What was the deciding factor?

Let's throw things at them!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:40 am

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby leah » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:41 am

hy·poc·ri·sy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h-pkr-s)
n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies
The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
An act or instance of such falseness.

i think he's expressing believes that he DOES in fact hold, and he isn't one of the cats that didn't vote.... thus.... no hypocrisy here, boss.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby araby » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:42 am

Taxx wrote:No matter who wins (there's no doubt in any rational person's mind that Bush is going to win) the American people still lose. Our country has never been more divided than it has been the past 4 years. It's sad that the person who wins is only going to have support of HALF of the people in the entire country. I'm still waiting for a good candidate who can unite the country and throw aside the stupid political affiliations and do what is best for the country.

right on! They quoted Kerry saying, "In the end, the American people win" and something else....yada yada...but that's bullshit. Half of the support going in one way, and the other half going the other just shows for a fact how divided we are.

I believe that Bush won because the majority of voters did not want to change presidents while in a war with Iraq. I said that before, and still believe it.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:42 am

Lyion wrote:My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

haha good call :boots:

INCONCEIVABLE!!!
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Martrae » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:46 am

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby araby » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:47 am

hahah, that was cute
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Malluas » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:51 am

FEZIC!!!!

I think here are 3 factors

1. Kerry's multiple positions
2. War Time pres and not changing
3. Backlash that started in 94 against the democrats (we are in a republican period in our history)
Malluas
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby leah » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:53 am

agreed.

i sincerely hope that bush has got some really good tricks up his sleeve for the next four years, though. if things progress downward, it won't matter who we elect in four years--there will be a huge pile of shit to sift through no matter what.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:55 am

leah wrote:hy·poc·ri·sy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h-pkr-s)
n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies
The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
An act or instance of such falseness.

i think he's expressing believes that he DOES in fact hold, and he isn't one of the cats that didn't vote.... thus.... no hypocrisy here, boss.

He's griping about voter turnout in an election with record numbers of people going to the polls, Leah, including more young voters. That to me is hypocritical.

Granted, Vonkaar was over the top, but I need to keep vigilant to slap down his statements derived from his over infatuation with young liberal women with common sense.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby leah » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:59 am

that's not hypocritical lyion that's contradictory.

if it was hypocritical (as was said before) he would be bitching about the bad turnout while he himself did NOT vote (therefore contributing to the very thing he was bitching about), which was not the case.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Tacks » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:59 am

2% more...big deal.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:03 am

leah wrote:that's not hypocritical lyion that's contradictory.

if it was hypocritical (as was said before) he would be bitching about the bad turnout while he himself did NOT vote (therefore contributing to the very thing he was bitching about), which was not the case.

No, contradictory would be saying Kerry lost the electoral college but won the election.

My instance of usage here was for Vonkaar to profess a complaint in regards to our country and a lack of voting, which is opposite of what happened in the election, which he obviously knows. I.e., representing what is not true, of which he knows. Hypocrisy.

Anyways, feel free to take my statement to your local English teacher or professor and validate it or not. It is used in the proper context.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tacks » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:09 am

Except he's not griping about TOTAL voter turnout.

He's griping about a very specific demographic in which he is a part of and which he voted in.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby leah » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:18 am

thank you taxx

by most people's use and definition of hypocrisy, he is not being hypocritical.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:24 am

leah wrote:by most people's use and definition of hypocrisy, he is not being hypocritical.

I get the feeling your most people poll is similar to the exit polls from yesterday.

By most people's opinion polled in my house, you are wrong.

Lets leave it that our interpretations are different, k? It is not an invalid usage of the word.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby vonkaar » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:28 am

Hypocrisy would be present if...

I whined about something that I'm doing.

or

I whined about people not doing something that I also didn't do.

Neither example fits. I can see some 'confusion' in the fact that I whined about the 'whole' country when I was specifically pissed at a particular age group... but that's not hypocrisy. Maybe illogical polemics... more likely 'poor choice in verbiage'... but not hypocrisy. Even if Lyion's main point that I was arguing about 'total' voter turnout when we had record numbers was true, it still isn't hypocrisy... it would be an incorrect statement. Hypocrisy is only evident if a party is preaching against an action or idea that he/she actively participates in. Or, reverse... preaching for an action that he denounces elsewhere...
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:35 am

hypocritical - when someone pretends to believe something that they do not really believe

You claimed to hate the country due to a voter turnout issue.

You knew we had record levels of voter turnout, higher levels of young voter turnout, and the biggest level of support in decades.

That to me was hypocritical. Obviously to others it was not.

If you disagree about it being hypocritical, then fine, I respect that.

End of line.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tacks » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:37 am

Lyion, you are wrong.

I've never once heard you ever say you're wrong on this board. Even when you're proven beyond a fucking doubt you're wrong you try to cling to whatever hope you have left and just say "I'm right, if you don't agree, so be it".
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby vonkaar » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:41 am

but... I didn't pretend to believe anything...

I am, in fact, pissed at the low voter turnout for my age group. In comparison to the total voter turnout, my demographic failed to show up. This could be 'the deciding factor' that the thread is focusing on. If my age group saw the same increase that the other groups received, Kerry might have won this. I'm not pretending to believe in something...

Also... that's one of the most 'assuming' definitions of hypocrisy I've ever read. "They do not really believe?" How do you know? You are assuming that I'm not really pissed off" at my age demographic. And... that somehow pegs me as a hypocrite?

Interesting...
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:42 am

Holy shit, Taxx lecturing someone about Board Etiquette. People in hell are enjoying Ice Water.

We're discussing word usage, not an actual issue.

Vonkaar is one of the 'fairest' posters on the board in regards to opinions and discussing things. I'm ten times more hypocritical than he is overall, and not afraid to admit it. That said, this time I feel his post was, and I called him on it. If two or three people disagree, then that won't sway my opinion. I'm sure if it were you, and you felt you were right, you'd change yours based on one or two posts?
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby araby » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:45 am

I'm disgusted too. My boyfriend voted for the first time ever yesterday, and this morning over coffee he said, "You've gotten me so interested and involved in politics, and I am so glad that I voted, but I'm sick to my stomach that my views and opinions don't matter and that Bush will continue to fuck us over." I think that is how a lot of young people feel, especially in lockdown states, and I hate it that their spirit is broken. It's hard enough to get them motivated!

I wanted to say that I heard someone say last night that Bush is a corporation disguised as a person...this made me lol!
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:49 am

You outgrow that feeling, Araby, about the time you switch from Liberal to Conservative. ;)
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby leah » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:50 am

lol mapp

and lyion, you're wrong. if you don't want to admit it, that's cool. but you are.

my best friend is the same way. we can be arguing about something and i can PROVE with HARD FACTUAL EVIDENCE that he's wrong and while he KNOWS he's just been proven wrong he'll still claim that he's right. it's funny actually. now that i've pointed it out to him, we'll fight about something and he'll go "leah. you're not going to get anywhere. we KNOW that i'm always right no matter how wrong i am." it makes me giggle. (gosh i miss him :cry: )

and araby i agree with you 100%
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby vonkaar » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:50 am

Lyion wrote:I'm sure if it were you, and you felt you were right, you'd change yours based on one or two posts?

It doesn't matter if you change your opinion or keep it. Just as long as the average reader knows you are wrong. By proving fault on one issue (even semantecs), it opens the door to a whole world of error. For instance, if you incorrectly called someone a hypocrite, you obviously voted incorrectly. If you misdefine a common word, your reasons for voting for Bush were obviously unjust.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:52 am

vonkaar wrote:
Lyion wrote:I'm sure if it were you, and you felt you were right, you'd change yours based on one or two posts?

It doesn't matter if you change your opinion or keep it. Just as long as the average reader knows you are wrong. By proving fault on one issue (even semantecs), it opens the door to a whole world of error. For instance, if you incorrectly called someone a hypocrite, you obviously voted incorrectly. If you misdefine a common word, your reasons for voting for Bush were obviously unjust.

But my electoral college vote will win, so fuck the popular vote.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

PreviousNext

Return to Namelesstavern's Finest