hey mindia

Let's throw things at them!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

hey mindia

Postby dammuzis » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:59 am

doesnt this bible scripture forbid you to keep christmas?

Jeremiah 10

1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: 2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. 5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go.
dammuzis
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Langston » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:21 pm

No - it forbids the Jews to celebrate pagan holidays.
Mindia wrote:I was wrong obviously.
Langston
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Dylan » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:29 pm

Damn jewish, always trying to steal Pagan enjoyment.
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby dammuzis » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:39 pm

but arent christians supposed to be like christ? the last time i check he was a jew aslo werent every one of the apostles jewish?

Matthew 5:18 - For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

so if jesus himself says "hey guys follow the law" arnet christians supposed to follow it?
dammuzis
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Langston » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:41 pm

If you considered your question a little deeper, you'd have realized that Jeremiah predated Christ by about 1000 years (estimate) and that therefore it would be pretty pointless to tell the Jews not to celebrate Christ's birth at that point. Hence it couldn't possibly be telling them to not "keep" Christmas.
Langston
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Langston » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:42 pm

Jesus himself was a Jew - as were all of the Apostles. What's your point?
Langston
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:47 pm

We keep Christmas as a tradition, even though we've got Jesus' birthdate incorrect. We will not be punished, or even chastised by God, for celebrating Christ's birth on the wrong date. He knows our hearts. One more thing... does everybody who celebrates Christmas cut a tree down?
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Dylan » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:51 pm

Kinda hard to be the Messiah for a entire religon if you don't follow it, even if they don't believe you.
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby dammuzis » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:01 pm

hey to break it to you but christmas pre-dates christ birth. it was a pagan ritual celebrating the winter solstice which occurs on the 25th of december if you look at the calenders used at the time. what christians call christmas is only mentioned in the above jeremiah scripture in the whole bible
so why dont christians celebrate passover and channuka? christ did both of these (i can find scriptures)
dammuzis
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby dammuzis » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:05 pm

i beleive its the gregorian calender if anyone wants to look it up

plus jesus DID follow the judaic religeon even wore a phylactory and tassels
dammuzis
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:15 pm

We will not be punished, or even chastised by God, for celebrating Christ's birth on the wrong date. He knows our hearts.

So you get a free pass from God because of your good heart, but the fags don't even though they may be far more righteous then you?

Do you have a secret Jesus ham radio like Bush?
Zanchief

Postby brinstar » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:20 pm

dammuzis wrote:christmas pre-dates christ birth. it was a pagan ritual celebrating the winter solstice which occurs on the 25th of december if you look at the calenders used at the time.

true

edit: and i was always of the understanding that whoever picked this date for the celebration of the nativity did so as a hostile-takeover tactic, to try and squeeze out all the pagan celebrations. this part may not be true, i'm not sure-- but what i quoted IS true
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Dylan » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:01 pm

So you're saying.. Jesus is a african american jewish pagan?
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:04 pm

no, are you?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Dylan » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:07 pm

Nope, none of the above, soz~
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Langston » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:17 pm

Dammuzi - it's real simple... Christians don't celebrate the Jewish holidays because they aren't Jewish.

Hannukah, etc. are old testament Jewish. Christmas wasn't called "Christmas" back then either - it was a pagan sun ritual day - and the Catholic church much later used the Birth of Christ as an attempt to squelch this "heresy".

There's no one that will argue that the 25th of December is ACTUALLY Christ's birthday - but we also don't know exactly what day it might be... therefore it's as good as any other day.

The tradition of cutting down a tree and decorating it does have it's roots in pagan ritual - but it's use in the Christian holiday is not one of heresy rather as form of celebration - the purpose behind the tree is not the same and therefore the intention is different.

We don't require God's forgiveness for cutting down a tree that we then decorate in honor of his birthday.

As far as Christ not following Christian rituals instead of Jewish ones... kinda hard to follow rules and rites that didn't exist till after you were dead. Also - he DID create new Christian sacraments - ever heard of the Eucharist (or Communion, etc)? That is a solidly NON-Jewish practice and is one of the most fundamentally important beliefs within at least the Catholic division of Christianity.

Dammuzi - I know what you're ATTEMPTING to do here, but your feeble attempt at posing a "paradox" to try to bring discredit is ignorant and sophmoric. Read up a bit before you make up your mind to try to break down a religion's belief structure with your "superior" intellect.
Langston
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby liquidstayce » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:47 pm

Mindia you scare me :shock:
What happened to you? Did you start dating a born again or something?
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Langston » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:55 pm

Him being religious is "scary"?

That's pretty shallow.
Langston
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:58 pm

I think it's more him going from a womanizing pig to a bible thumping, "moral" crusader in less than a year.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Harrison » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:15 pm

You all pass judgment on people you know so little about, simply amazing.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby dammuzis » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:56 pm

actually i was trying to catch you guys at hypocracy

it is ok for you to celebrate pagan holidays and be christian

but its not ok for two men to stick their dicks in each others assholes and be christian

so why not just have the catholic church sprinkle holy water on homosexuals and call it christian?

im not an intellectual but i did have this christianity garbage forced down my throat for too many years
dammuzis
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Dylan » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:48 pm

"Why don't we all discuss this like good Catholics over a bleeding fat steak next Friday?"

If I remember right, Catholics fast from meat on fridays, so how is the above different from:

"Hey Bill can I pound your asshole tonight?"

"Sure Bob"
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby catseye nameless » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:03 pm

im not an intellectual

are you positive?
catseye nameless
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Narrock » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:00 pm

actually i was trying to catch you guys at hypocracy

... and you fell flat on your face in your attempt to do so.

it is ok for you to celebrate pagan holidays and be christian

I think you missed Ug's post which explained very well.
Here it is again...

Ug sez:
The tradition of cutting down a tree and decorating it does have it's roots in pagan ritual - but it's use in the Christian holiday is not one of heresy rather as form of celebration - the purpose behind the tree is not the same and therefore the intention is different.

Did you get that, or should I post it again? Pagans did not cut down a tree to celebrate Jesus' Birthday.

but its not ok for two men to stick their dicks in each others assholes and be christian

Correct.

so why not just have the catholic church sprinkle holy water on homosexuals and call it christian?

Because, A. God forbids homosexuality, and B. A catholic church sprinkling "holy water" is not in the Bible... it's a totally made-up "Catholic thing." Furthermore, a homosexual claiming to be a Christian is making a mockery of God and betraying Him.

im not an intellectual but i did have this christianity garbage forced down my throat for too many years

My question to you is... Why are you so bitter with Christianity? Are you a homosexual and it ticks you off that God forbids sexual immorality?
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby dammuzis » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:46 pm

no its just christians interpret scripture to suit them
it doesnt matter if you celebrate a pagan holiday to honor god you are still celebrating a pagan holiday

calling it christian because some catholic pope said it was ok in 1100 ad doesnt make it ok in the eyes of god

same thing for easter (doesnt even bother chaning the pagan name fesitval there) samhain or any other of the so called xtian holidays

the scripture i quoted specifically forbids the followers of god to learn the ways of the ways of the pagans .. xmas is a pagan holiday with holy water sprinkled on it cant change that simple fact

you can condem a homosexual for claiming to be christian because the bible forbids it but you can practice clearly pagan traditions just because "my parents did it and the pope said it was ok"
oh god loves you mindia :)
dammuzis
NT Patron
NT Patron

Next

Return to Namelesstavern's Finest