The Passion

Let's throw things at them!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Postby Narrock » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:31 pm

Any so-called Christian that reads from the NIV should stop going to church... stop calling themselves Christian and just accept Satan as their true lord and master. Seriously... how can you read and trust something translated by man when your very Bible strictly prohibits this? They did a *lot* more than change the thy's and thou's to 'common' pronouns... they twisted many controversial verses, made the Bible less contradictory and ironed out any theological wrinkles they could find. Who gave them the right to fuck with God's(my) word?

Show me proof of this claim Vonk. And by proof I don't mean a cut & paste of a google search you did for "NIV changes the bible" websites written by some kook. NIV did exactly what you said they didn't just do... to remove and replace pronouns to make it easier to read. They did not remove anything other than that. We have three different Bibles here and they all say the same thing, except for a couple different words which change no meaning whatsoever.

At least the Catholics Mormons believe that God(I) gave them the right =p. You can't even fall back on 'faith' this time... or, do you believe the committee of ten 'NIV translators' were Called by God? You NIV people say that it's alright for someone to go to school for 6 years, pass a fairly easy course (all History/Mythology curriculums are a joke), graduate with a degree in "theology" (haw!) and then go about altering the gospels. A course... taught by man... teaching doctrine that was invented by man... changing the word that you believe came from God. That's fucked up.

The fact that Catholics and Mormons believe that God gave them the right to change, add, or preach anything other than what is in the Bible, should throw up a huge red flag for anybody. And if you think that getting a PhD in Theology is a just a walk in the park, then that shows me what little you know about it. (That, or you have a 250IQ and any university curricula is a joke to you).

I have a much better time hearing the Mormons and Catholics say, "well, I have faith that our prophet/pope speaks to God and was ordained and given permission to change the scripture." But, you don't even get the 'faith' card... do you have a spiritual faith connection with Baylor's Theology program? You realize that they also teach Hindu?

I guess they also teach child-molestation at a Catholic ordainment. I wouldn't trust those bastards are far as I can throw them. Over 4,000 Catholic "priests" have been officially charged with "lewdness with a minor child" charge, and that number is growing. The Roman Catholic Church is nothing more than a Satanic cult. I've never even heard of Baylor's, so that tells me something about them. If I were to get a degree in Theology I'd either go to Westmont, PUC, SAU, or Andrew's University... all well-known for their theological degree programs.

Mindia wrote:
They don't teach any weird doctrine or outlandish and far-fetched ideas.

That's because they are taught by a bunch of pussies. Take a stand you lazy motherfucker! Preach how YOU believe the Bible intended it... I swear... there must be pamphlets on how to teach in a 'politically-correct' world. Oh boo hoo... we don't know the mysteries of the Bible because it's just too deep for us... so, just believe in it. Are people of African descent 'cursed' by the punishment of Cain? Yes? Whoops, there goes half your congregation... better go back and read the 'How to be a pussy non-denominational pastor' booklets.

THEY DO TAKE A STAND! If anything, they are the new Martin Luthers of the world. I will explain to you momentarily how incredibly wrong the Catholics are, and how the non-denominational Christian churches go against the grain of the largest religion in the world.

Non-Denominational Christian churches are a complete contradiction. They either believe what the Pastor's personal interpretation of the Bible or they read from the same 'pussy preacher' manual as the supposed 'non-denominational' church down the street. It seems to me that Christ set a VERY CLEAR set of rules to follow... Baptism by immersion... sacrament blessed and sanctified... repentance of sins... faith AND works needed to reach heaven... central figure at the head of the church... goat sacrifices... etc. Why do people have to throw such bullshit ideas like "We can't dance," or "we can't go to Doctors" into the mix?

They are not a complete contradiction. Have you even been inside a non-denominational Christian church and listened to the sermon? They teach only what Jesus taught. No additions. No subtractions. No ommissions. And definitely no turning or twisting of Biblical fact. They teach that you must accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, that you should get a full-immersion baptism, to admit to God that you are a sinner and to ask for forgiveness. I don't know which denominations you're talking about in regards to not being able to dance or go to doctors.
Here's my church: http://www.lakesidechurch.com They are non-denominational. Show me, in their beliefs, that they stray from what Jesus taught. Then while you're at it, go to http://www.http://www.seventh-dayadventist.org ... index.html and show me where the Adventists stray from what Jeus teaches us. I added this one because we worship there on the Sabbath too.

Basically, you say that you have 'issues' with the JW's, Catholics and Mormons. I would answer that you probably know less about these three faiths than Leadaira knows about politics. If you followed your own advice and took the time to learn about these sects, you'd probably walk away with a lot more respect than you currently have for them.

I'll start with why I have a problem with the Catholics. First of all, I have to state that I think many, many Catholics are like blind sheep who never even open a Bible and read it. They just go because they born into it, and it's their tradition to attend church every Easter and Christmas. If you are well-versed with the Bible then you would know that the Roman Catholic church doctrine teaches "extra-Biblical" idealogies. Let's start with the Nicene Creed. It all sounds good up until the line, "We believe in the Holy Catholic Church." STOP! Jesus is the only one who is Holy. A church is not Holy. I've been to a Catholic Mass with friends on about 5 or 6 occaisions. I've witnessed their form of Baptism. They baptize by pouring water over your head. And I'm not talking about infant dedication. I'm talking about full-grown adults bent over backwards over a bowl while the "priest" pours water over their head in 3 separate pourings... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. The Bible teaches full body immersion baptism. To the best of my knowledge, and from what I've personally witnessed, they do not do that. The Roman Catholic church changed the true Bible Sabbath worship day (sundown Friday to sundown Saturday) to Sunday. They do this to honor the resurrection of Christ. A grand gesture for sure, but there again... God did not say to worship on that day. He said to remember the Sabbath Day, and to keep it Holy. It's very black and white. Then they teach all this Mariology and they also bow down and pray to sculptures of Mary. The Bible clearly states "Do not worship any idols." What's a Catholic church full of? That's right... idols and sculptures of Mary holding the infant Jesus. Once again, a grand gesture, but it goes AGAINST what the Bible teaches. Now let's talk about confession. The Catholics believe that you can do whatever you want, and then go to confession and you're automatically absolved of your sins. Who gave a "priest" the right to take the form of God, momentarily, to listen to the sins of a person and absolve them in a little booth? Nobody. God certainly didn't authorize this blasphemous act. The Bible states to confess your sins to God. You do this through prayer while having a one-on-one conversation with God, not through some "priest."
How about the Pope? Pope Shmope. The Pope believes that he has the authority to take on the roll of Jesus in the modern day. Yes, he actually believes he is the living the life of Christ. What a moron. Show me in the Bible where it says that in the future, a man will be authorized to emulate the Christ Jesus. On the contrary, the Bible says that there will come many false prophets. The Pope fits this description of a false prophet like a hand to a glove. Now about communion... A non-Catholic church knows that communion is symbolic and is in remembrance of the Last Supper and Jesus' last evening with His disciples. Catholics believe that the "priest" is actually converting the wafer (which is actually suppposed to be bread, not some little disc that melts as soon as hits your tongue) into the body of Christ, and that the wine is converted into the actual blood of Christ. Even more BLASPHEMY. Another thing I'd like to point out about the Catholics is their belief in purgatory. The Bible says absolutely nothing about a "purgatory" or anything of the sort. Once again, when you're dead you're dead. That's it. Once you die you remain in that state of unconsciousness until the second coming of Christ when He comes again to judge the living and the dead. This is clearly taught in the Bible. (Ecclesiates 9:5, Psalms 146:3-4, John 11:11-14, Col 3:3-4, 1 Corinth 15:51-54, Thess. 4:13-17, John 5:28, 29, Rev. 20:1-10.) I think that Catholic people have their hearts in the right place, but they are walking on thin ice with all their "extra-Biblical" (meaning, not in the Bible) beliefs and acts. The Roman Catholic church is arrogant. Couple this arrogancy with their practices = a very misleading and dangerous cult. I believe the antichrist will arise out of the Catholic church some time in the near future. They are well on their way already.

Now about the Mormons. When Jesus rose again on the third day He stuck around for 40 days and continued to teach the disciples and empowered them with the gift of tongues so they may go out amongst the different lands and preach the gospel to the people of those lands in their own native tongue. He also empowered them with the Holy Spirit to continue miraculous signs and works to all who believe in Him. Mormons believe that when Jesus rose again, that He went to the Americas. Funny how there's nothing about that in the Bible. If He was to go to the Americas to teach He most certainly would have informed His disciples about that. And who was in the Americas 2000 years ago? Native Americans. Did they believe in Jesus? No. They believed in many different Gods. There's kind of proof right there that Jesus didn't go to the Americas to teach. I have a friend who is a mormon, and he tells me about what goes on in some of those rooms within a mormon temple. The LDS church is nothing but another cult. They talk to the dead through a live person. This is a satanic act, and is most certainly not authorized in the Bible. Joseph Smith and Brigham Young are two of the most misleading and twisted individuals who walked the planet over the last couple hundred years. I will open my Bible and go toe-to-toe with any Mormon and prove that their practices and the "Book of Mormon" are nothing but blasphemous. You think I should have respect for the Mormons and the Catholics? You're on glue my friend.

Also... I would bet that 99% of every 18 year old Mormon knows the Bible a hell of a lot better than almost any other 18 year old out there =p. Try winning a bible-bash with a Mormon. If they are willing participants (instead of the common: pussy turn-the-other-cheek faggotry), they'll likely stomp you into the ground. You gain respect for these people not only for their knowledge of the Bible... but their knowledge of their OWN faith. Probably less than 10% of the average Catholic and 5% of every Baptist would know the difference between David and Joseph. Mormons keep up with that history, plus their own Book of Mormon history =p. Ask a Mormon what he believes in, boom... he tells you. Ask a Baptist what makes him different from a Presbyterian and he'll probably start crying.

Bring forth any mormon to this board... I don't care if he/she is 18 or 80. I will prove they are full of crap and we'll see who will stomp who into the ground with Biblical fact.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Metranon » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:06 pm

we'll see who will stomp who into the ground with Biblical fact.

for being such a devoted christian, you aren't very compassionate, stomping mormons into the ground and putting out joints on hippies' foreheads
Metranon
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Narrock » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:15 pm

Metranon wrote:
we'll see who will stomp who into the ground with Biblical fact.

for being such a devoted christian, you aren't very compassionate, stomping mormons into the ground and putting out joints on hippies' foreheads

Vonk said that I was the one who would get stomped into the ground by a Mormon. I was just responding to that humorous statement.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Muglack » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:57 pm

Mindia I want you to do something for me. Get on the phone and call 15 of your closest friends. All congregate in a room. Go to another room and call in one of your friends. Tell them something that is at least 3 sentences long. Walk out and send in the next person. Rinse and repeat. Once every has gone, go back in yourself and tell the last person to tell you what they were told.

You know what you're gonna hear? This person is gonna tell you something that isn't even CLOSE to what you told the original person. Now add to that countless translations where entire nuances of languages are lost. The fact of the matter is if you can't do something simple like pass on an English phrase within a 10 minute period but you're 100% behind a book that has been around for almost 2000 years and has changed more times then anyone would care to admit. Add to that the fact that people didn't start writting stuff down until almost 200 years later and there's even more room for discrepency.
Muglack
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby vonkaar » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:04 pm

1. You are sinning. Anything you say in this thread can't be taken seriously because you are a poor example for a Christian. You are judging MILLIONS of people and that's hardly Christ-like. I would like another pseudo-Christian to represent your faith because your blatant disregard for one of Christs most important lessons is insulting to the 'real' Christians of the board. Would you listen to Hitler preaching about human rights?

2. Is your pastor paid? I didn't even have to click on your fucking link to point out where your church is 'wrong'. "Neither purse, nor script." Hmm... what kind of car does he drive, by the way?

3. Why would it be wrong for Mormons and Catholics to believe that their leaders speak to God? Do you not believe in modern-day revelation? Why do you pray then?

4. Mormons and Christ visiting the Americas:
See modern-day revelation. If you can't accept this, then you will never understand why they can believe this. Paul said that if all the works of Christ were written down, there would be more books than there are sands in the ocean. The Mormons believe that the Book of Mormon is 'another testament' of Jesus Christ. Jesus said to his crew, "And there are other sheep(men), that are not of this fold... they must I also bring and it will be one herd, with one shepherd." Mormons believe that this was referring to the Native Americans. Why is this so controversial? The Bible is chock full of references that Christ did all sorts of things that aren't recorded in those books.

Which... leads me to another point. How can you put faith in a book that may or may not have been directly inspired? MEN decided which books to include in both Old and New testaments. MEN who lived hundreds of years after the death of Christ... Song of Soloman was left in, but Ecclesiasticus was dropped?? Even some of the more "famous" books like Proverbs and Ezekial were narrowly VOTED in. How the FUCK can you put stock in something with so many errors?

THE ONLY ANSWER YOU HAVE IS FAITH. IF that's the case, HOW THE FUCK can you justify your judging the Mormons when they have the exact same answer: FAITH?? They have FAITH that their leader is a prophet. You have FAITH that the corrupt Jewish POLITICIANS that decided to keep Proverbs were called by God. Fine, I can't argue Faith. But YOU seem quite comfortable with that.

5. NIV vs KJ:
One of the most important gospel verses on DIVINE PRESERVATION of the Bible. Why oh WHY would the NIV commitee change such a potentially controversial verse? Psalm 12:7
KJ: "Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever." The first "Them" refers to the Word of God.
NIV: O LORD , you will keep us safe and protect us from such people forever." How the fuck am I supposed to get 'gospel' from the word "us" ???

What else... That was the biggest one, QUITE controversial if you ask me... but, I'll continue.
The name "Jesus" was taken away from probably 30 verses throughout the New Testament. Oddly enough, this was done to satisfy (sell more books to) those that disagree with the Trinity. Weird, no? Examples:
Mat 8:29, Mat 15:30, Mat 16:20, Mat 17:11, Mat 17:20, Mat 18:2, Mat 24:2, Mark 6:34, Mark 11:14, John 4:16, John 8:20...

examples, full text:
Mat 8:29
KJ: "And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?"
NIV: "What do you want with us, Son of God?" they shouted. "Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?"

1 Timothy 3:16
KJ: "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh"
NIV: "Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great: He appeared in a body, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory."

Whoah... so now it could either be Jesus, or God... or both, if you believe in the Trinity. Hell, it could be Joe the Carpenter Trainee (redeemer alternate) for all we know...

Look up the others if you want more proof... seems like the NIV commitee is trying to ride both sides of the Trinitarianism fence... no? It seems a little crazy how you said that believing in ANYTHING short of a perfect 3-person-in-one Godhead is anti-Christian, yet the book you read from (HAHAHA, God(me) this is funny) almost blatantly disagrees with you?

Yes, I was told this a long time ago... so.. even though it's funny, it's not original (by my research, that is).

The NIV takes away Jesus' sinlessness... pretty fucking funny.

Mat 5:22...
KJV: "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment..."
NIV: "But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment..."
And then you read in Mark 3:5, "He(Christ) looked around at them in anger..."
Since the NIV removed the "without cause", sinning is sinning is sinning. Christ sinned.

Seriously... you came to this fight unprepared. You honestly had no idea that the NIV was so chock full of shittiness... you are judging others(sinning) and I can pull that card on you... you opened the door on modern revelation... I've hardly even needed to touch on the innacuracies and contradictions in The Bible. Bring Kuwen back, this was a lot more fun with him =/.

Faith... stick with it and I can't argue.
Last edited by vonkaar on Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby vonkaar » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:05 pm

Also, the fact that you've never heard of the second biggest Baptist university in the US sorta invalidates your entire post.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Muglack » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:23 pm

Btw, I have theological proof that God is one twisted son of a bitch, has a great sense of humor, and is probably the biggest asshole that ever exsisted. And for that, I love him.
Muglack
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby vonkaar » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:39 pm

Actually, the biggest asshole is Bruce Bowen of the San Antonio Spurs. Otherwise, you are right... I am an ass.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Muglack » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:46 pm

I mean think about. God is Omnipotent and Omniscient. He knows everything that is going to happen, he knows everything that did happen, and he's all powerful to boot. Taking strictly from the Bible when he created Adam and Eve he knew they'd eat the apple, he knew the Asp would trick them, and he knew he would banish them from Paradise. What did he do? He put them there anyways. God knew if he created Humans we would kill eachother, there would be suffering, and that in the grand scale of things life in general for most of us would suck pretty hard. What did he do? He put us down here anyways, maybe to laugh at us, maybe because he just likes seeing people suffer, who knows, but he did it.

He's like your average 12 year old boy that goes and collects ants, spiders, and any other lesser creature he can find, puts them all in a small container and watches them fight, and then giggles his ass off. The kid knew what would happen, and he did it anyways just for the laugh. As far as I'm concerned if I came face to face with God we'd probably get along pretty well.

"How about them crusades?"

"Meh I was bored, noone was around, I figured what the hell."
Muglack
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Menelvir » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:51 pm

vonkaar wrote:Actually, the biggest asshole is Bruce Bowen of the San Antonio Spurs.

Can you provide a link to support this claim? I haven't been paying
attention to the sports news, so I know little about it.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby brinstar » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:31 pm

Mindia wrote:Mariology

sorry, couldn't resist

i am enjoying this thread immensely, though i do have one small comment to address to mindia:

your lamentations on the idiocies of the Roman Catholic Church are certainly not without merit

but listen to me: you CAN'T know that the bible your church uses WASN'T twisted around, edited, or otherwise altered by the Roman Catholic Church. if originals still exist (unlikely), they're probably the ones that have them. your bible is just another version of theirs, because i'm betting lakeside church doesn't have any original scrolls (and Pastor Bob probably couldn't read them if he saw them anyway).
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:04 pm

I'll start by responding to your paragraphs in numerical order.

1. Yes, I was sinning and being judgmental. I was proving a point. That doesn't make me any less of a Christian than anybody else. We sin constantly in thought, word, and deed. But we have a forgiving God. I have every right to point out the fallacies of a particular religion especially when it goes against scripture. Show me a "real" Christian (besides me) on this board. Most of the people in here are hellbound whether you want to admit it or not. Perfect timing for you to insert the inevitable HHAHAHA HOOHOHOHOH's now. But, you know I'm right.

2. Of course my pastor is paid. Any pastor anywhere makes his/her living on TITHE. Did you know we are required by God to pay 10% of our income to TITHE? Do you even know what TITHE is? Tithe is the fiscal contribution from members of the congregation which pays the pastor's salary. Pastor's in turn are also required to pay back 10% of their salary to Tithe as well.

3. I didn't say that Mormon and Catholic leaders don't speak to God. I'm saying that God wouldn't and didn't command them or even inspire them to do the things they do. I guess I missed the part in the Bible where God told Brigham Young it's ok to have 7 wives. Maybe you can point out to me which book in the Bible I can find that. Why do I pray you ask? I pray to Jesus several times a day. I first and foremost thank him for my life, my health, my great family, my awesome girlfriend, my incredible friends, the beauty of his creation, my job, keeping a roof over my head, and for food on the table. Then I ask him for things. Things such as spiritual guidance, forgiveness for my sins and transgressions, to protect me and my loved ones while we are at work and that we arrive home safely each evening. That's just a partial list.

4. I wouldn't have a problem with the Mormons believing in Christ's travel to the Americas if it were in the Bible. But it isn't, so I don't believe it happened. I've read Revelation several times. I don't recall seeing anything that would even remotely lead me to believe that Jesus went to the Americas. If I did, then I most certainly wouldn't take such a stance against it. If He did travel to the Americas and speak to the Indians then they would have told us about some man appearing before them to talk to them. They never said that, and they still had a different God for every season and for this and that. You say I'm putting so much stock into a book with so many errors. Show me proof of these so-called errors. Yes, the Bible was written by many different people, and at different times but that does not make it wrong, or erroneous.

5. NIV vs KJV:

Your posts of examples of those scriptures isn't saying or proving anything at all. I can just as well post scripture from each book and show how incredible SIMILAR they are. Want some examples? Ok, here's a random selection:

Luke 6:37 (NIV) "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will not be forgiven."

Luke 6:37 (KJV) "Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven."

Here's some more:

John 3:16 (NIV) "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

John 3:16 (KJV) "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Here's another example:

Matthew 28:18-20 (NIV) "Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations (Mormon loophole?), baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Matthew 28:18-20 (KJV) "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

I could go on and on showing countless examples of how these two books are nearly identical, save for some wording differences.

I came totally prepared and still am. There are no contradictions. As you realize that you're rapidly losing merit with your claims, I am still available for discussion. Whatever happend to Kuwen anyway? He was a cool dude.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:08 pm

Oh, and as for what kind of car my pastor drives... I think it's a minivan, and not a new one at that. And it's none of my business anyway. I wouldn't care if he drove a Hummer H2 and his wife drove a Mercedes.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:15 pm

Hahahhahahahahhaha, hohoohohohohooho

So God told all the christians they need to pay %10 of their income to the church? Hahahahahaha

Hohohohohohohoho...

I can just picture some guy scribbling that in.

"Commandment 11: Thou must pay 5 scribble... no 8... scribble scribble... fuck it 10%!!! of thine income to me... err I mean... god... err damn it, I mean the Church!"
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:16 pm

i think you're missing something. stark differences between two versions of the same verse carry a lot more weight than obvious similarities between two versions of the same verse. and you still haven't commented on how you feel about the Roman Catholic Church leaving its dirty fingerprints all over your bible before you even got it.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:56 pm

brinstar wrote:i think you're missing something. stark differences between two versions of the same verse carry a lot more weight than obvious similarities between two versions of the same verse. and you still haven't commented on how you feel about the Roman Catholic Church leaving its dirty fingerprints all over your bible before you even got it.

I don't think the Catholics changed anything in the Bible. If they did, then there wouldn't be so many contradictions between what the Bible says and the way they preach, teach, and conduct their Masses. The Bible is God's word. He protects it. The men who wrote it were empowered with the Holy Spirit.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:01 pm

so if someone dug up the original scriptures and translated them directly to 21st-century english it would say exactly what your bible says word for word?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tuggan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:02 pm

Im empowered with the Holy Spirit, i'll write ya a new bible for mondern times Mindia. Gime a few days.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby brinstar » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:05 pm

the Holy Spirit would have better spelling than that i should hope
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tuggan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:09 pm

Hey, I never said I was Jesus Christ himself. He just talks to me from time to time and asks me to set stupid fucks like Mindia straight, im allowed to make typos.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Narrock » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:18 pm

brinstar wrote:so if someone dug up the original scriptures and translated them directly to 21st-century english it would say exactly what your bible says word for word?

Yes. And they've already found them. It's called the "Dead Sea Scrolls."
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:19 pm

Tuggan wrote:Hey, I never said I was Jesus Christ himself. He just talks to me from time to time and asks me to set stupid fucks like Mindia straight, im allowed to make typos.

Tuggan, you can't even set yourself straight, let alone anybody else.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tuggan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:37 pm

that doesnt mean im not empowered with the holy spirit, so either way youre gonna have to listen once i write that shit down.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Metranon » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:53 pm

the dead sea scrolls are faded as hell and written in ancient aramaic, i saw a history channel special about this

....as some of you may know when you translate from one language to another, there is some room for interpretation on just what the best way to convey the author's original meaning is in a new language. This is true even with translated versions of novels in french, spanish etc because of the differences in things like verb tense. This can be seen in the way when you buy two different translations of a novel (I just finished Madame Bovary by Gustav Flaubert) there can be subtle differences between the two

when translating from a language like aramaic, from faded scrolls, there is a TON more room for interpretation, in fact its mandatory to do so since there are big differences in verb tense, sentence structure, even vowels and punctuation are totally different. So it's concievable you could have 2 translations of the same scroll and have them say completely different things.

Add to that the fact the bible has been translated from aramaic to hebrew to latin to french and english, edited, and retranslated hundreds of times

so basically for all you know, unless you can read aramaic and have actually read the scrolls yourself, the ten commandments could start with, "If you smoke lots of pot you will get into heaven", the room for interpretation is akin to what muglack mentioned, playing telephone with 12 friends
[/i]
Last edited by Metranon on Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metranon
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Narrock » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:53 pm

/sigh
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Namelesstavern's Finest