fast. My issues are the price point, lack of options and lack of networking capability. IPads are generally a big ripoff. It's also a lot more limited than the other 2 choices. Androids have options and a PC Windows tablet can have what a regular computer can have. Both Android and Windows have visible file systems I can access over a LAN with Androids LAN capabilities requiring some effort to setup because I'm not all that tech savvy. Imessage and itunes would make things way easier though.

Thoughts?
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: Tablet Wars

Postby 10sun » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm a big fan of Android products.
I never did end up getting a 10" tablet.
I still use my Nexus 7 almost daily.
Also using an Android htpc (Matricom GBox MX2) which is baller for what I need (XBMC, Netflix, & the occasional game) on my tv.
Chromecast as well on my tv.
Of course the phones (Droid Bionic w/ Webtop docking station).

and my Win7 desktop.

They all work well together.
Apps are cost effective & mostly robust.
I'd suggest doing a hands on to see how things feel in your hands and going from there.
Asus, Samsung, or Motorola are the top manufacturers in my experience with Motorola having the best build quality/feel.

Personally, there is no question about it. I'd buy an Android device before Windows or IOS.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Ganzo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:16 pm

I got a Nexus 10 the day it came out (I think it was last X-Mas) and still use it for hours every day. I have full Office on it, play games, watch TV, even watch all my videos from my home network through PLEX. I read on it, do all my web browsing, even posting this from it. Highly recommend it.

I had Nokia Lumia 928 phone which is basically same as Win8 tablet, and even though it was amazing, there were virtually no apps for it to do anything so i traded it in for iPhone 5S few weeks ago, so I would not recommend Windows tablet.
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Lyion » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:37 am

I'm a big fan of Ipads, but I also like the Kindle Fires. I have one I use for reading, and an HD <same size as an ipad mini> that really works nicely. Plus they do a free app of the day which is convenient. I've gotten dozens of really good apps from Amazon, and their store is really easy to use. Plus since I have prime I can watch free movies on it.

FYI, just use google docs on the ipad. It works great and saves all your docs for your PC, also.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:23 am

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:14 am

http://www.android-x86.org/

A guy at the Microsoft Store was talking about how he has this running on his Windows 8.1 tablet. He's gonna bring it in so I can check it out but if it is what he says it is then he has his windows tablet dual booting Win 8.1 and Android 4.3 which means I'm definitely gonna pick up a Windows 8.1 tablet. I'm really liking the Dell Venue 8 pro. The 8 inch tablet size is perfect and so far with several bug fixes since it's release date it seems to run very well. It's also pretty cheap (250 bucks).
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:07 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:24 pm

You're probably right however I have tons of excess space and why the fuck not?

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 am

Tikker wrote:jebus, I didn't even think of trying to run android on a windows box to be honest

that being said, I don't think i would ever boot into android if I had windows on the tablet

windows does everything

there is nothing out there, that windows cannot do

iOS, android, blackberry, etc are all subsets that can do some things

they don't do anything BETTER than windows (except boot up, maybe, but I can't remember the last time I ever rebooted anything anymore)

all they're doing is trying to recreate the windows experience on a smaller device

windows 8? i would say actually that windows is trying to become as user-friendly as iOS. windows XP could do everything, for sure. but windows phones and shit? they just look like they're trying to copy everything else at this point and desperately trying to stay in the game. are they actually sweet?
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:05 am

Drem wrote:
windows 8? i would say actually that windows is trying to become as user-friendly as iOS. windows XP could do everything, for sure. but windows phones and shit? they just look like they're trying to copy everything else at this point and desperately trying to stay in the game. are they actually sweet?

Windows mobile devices generally use more battery, run crappier, and have far more overhead than comparable IOS or Android devices. As a portable device they pretty much suck ass. Their phones suck compared to iphones in pretty much every way. The RT tablets get fire saled nonstop because the average consumer doesn't want them. I expect that to continue.

If I need to do something on Windows, I fire up my PC or laptop. Android and IOS do the tablet experience 1000% times better than Windows.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:30 pm

Surface Pro is awesome. Sold my Android tablet about 6 months ago and have barely touched my desktop machine since I got it.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jay » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:52 pm

Bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro and installed Android on it via SD card. I got the 32 gb version and I'll say I wished I'd gotten the 64 since the OS takes up over half the space. Bought an SD card so it's no longer an issue of space and so far I love it. Windows tablet dual booting android and had iTunes installed. Don't need much else.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:23 pm

Tossica wrote:Surface Pro is awesome. Sold my Android tablet about 6 months ago and have barely touched my desktop machine since I got it.

yeah i haven't booted up my computer in years aside from futile attempts to get back into EQ that last for a couple days. iPad and iPhone are all i need. and since my wife hogs the fucking shit out of the iPad, i just do all my browsing/work/youtubing on my phone and netflix on my xbox. haven't felt for one second that i need an android or windows device. they're really unpolished in comparison. and most arguments are null to me. i don't need a USB port on my iPad, i don't need to be able to emulate shit on my iPhone because i don't have time for games, etc etc
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:10 am

"Apps" are fucking stupid for the most part. Distractions and wastes of time.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:18 am

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:11 pm

they're ugly as fuck. i'm speaking strictly aesthetics here
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:36 am

I think it looks more like children's shit. but it's smooth and stable as a rock. compared to kim's awful droid razr maxx

the apple mapping program is shit. that's my only real gripe
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Android can look how you want it to look. The variations are endless. The Windows 8 tile system looks retarded but you can't beat a real pc OS on a quad core tablet. Ipads are certainly fun, but not as functional as a pc OS.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:52 pm

I don't want customization. Already explained why

Maybe it's finally caught up to iOS as far as smoothness and reliability, but i've spent so much money in itunes and on badass old video games that i'll probably never switch at this point. I also dont like how big new android phones are. I have an iphone 4s and think it's the best phone design. Perfect size. And a stout little fucker. i don't have any protection on it whatsoever, drop it a lot, carry it in pocket w/ keys, etc, and it has 0 scratches after two years. I think it's funny people have to buy otter boxes and screen covers. This shit is solid as a rock, would buy again
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:48 pm

THREAD NECROMANCY

I just got an incredible deal on a Surface Pro 3 (i7, 256gb HD, 8GB RAM).

Since the 4's are out, I figure I could get some kind of a deal on the 3. I see a thread on Craigslist for "the 256gb Surface" for 800 with keyboard cover so I go to check it out. The guy says his ex wife bought it for him and now he needs the money (I fuckin feel you bro). Check the PC info to verify specs, turns out it's an i7. I was like...ok man, I'm just gonna be honest and tell you that you could probably get at least 1100 for this. He says fuck it I'm already here. Got the i7 Surface pro 3 with kb cover for 800.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:08 pm

I've heard great things about them. I wish I could afford one now that my Laptop died. (Lenovo repairing it for free, even though the warranty expired. Good guy Lenovo!)
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:44 am

I stand by my original statement that Windows 'Tablets' suck ass. The Surface Pro (note, excluding the Atom one) ain't a tablet, and it kicks much ass. It's a real laptop replacement. I also really would love to nab a Surface Book with a dGPU.

That said the Ipad remains the best tablet for that style of usage, but total apples and oranges comparison. I wouldn't use a Surface Pro for reading or laying in bed and playing Angry Birds. I would however replace my work laptop while traveling with it.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:36 pm

True. I mean, the biggest "tablet" feature are the apps designed for it's OS such as Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and all that shit. The "apps" for a Surface Pro are just computer programs. It would be more tablet-like if the Windows App Store didn't suck so much ass.

It's got a great form factor and I like reading stuff on it so it's still a tablet to me but yeah, it's a laptop replacement for sure.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:55 pm

Can you install Steam and play all games just like a laptop?
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Next

Return to Tech Support