Linux in a nutshell.

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Linux in a nutshell.

Postby Diekan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:04 pm

There seem to be a few posters here that have expressed interest in Linux. So, I though I’d take some time to create a post that will, hopefully, enlighten some of you and maybe even challenge you to try it. Below I have listed some questions and answers, some screen shots, and a brief comparison of Windows to Linux.

What is Linux?

Linux is an operating system developed by a Norwegian programmer named Linus Torvald. Linux is free and the source code is all 'open'. That is, any one can work on the Linux operating system and then post new code to improve it. This concept is known as 'Open Source'. IBM has adopted Linux as a standard.

There are many factors that make Linux different from Windows, but the most glaring, as far as I am concerned, is the evolution of both. Windows is written by programmers working toward a paycheck – they do it because they have to. Linux, on the other hand has been “written” by thousands upon thousands of people around the world – because they love doing it. Linux is an Open Source OS, which means that anyone can modify it anyway they wish – then redistribute it for anyone with an Internet connection to download. It’s constantly evolving for the better every year. While Windows stays, more or less, stagnate with the exception of the patches MS releases to correct this or that bug.

Will Linux run on my computer?

Linux will run on practically every type of personal computer you can image, including Macs. Like all other operating systems and software programs you’ll have to check the system requirements before installation. In the past, Linux was difficult to use because of a lack of device drivers needed by your hardware components to function. However, times have changed and the lack of drivers is no longer an issue. To give you an idea of the versatility of Linux, there are people who are working on a way to install it on their iPods.

Is Linux hard to install and configure?

In the distant past, yes, it was very difficult to install, configure and use. But, times have changed, thanks to the contributions of a worldwide network of gurus. Now, it’s easy (if not easier than Windows) to install. The configurations are completed during the installation process. There is little work you need to do, other than get a cup of coffee and wait. However, keep in mind that not all versions of Linux are alike. There are still some difficult distributions (requiring a certain degree of expertise) floating around, and there are some extremely user friendly versions as well – such as SUSE and Fedora.

Can I do everything in Linux that I can do in Windows

The short answer is pretty much yes. However, there are some programs and file types that you cannot run in Linux. For example: WMA music files… while Linux will play most types of music files, WMA is not one of them. But, all is not lost… you can easily convert your WMA files to MP3 format and play them in through a Linux media player. Games pose the most daunting challenge for Linux users. You can install a Windows emulator and play games like EQ on Linux, however, the last I heard, it’s difficult to configure. If you’re a serious gamer and new to Linux, it’s best to keep a small Windows partition on your HD and simply log into Windows on boot up to play your games. Other than that – you’ll have little use for your NTFS (Windows) partition.

Below is a list of programs you can install (most already come WITH the distribution) most people generally use on their computer.

Gaim – Is an instant messenger program that caters to all of the most popular programs. Through Gaim you use AOL AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, and MSN (just to name a few). A single program to manage ALL of you instant messaging.

Gimp – A Linux version of Photoshop. You can do everything with Gimp that you can do with Photoshop.

Open Office – A Linux version of MS Office. Comes complete with “Excel,” “Word,” “Paint,” and other “MS Office” utilities.

Kmail – Looks and feels just like Outlook Express.

Below is a screen shot of Gimp:

<center>Image</center>

A screen shot of “Excel” in Linux:

<center>Image</center>

Another screen shot, this of Kmail:

<center>Image</center>

What does a Linux desktop look like?

This is a screen shot of my desktop. As you can see it looks very much like a Windows desktop, which makes it extremely easy for people who've spent their computer lives using nothing by Windows:

<center>Image</center>

If you want to use Linux and Windows, you can in fact, have the best of both worlds. When you install Linux a seperate partition you can in fact see your Windows drives (but you can't see your Linux drive from Windows). Thus, if you want to access an MP3 file from your Windows partition, you simply open that drive, and click on the song you want.

Why would anyone choose Linux over Windows?

For one you won't ever have to deal with the "blue screen of death" ever again. Secondly, you won't have to deal with adware, spyware, viruses, or other malicious programs. Yes, they do exist for Linux as well, but they are very rare. Third, you'll have no worries about crashing. Linux simply doesn't crash. When you have a program in Windows crash, it can mean a complete lock up of your system - requiring a reboot. With Linux, you simply close out the program and keep moving.

You can also have as many "Desktops" in Linux as you want. Notice on the screen shot of my Desktop you see a small box in the tool bar labeled "1" and "2" - those represent the desktops I can use. I am only set up for 2, but can more if I need. Linux is extremely stable, but best of all - it's FREE.

And, when I say free - I mean just that. Let's take a moment to consider the costs of having a Windows machine, versus a Linux machine:

Windows XP - $99.99 (source Amazon.com)
Linux - Free

Window Office Pro - $414.99 (source Amazon.com)
Linux Open Office - Free

Adobe Photoshop 7.0 - $91.00 (source Amazon.com)
Linux Gimp - Free

Totals

Microsoft - $605.89
Linux - $0.00

For every product designed to run on Windows, there is a Linux version already availble and free of charge. If none exists, you can be assured that something is in development. Consider iTunes. Many people (including myself) own an iPod, but cannot use the iTunes jukebox in Linux - however - a company is already in the process of testing a Linux version of iTunes Read More.

Linux is also EXTREMELY customizable. The option of "choice" is something that's lacking in Windows, but highly embraced in Linux.

Keep in mind, however, that (as with everything) you'll have to do some reading about Linux before you being to customize your installation. It's NOT Windows, and if Windows is all you've ever used you'll have to learn about your new OS. There are tons of differences, for example: Linux does not use drive letters (C: / D: so on). Before you install programs you must be logged in as "root" (the equivalent of "administrator" in Windows). Navigating around Linux is also very different from Windows - although you can point and click your way around - you'll have to learn "what's what" first.

Linux has really come a long way - and if you're the least bit interested in using it. Try it. See how easy it really is, and I'd be willing to bet that after you do, you'll be very hard pressed to go back to Windows.
Last edited by Diekan on Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gidan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:41 pm

Cedega is very easy to install these days. As long as you have recent drivers for your video card and have X setup it can be done in no time. transgaming has released point2play which makes it even easier.

Download it from their website (This is not free but $15 for 3 months is more then worth it, they need the $$ to keep the products comming and updated).

They are downloadable in RPM, Deb and tgz types so any RMP, debain or tgz based systems can easily install it by running the install scrpit. From that points its extremely easy. Follow the instructions in the program, it will install the games and give you the iconn in the program itself to run it. The install scripts to do all the work.

I was able to install slackware (1 of if not the hardest to configure distros), setup X and without having to set up anthing else. I was able to run the install script and install Everquest and WoW. Both work great.

Linux is not overly hard to use, it just has a learning curve and even that is going away with Distos like Suse and Fedora. They are getting more like windows every day, almost all configureations are done throguh a GUI and you could easily run one of these without ever needing to use a terminal window or knowing a single linux command.

I do recomend a low overhead windowmanager like blackbox for gammers but if nifty menus and icons are for you, KDE and Gnome are great but will slow your graphics down a bit.
Last edited by Gidan on Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:43 pm

Mr Bittorrent disagrees with you on winex being free. ;)
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Downloads

Postby Diekan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:48 pm

You can either download the CD, or the DVD version for most of the distributions I have linked below.

<center>Fedora 3</center>

<center>Debian</center>

<center>SUSE 9.2</center>

<center>Gentoo</center>

<center>Mandrake</center>

<center>Red Hat</center>

You can find simple directions for installation through a quick "google" search.

Downloadable programs for your Linux installation:

<center>Free Stuff</center>

If you wish to dual boot (meaning at the boot up of your computer you will be asked if you wish to boot into Windows or Linux) - you can intall Linux on a partition that does NOT have your Windows OS files (Windows directory). SUSE will ask you during the installation if you wish to install on the "entire disk" or a certain partition. Simply select the partition you want dedicated to SUSE and it will install only on that partition leaving your Widows drive untouched. When you are finished with the installation and reboot - you will be prompted to choose between booting into Windows, or Linux... and you will be presented with the same prompt every time you start / reboot your machine.

If you do not wish to download and burn your distribution of choice, you can go to any book store and pick up a copy of a Linux magazine and get a free disk. To install from that disk, simply go into your BIOS and change the book sequence so that the CD / DVD ROM is read first. When the machine boots up you'll get the installation prompt from the Linux disk, simply follow the directions of the prompts.

If you decide to use SUSE and you're connected to the net via cable modem and have a dynamic IP address, you'll have to do nothing during the installation, or after, to be able to access the Internet. SUSE will make the needed configurations during install.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gidan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:18 pm

There is also <a href="http://www.knoppix.org/" target=_blank>Knoppix</a> This is a linux distro you can boot right off the CD and run a fully usable linux OS. There is a full description of it on the site. Make sure you click the US/British flag to translate the site to english. Great way to see linux without doing anything to your box.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Terminology

Postby Diekan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:29 pm

For the beginning Linux user, there are some terms that you'll have to understand. Below, I have listed and defined some of the most common terms that you'll have to deal with as a new user.

bin - A directory that contains executable programs. When you install or look for an already installed program - the "bin" is where you'll find them.

Command Prompt - Servers essentially the same function as "Run" from the start menu of Windows. Allows you to execute files by typing the file name, then hitting enter.

Distribution - A packaging of the Linux Kernel that contains the user interfaces, drivers and utilities. Think of SUSE, Mandrake, Red Hat, and so on as that "distribution." When someone asks you which distro you use - they are asking what *version* of Linux you are using.

GNOME - See KDE below.

Gzip - A file compression program. It is used to reduce transfer time and save space on your drive.

Kernel - This the very core of the OS from which everything relies upon. The Kernel manages user access, memory allocation, the sharing of resources, low level hardware interaction, security, and input/output. It's the most important part of the entire OS, without it, you have nothing.

KDE - K Desktop Environment this what you "see" when you're looking at the desktop screen. The GUI (graphical user interface) from which you work. There are many different desktop environments, but KDE and Gnome are the two most popular. Giving the OS a "Windows" like feel, that most new users perfer.

LILO - LInux LOader. A floppy that allows you to boot into other operating systems. However, for SUSE and Fedora you'll not need a boot disk. I believe LILO is obsolete, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Root Operator - The Linux version of "Administrator" in Windows. Allows you to install, configure / do anything while logged in as "root."

Shell Prompt - The "DOS" prompt of Linux.

Slash (/) - Used for file pathnames... the same as the "\" in Windows.

Tux - Favorite bird of all Linux users - and enemy to one William Gates.

I'll be adding more definitions in time... the above are the most common "terms" you'll encounter when using Linux for the first time.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Narrock » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:34 pm

I've never used the Linux OS, but it sounds pretty cool actually.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gidan » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:16 am

Lilo is not obsolete, it is still the primary boot loader for distros such as Slackware. It also does not need to be used on a floppy. It can also be run from a MBR (Master Boot Record), or from a bootable partition on your computer. Many people think it is obsolete because it does not default to a GUI screen. Its default look is very old school graphics that you would have seen in old dos/unix based programs. However there is a GUI for it if you want to set it up. I works just as well as the other boot loaders though in my optionion is far easier to configure if you understand the structure of the config file.

Other small things

Binary = Bin, Very often you will hear people refering to needing the binarys for a program, that means they are looking for the executable file that will run it. For games such as UT, there was very little difference between the Windows and Linux versions. The difference was the binary you used to execute the program. It installed off the same CD using the same files.

also to add to the root section. Root = God. This is far more then just the admin of the computer. There is nothing root can not do. In windows, the OS will not allow even teh Admin to change certain things that only the windows OS itself can touch. Linux is not that way, root can do anything it wants. In windows there is really nothing wrong with using teh admin user as your every day login. However in linux, its very undesirable to be logged in as root for everyday things.

SU - This is the superuser command. Using this will prompt you for a password. This is your root password. Correctly entering the password will give you root access to the computer until you type exit which will put you back to your regular user.

Bash - This is a very common shell.

xterm, rterm - 2 very common terminal windows

./ - Your current directory. Many distros will not allow you to run a program my simply typeing the name of the program if your in the same directory as it, you are required to give its directory and name in relation to you.

Also a small random fact, Anyone that is running Mac OSX, your actually running linux you just dont realize it. Mac OSX was build on linux and if you get to a terminal window you would see what a linux terminal window would be like. I dont know macs and couldn't even begin to tell you where that is though.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

10 Reasons to Switch to Linux

Postby Diekan » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:06 pm

Below is a quote I happened across that gives you 10 very good reasons to switch to Linux, or at least try it.

1. It Doesn't Crash

Linux has been time-proven to be a reliable operating system. Although the desktop is not a new place for Linux, most Linux-based systems have been used as servers and embedded systems. High-visibility Web sites such as Google use Linux-based systems, but you also can find Linux inside the TiVo set-top box in many livingrooms.

Linux has proved to be so reliable and secure that it is commonly found in dedicated firewall and router systems used by high-profile companies to secure their networks. For more than ten years, it has not been uncommon for Linux systems to run for months or years without needing a single reboot.

2. Viruses Are Few and Far Between

Although it is possible to create a virus to target Linux systems, the design of the system itself makes it very difficult to become infected. A single user could cause local damage to his or her files by running a virus on his or her system; however, this would be an isolated instance rather than something could spread out of control.

In addition, virtually all Linux vendors offer free on-line security updates. The general philosophy of the Linux community has been to address possible security issues before they become a problem rather than hoping the susceptibility will go unnoticed.

3. Virtually Hardware-Independent

Linux was designed and written to be easily portable to different hardware. For the desktop user, this means that Linux has been and likely always will be the first operating system to take advantage of advances in hardware technology such as AMD's 64-bit processor chips.

4. Freedom of Choice

Linux offers freedom of choice as far as which manufacturer you purchase the software from as well as which application programs you wish to use. Being able to pick the manufacturer means you have a real choice as far as type of support you receive. Being open-source software, new manufacturers can enter the market to address customer needs.

Choice of application programs means that you can select the tools that best address your needs. For example, three popular word processors are available. All three are free and interoperate with Microsoft Word, but each offers unique advantages and disadvantages. The same is true of Web browsers.

5. Standards

Linux itself and many common applications follow open standards. This means an update on one system will not make other systems obsolete.

6. Applications, Applications, Applications

Each Linux distribution comes with hundreds and possibly thousands of application programs included. This alone can save you thousands of dollars for each desktop system you configure. Although this is a very small subset, consider that the OpenOffice.org office suite is included as well as the GIMP, a program similar to (and many people
say more capable than Adobe Photoshop); Scribus, a document layout program similar to Quark Xpress; Evolution, an e-mail system equivalent to Microsoft's Outlook Express; and hundreds more.

For the more technically inclined, development tools, such as compilers for the C, C++, Ada, Fortran, Pascal and other languages, are included as well as Perl, PHP and Python interpreters. Editors and versioning tools also are included in this category.

Whether you are looking for Instant Messaging clients, backup tools or Web site development packages, they likely are all included within your base Linux distribution.

7. Interoperability

More and more computers are being connected to networks. No system would be complete if it did not include tools to allow it to
interoperate with computers running other operating systems. Once
again, Linux is very strong in this area.

Linux includes Samba, software that allows Linux to act as a client on
a Microsoft Windows-based network. In fact, Samba includes server
facilities such that you could run a Linux system as the server for a group of Linux and Windows-based client systems.

In addition, Linux includes software to network with Apple networks
and Novell's Netware. NFS, the networking technology developed on UNIX systems also is included.

8. It's a Community Relationship, Not a Customer Relationship

Other operating systems are the products of single vendors. Linux, on
the other hand, is openly developed, and this technology is shared
among vendors. This means you become part of a community rather
than a customer of a single manufacturer. Also, the supplier community easily can adjust to the needs of various user communities rather than spouting a "one size fits all" philosophy.

This means you can select a Linux vendor that appears to best address your needs and feel confident that you could switch vendors at a later time without losing your investment--both in terms of costs and learning.

9. It's Not How Big Your Processor Is...

Because of a combination of the internal design of Linux and development contributions from a diverse community, Linux tends to be more frugal in the use of computer resources. This may manifest itself in a single desktop system running faster with Linux than with another operating system, but the advantages go far beyond that. It is possible, for example, to configure a single Linux system to act as a terminal server and then use outdated hardware as what are called thin clients.

This server/thin client configuration makes it possible for older, less powerful hardware to share the resources of a single powerful system thus extending the life of older machines.

10. Linux Is Configurable

Linux is a true multi-user operating system. Each user can have his or her own individual configuration all on one computer. This includes the look of the desktop, what icons are displayed, what programs are started automatically when the user logs in and even what language the desktop is in.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Video Players

Postby Diekan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:30 pm

Per Lyion's suggestion I installed mplayer. A VERY nice media player that does in fact play wmv files (windows media files).

I found a very easy way to do this... below I have listed the step by step way to do so:

At the bottom left corner of your screen:

Open the control center.

Select YaST (at this point you should be asked to input your root password, unless you've already selected the option to "remember it.")

Select Software

Select Change Installation Source

Select Add

Select http

Type packman.iu-bremen.de in the first field

Type suse/9.2 in the second field

Do NOT add "http://" or "/" before either of the commands above.

Select Finish

Now, go back to YasT and select Software

Select Install and Remove Software.

Type mplayer in the search field.

Select "Search"

When the options are shown in the window on the right - select them all and click "Accept."

When it's finished... you're done.

Then you can open you Windows drives and play your Windows media files.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Diekan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:50 pm

Below is a must read article for those of you thinking about linux. It's fairly long, but VERY informative.

http://www.flexbeta.net/main/printarticle.php?id=70
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Lyion » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:52 am

http://www.linuxworld.com/story/49062.htm

Very good Linux on Laptop article. It appears SUSE is king for laptops at this point in time.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:08 am

Yeah, my article seemed to favor SuSE too...
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gidan » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:22 am

Gentoo and Slackware have amazing results on a laptop but you need to do the configureing yourself. If your looking at configure on install products nothing is going to beat SuSE on a laptop. Fedora is a close second though.

For the very experienced I always recomend gentoo or slackware, both have their strengths.

For those new to linux, always Fedora or SuSE. Fedora for desktops and SuSE for laptops.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Installing LimeWire on Suse

Postby Diekan » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:03 pm

I had to do some searching and reading, but finally figured out how to get it up and running.

If you run SuSE 9.2 you'll have to first download and install j2re (a Sun Microsystems application).

You can download it from:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Once you have it downloaded, log into root and bring up your terminal.

In your terminal type the following commands:

cd /usr/local (you can use other directories, but I chose local).

chmod a+x j2re-1_4_1_07-linux-i586.rpm.bin (you must type the entire path in order to preform this task) This will change the permissions so that you can execute the file.

/j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin - This will start the installation process. Remember to include the entire path of the file.

You're finished when you see "Done" at the bottom of your terminal.

You can then install Limewire from:

http://www.limewire.com/LimeWireSoftLinux

Once you've downloaded it - you can click on the file and install it with YaST.

It's as simple as that. Again, it took me a little time to figure it out, but once I did - it took all of 5 minutes to complete the task and installation.

No adware, no spyware, no viruses...

As you can see it's the same format you've gotten used to through your Winsux OS

http://img93.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img93&image=lime6ro.jpg

p.s 1 more application to get up and going and I'll never need Windows again.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

iPod Users

Postby Diekan » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:16 pm

woohoo! Looks like there's light at the end of the iPod tunnel after all.

http://www.ardistech.com/hfsplus/
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Stabfase » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:41 am

Im thinking of switching to SuSe, just need to find out if Warcraft 3, WoW, Ventrilo, and i think thats about all i use, save foobar for music, WMP for a movie on occasion, you think i'll be able to switch and still be able to use all of those?
Stabfase
NT Bixie
NT Bixie

Location: billywitchdoctor.com. One Convenient Locations. In Africa.

Postby Tikker » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:04 am

Ventrilo doesn't have a linux client yet, altho they claim that it's in the work

winX or whatever, does support WoW
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Diekan » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:16 am

There's a program called winex that can be used to handle your "Windows only" needs. I'm in the process now getting it installed and running. Once I do, I'll post a How To here for those who want to try Linux.

Right now though I am working on getting my iPod to work.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gidan » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:29 pm

You will have no problems at all running WoW or Warcraft 3. The music and such will also be very easy.

As for ventrilo, the company itself is whats stopping it from working well in linux. Many people have written clients for it and they keep threatening with lawsuits to stop them from releasing them.

You can however get the windows version to run using cedega and Point2Play. There is a detailed walkthrough here, http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 1/1/251300

Cedega and Point2Play are both easy to setup. When I get home tonight I can post a quick walkthrough.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Ginzburgh » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:25 pm

Gimp – A Linux version of Photoshop. You can do everything with Gimp that you can do with Photoshop.

Totally incorrect. Photoshop CS >> Gimp. There is no vanishing tool on Gimp, there is no bandaid tool either. Also the pen tool totally sucks on Gimp in comparison to Photoshop. There isn't even a file viewing window...that came with PS 7...

Gimp is a VERY VERY ghetto version of photoshop.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gidan » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:46 pm

Gimp is no wheres near as powerful as Photoshop. But then again Photoshot is $600 and Gimp is Free. If your not doing anything huge, Gimp works great. If you need Photoshop for somthing then more then likely you will have it anyway.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Stabfase » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:06 pm

So would you all suggest I use SuSe or Fedora 3? I figure my choice is between those since it was said they are the most user friendly and me having no linux knowledge yet, i'll use either as a stepping stone and switch later if need be.
Stabfase
NT Bixie
NT Bixie

Location: billywitchdoctor.com. One Convenient Locations. In Africa.

Postby Lyion » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:37 pm

Just create separate /home and / directories and you can always blow away whatever distro you are using and still keep all your personal files and programs.

Also, if you have an older PC SUSE or mandrake seems to be a tad friendlier than Fedora Core.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:05 pm

Nerds.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Next

Return to Tech Support