got a new laptop

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

got a new laptop

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:17 am

and I'm super excited about it so I wanted to share and get some feedback -- so far, I think it's a beast and that I got a pretty good deal. I'm also really liking windows 7.

here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6834114723

I got it for 650 (700 after tax and 5 bucks for a cute little ms wireless mouse to go with it) after some negotiations at hhgregg. thoughts on it? not really sure where Toshiba is standing in the laptop market, but for school I was just long overdue for a laptop and this one seemed awful pretty. It's wayyyy better than the desktop that I had (which I havent upgraded in a few years). I have 2 weeks to return it for whatever reason, so I figured why not check with you techies to see what you thought.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Re: got a new laptop

Postby 10sun » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:54 am

My mother got the same one a month or two back.

Opinions:
Heavy.
Short battery life.
Keyboard screws me up now that I'm used to laptop keyboards w/o the numpad.
Beastly video performance for a laptop.
Powercord sticks out a lot and is going to eventually wear out prematurely from constant bending.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby 10sun » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:55 am

oh and it runs HOT.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby leah » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:32 pm

OH i have one very similar to this only it's three years old :( but i've really liked it the whole time i've had it; my only complaint is that it came with vista but i was too lazy to go to xp or 7 so whatevs. i need a new one soon so i'm thinking of switching to a netbook. neither here nor there, though, so my point: it will treat you well, although adam is right about it being heavy. mine is a bit unwieldy, to say the least. but it played wow pretty well, all things considered!
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby leah » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:33 pm

oh yeah, and i paid probably twice what you did (maybe more) when i got mine three years ago. prices are crazy these days!
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:36 pm

10sun wrote:oh and it runs HOT.

This is actually why I went with the model that had the Intel Core 2 Duo rather than the AMD one because there were some similar models with the AMD.. I've heard about the AMD processors running really hot so I was hoping I could alleviate at least a little of that with the Intel -- so far, I haven't noticed an overwhelming heat problem -- honestly I thought it ran pretty coo (as in, its' been sitting in my lap for 2 hours and I barely notice a temperature change.. no more than I would with a large pillow in my lap), though maybe that will change after a while. The short battery life is something I considered, but really I'm not going to be lugging it around too much and the weight I kind of decided to deal with as I got it more as a desktop replacement.. I figure for a desktop replacement that can run some pretty intense games, I'll suck it up and deal with the 6.5 pounds. I considered the 18 inch one, but at 3 pounds heavier said f it =P totally agree with you on the keyboard thing -- I'm hoping I get used to it but right now it's super awkward.

This is my first laptop.. I just always assumed the power cords were bulky and easily wear-out-able? Considering we had to pay 100+ to replace the macbook's power cord when it burnt out (twice. once we got it for free.. I think they've fixed the design flaw that caused them to shit so quickly) I figure dealing with a significantly cheaper power cord might not be so bad.

but let me just add again how tickled I am with windows 7. seriously. so nice.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Return to Tech Support