More evolutionary lies.

Let's throw things at them!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Postby Lyion » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:32 am

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:57 am

lyion wrote:Image

Christianity, A fairy tale for people who can't accept how meaningless their lives are in the "big picture".
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:21 pm

Rust wrote:
Mindia wrote:A. If there were no apes, Gorillas, Chimpanzees, Orangutans, etc. in existence today. Using your illogic... they would have all evolved by now.

They did. They evolved into apes, Gorillas, Chimpazees, and Orangutans, from whatever primate our Last Common Ancestor was, several million years ago (exact estimates vary).

(Variation on the 'if man evolved from apes, why are there still apes', to which the retort 'if Americans are descended from Europeans, why are there still Europeans' usually suffices.)

B. If they found a T-Rex with wings instead of just a similar hip structure and/or other superficial meaningless coincidences.

They have found feathered dinosaurs. Of course, you'll just say feathers and skeletal structure are 'superficial meaningless coincidences'. Wings *are* just arms.

(Variation on 'moving the goalposts' -- keep redefining what you need to show.)

C. If humans were built to walk on all fours (which they're not). We're bipeds, unlike Gorillas and Chimpanzees, who aren't exactly quadrupeds, because that means having 4 feet, but they walk mostly on all fours. They have the ability to walk as bipeds briefly... but there is a HUGE difference.

Humans are partly adapted to walking on two legs - there are still imperfections in our adaptation - the internal organs in the abdomen, for example, and the fact that standing gives us slipped disks and a bad back. Basically we're a quadruped who started walking upright a couple million years ago - the adaptation isn't perfect. In fact, I even heard young humans still walk on all fours, but later learn to walk on two legs! Amazing, isn't it!

(Variation on... I guess the 'argument from incredulity' -- I can't understand this so it must be false.)

I can shoot so many holes in the theory of evolution it would make your head spin. That's why I don't buy into it. That's why I had to change my major in college from Anthropology to <anything else> because I couldn't take the BS anymore. You might as well give up. They're never going to find any "transitional" fossils because there aren't any.

*All* species are transitional. If you understood basic evolutionary theory, you'd know that -- it's basic. The only people who expect a half-fish/half-mammal fossil to show up are the people who don't know squat about evolution. Instead they've found whole lineages of evolutionary transitions that deniers like you just ignore.

This is all basic stuff, you just never looked at it with open eyes. The only thing you're shooting is blanks. (At least you don't lie about it though, I give you credit for that. You're just misinformed.)

--R.

:umno:

Children have to start off crawling, and they do so on their knees not their feet. Nice observation skills you have.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:22 pm

Zanchief wrote:
Ganzo wrote:I don't think you understand the theory of evolution Mindia

lol
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ciladan » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:52 pm

Tossica wrote:
lyion wrote:Image

Christianity, A fairy tale for people who can't accept how meaningless their lives are in the "big picture".

Hehe, the "big picture" is God's plan, and each and every one of us who does His work to contribute to that plan is by no means meaningless in His eyes. :)
Ciladan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Harrison » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:57 pm

Ignorance wrote:Christianity, A fairy tale for people who can't accept how meaningless their lives are in the "big picture".

You have as much a grasp on the "big picture" as the rest of this planet does. Absolutely fucking nothing...
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Darcler » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:27 pm

Mindia wrote:
Rust wrote:
Mindia wrote:A. If there were no apes, Gorillas, Chimpanzees, Orangutans, etc. in existence today. Using your illogic... they would have all evolved by now.

They did. They evolved into apes, Gorillas, Chimpazees, and Orangutans, from whatever primate our Last Common Ancestor was, several million years ago (exact estimates vary).

(Variation on the 'if man evolved from apes, why are there still apes', to which the retort 'if Americans are descended from Europeans, why are there still Europeans' usually suffices.)

B. If they found a T-Rex with wings instead of just a similar hip structure and/or other superficial meaningless coincidences.

They have found feathered dinosaurs. Of course, you'll just say feathers and skeletal structure are 'superficial meaningless coincidences'. Wings *are* just arms.

(Variation on 'moving the goalposts' -- keep redefining what you need to show.)

C. If humans were built to walk on all fours (which they're not). We're bipeds, unlike Gorillas and Chimpanzees, who aren't exactly quadrupeds, because that means having 4 feet, but they walk mostly on all fours. They have the ability to walk as bipeds briefly... but there is a HUGE difference.

Humans are partly adapted to walking on two legs - there are still imperfections in our adaptation - the internal organs in the abdomen, for example, and the fact that standing gives us slipped disks and a bad back. Basically we're a quadruped who started walking upright a couple million years ago - the adaptation isn't perfect. In fact, I even heard young humans still walk on all fours, but later learn to walk on two legs! Amazing, isn't it!

(Variation on... I guess the 'argument from incredulity' -- I can't understand this so it must be false.)

I can shoot so many holes in the theory of evolution it would make your head spin. That's why I don't buy into it. That's why I had to change my major in college from Anthropology to <anything else> because I couldn't take the BS anymore. You might as well give up. They're never going to find any "transitional" fossils because there aren't any.

*All* species are transitional. If you understood basic evolutionary theory, you'd know that -- it's basic. The only people who expect a half-fish/half-mammal fossil to show up are the people who don't know squat about evolution. Instead they've found whole lineages of evolutionary transitions that deniers like you just ignore.

This is all basic stuff, you just never looked at it with open eyes. The only thing you're shooting is blanks. (At least you don't lie about it though, I give you credit for that. You're just misinformed.)

--R.

:umno:

Children have to start off crawling, and they do so on their knees not their feet. Nice observation skills you have.

I didnt crawl on my knees as a baby, I was on my hands and feet, ass to the air. My baby just started crawling and she shows some of the same patterns, she switches from feet to knees.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Wrath Child » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:42 pm

Gidan wrote:
Mindia wrote:Yeah it's pretty cool seeing all the birds nowadays with little arms. Take a good look at that sparrow sitting in the tree outsided your house. Looks like he's been working out. And all those T-Rex fossils that were dug up... look at all the feathers they found with them.

That is something you would say. I guess you missed the whole evolution part. No wait you just refuse to even consider it because you book says god put 2 humans on the planet and we all came from them. Oh wait no, wasn't it that he put 1 human and then created a second from his rib bone or somehting.

I always find it amusing when people laugh at the idea that all humans came from 1 man(Adam), yet won't even show a hint of doubt in believing that all species of life, which have inhabited this sphere since the "beginning" - which totals at least tens of millions, if not billions - came from 1 single-cell organism.

Mindia is right about one thing...

Rust wrote:In fact, I even heard young humans still walk on all fours, but later learn to walk on two legs! Amazing, isn't it!

There's a huge difference between walking and crawling! Rust, how about entertaining us with a tape of you walking around your block on all fours? Show us how our ancestors did it! Oh that would be rich.

My own beliefs fall somewhere between the two camps. I still remember the look on my deeply religious Aunt Penny's face when I asked her at age 10 why the dinosaurs aren't mentioned in the Bible!

Among the many problems I have with the "1 cell, defying incalculable odds time and again, turned into us" theory, one of the most obvious is how absolutely weak and helpless our newborns are for the first couple of years when compared to virtually any other animal, reptile, aviak or fish. This despite our being the dominate species on the planet.

Certainly, it's to be expected that the young of some species - those that live only a fraction of what we humans do - tend to mature quickly and can fend for themselves, but what about those that live roughly as long as we did just 50 years ago? Some crocs, for example, live on average 70 years, which is well past our own even with all of the tremendous advancements we have made in the field of medicine. Same goes for turtles, apes, dolphins, parrots, and too many others to name. While some of these youngsters do need help much like their human counterparts, all are greatly superior to us when it comes to physical development and survival.

One can imagine that even back in the time of the earliest known man, our young then were just as weak as they are now. So did we regress somewhere along the line, or did virtually every other specie on the planet simply evolve beyond us in this one area?

And about those feathers. Does anyone know of a site that shows a model of how feathers might possibly have evolved? I would love to see the gradual transition from hair(or whatever) into feathers. And just how many evolutionary steps did it take? Hundreds? Thousands? Millions?
hntm s bac!
Wrath Child
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Wrath Child » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:45 pm

Darcler wrote:I didnt crawl on my knees as a baby, I was on my hands and feet, ass to the air. My baby just started crawling and she shows some of the same patterns, she switches from feet to knees.

Crawling around doggy style at such a young age explains quite a bit...
Last edited by Wrath Child on Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hntm s bac!
Wrath Child
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Zanchief » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:46 pm

I don't think you guys understand evolution.
Zanchief

Postby Wrath Child » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:11 pm

Zanchief wrote:I don't think you guys understand evolution.

I use to think it was all about the survival of the fitest, but Canada proved that theory wrong! However, the theory pertaining to the meek shall inherit the earth is quite another thing...

By all means, explain what I've posted that so threatens your own beliefs in evolution. I'm curious.
hntm s bac!
Wrath Child
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Tikker » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:21 pm

there's no sense in even trying to "discuss" this

No matter what evidenc is offered, the religious will ignore it

That fact has been proven, over and over
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Yamori » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:22 pm

Harrison wrote:You have as much a grasp on the "big picture" as the rest of this planet does. Absolutely fucking nothing...

We have astronomy and know that there are billions of other galaxies and planets out there. Many of which are destroyed on a daily basis.

I'd say we do have at least a pretty clear picture of how things are: Mainly, that Earth and Life are only important relative to ourselves, and that they don't mean jack in an objective universal perspective.

As for evolution, I haven't read much and am too lazy to do so, so I won't form a firm opinion of it. It does seem more credible than the rest of the silly theories out there that involve big angry men in the sky.
-Yamori
AKA ~~Baron Boshie of the Nameless~~
Yamori
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Wrath Child » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:45 pm

Tikker wrote:there's no sense in even trying to "discuss" this

No matter what evidenc is offered, the religious will ignore it

That fact has been proven, over and over

Really, by all means show me the mountain of proof you have that life began out of nothing and magically transformed itself into everything you currently see. The odds are better that we're nothing but a glorified ant farm some alien schoolgirl made for science class!

Now if you mean evolution in general, then of course you are correct to say it has been proven. Even 99% of the most fanatical religious types will heartily agree to that.
hntm s bac!
Wrath Child
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Tikker » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:50 pm

dipshit

the fact i'm referring to, is that the religious will ignore any evidence for evolution
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Wrath Child » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:02 pm

Tikker wrote:dipshit

the fact i'm referring to, is that the religious will ignore any evidence for evolution

It's safe to say Ganzo is a religious fella. In fact, I'd say he's pretty much a hardcore religious type. Yet I don't recall him ever ignoring "any evidence for evolution" in any of his posts. In fact, in a recent post he seems to be referring to evolution as fact.

Ganzo wrote:Mindia, don't be loony. Evolution does not disprove your religion. Bible just stated that God created universe, it did not specify if it was done with evolution, of snaping fingers

So much for that theory as well...
hntm s bac!
Wrath Child
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Tikker » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:49 pm

I had meant to say "religious wingnuts", not just religious

Ganzo wouldn't fall into the wingnut category
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Wrath Child » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:51 pm

You must be kidding! He's one of the hardest rightwingers on this board. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.
hntm s bac!
Wrath Child
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Lyion » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:03 pm

We don't exactly have a plethora of religious wingnuts here. Perhaps one or two.

We do have a bastion of people who hate religion, though.

What's noble is the search for truth. Unfortunately people on all sides have compromised that search for personal reasons, and their goal of pro or anti religious dogma.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Arlos » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:08 pm

I don't think you'll find too many people who actually hate religion. I certainly don't. What you WILL find is people who hate the dogmatic stances and excesses of the organized Churches. Christianity is a great concept. Christian Churches often are the progenitors of significant evil. If you want a historical reference, see: The Crusades, burnings at the stake, the persecution of Galileo and Copernicus, the Spanish Inquisition, etc. If you want a modern reference, see: Televangelists and Jerry Falwell and his ilk, etc.

There's a big difference between hating a faith and hating the institutions.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:13 pm

Wrath Child wrote:You must be kidding! He's one of the hardest rightwingers on this board. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.

there's a big difference between having faith in what you believe, and completely ignoring what anyone else has to say
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:44 pm

Saying you don't hate Christianity and then spewing forth mountians of angst towards people of faith proves the opposite. Jerry Falwell does not speak for me. I can't recall riding out or supporting the crusades. Just like you did not support slavery, and yet are American, its tough to lump past mistakes on to present people.

If you don't differentiate and attack Christianity then that includes those of us who do not do evil, but are trying through Faith to live life in a way to make the world a better place.

Generally if you hate something, that includes it's current members.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:09 pm

I don't hate religion.

Again, I'm not saying this to be mean, to be judgemental, to hate on religion. I just don't think people on this board truly understand Evolutionary Theory.
Zanchief

Postby Narrock » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:12 pm

Zanchief wrote:I don't think you guys understand evolution.

lol
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:12 pm

Zanchief wrote:I don't hate religion.

Again, I'm not saying this to be mean, to be judgemental, to hate on religion. I just don't think people on this board truly understand Evolutionary Theory.

lol
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Namelesstavern's Finest